The Student Room Group

National 5 Computing Science

Scroll to see replies

Reply 140
Do we need to know about selection and repetition as I've seen it in the 2015 past paper but I don't remember covering it in class?
Original post by Lewis H01
Do we need to know about selection and repetition as I've seen it in the 2015 past paper but I don't remember covering it in class?

Whats that ? :P

Oh dearrrr
Original post by Ethan100
Thank you so much !

Do any of you know what Carbon footprint is ?

Carbon footprint is the overall amount of CO2 and other greenhouse gas emissions produced through the manufacturing, distribution, use and disposal of a product. I think this ties in with the environmental impact section of the course.

Oh dearrrr

That popped up in my prelim and I hadn't been taught it either! It confused me so much.

If you need a question on it the 2014 Paper has one (Question 19 b)
Reply 144

Oh dearrrr

image.jpg
Yeah but what's that got to do with computing ?

In Comp. Sci. it'll refer to the amount of carbon produced during the manufacture, delivery, lifetime and disposal of a computer. Usually it'll be a question along the lines of "Andy has 5 computers in his shop. He wants to buy new ones. Describe the environmental impacts this would have and how he can reduce this" To which the answer would be the massive amount of carbon produced during manufacture and transportation, and it could be reduced by simply upgrading his existing computers.

Original post by alx2000
Does anyone think that there might be a question on normalisation?

Perhaps when you are given a table and you have to show the process.

I personally would really like this to come up however I'm not sure if that is expected at N5 level.

I wouldn't expect that at N5. Saying that I'm doing Higher and only just found out that it's called normalisation. :biggrin:
Original post by PTS_99
In Comp. Sci. it'll refer to the amount of carbon produced during the manufacture, delivery, lifetime and disposal of a computer. Usually it'll be a question along the lines of "Andy has 5 computers in his shop. He wants to buy new ones. Describe the environmental impacts this would have and how he can reduce this" To which the answer would be the massive amount of carbon produced during manufacture and transportation, and it could be reduced by simply upgrading his existing computers.

I wouldn't expect that at N5. Saying that I'm doing Higher and only just found out that it's called normalisation. :biggrin:

Hahaha! Has your higher exam been yet?
Thanks everyone for the help :biggrin:

Do I need to know a lot about DOS/DDOS attacks ?
So if it ever asks us what data structure something is we always write "An array of reals"
Original post by alx2000
Hahaha! Has your higher exam been yet?

Nope, about the same time as yours - 12:40-14:40 for me because of how the school day works where I am.

Thanks everyone for the help :biggrin:

Do I need to know a lot about DOS/DDOS attacks ?

Just what they are, and maybe that a firewall can help prevent them.

And I suggest that you should all stop at this point and get a good nights sleep (like myself). Honestly, it's much better for you than staying up all night trying to cram it all, believe me.
Good luck for the exam guys!
This time tomorrow I'm gonna be so happy. I think I'm honestly gonna bash fallout 4 far harbor, I haven't had the time to play it yet because of exams. Also because I could potentially be free of computing, hated the subject this year.

Posted from TSR Mobile
So if it ever asks us what data structure something is we always write "An array of reals"

Its as an array of (a data type). Not always an array of reals though. The array could be storing a list of names and so in that case it would be an array of strings. But just remember its always an array of something.
Original post by sameehaiqbal
Good luck for the exam guys!

Thanks for all the help everyone

Wish you all the best in the exam :smile:
Original post by yeolk
I have the book with model papers, i can send it to you but through private message

Any chance you could also send them to me? Would really appreciate it
Reply 155
i've only got to get 47 or so in this exam to get an A, after getting 58/60 in my assignment

the assignment was worth wayyyy too much imo
ok so I thought that was ridiculously hard haha, please tell me someone else thought the same.
I found that quite straightforward.

There were some hard pseudocode questions, But overall not bad.

I think I've lost a lot of marks on pseudocode questions.

There were a few questions that we weren't taught about like the user one, But they were just 1 markers.

I think I've done well (hopefully)
Reply 158
that was a lot harder than i was anticipating lol

i'm still confident i got an A, it's just that some of the questions were a bit vague
what did you guys put for the dog grooming question where you're asked why the total is still the same even after a new number is introduced to the array?

i wrote that they hadn't extended their loop (i had to assume they used a fixed loop, that was the only explanation, although i can not fathom why anyone would use a fixed loop in that situation) and they just had not extended their loop to compensate for the extra variable.
Reply 159
How did everyone find it?

For the calculation of the photo did anyone get 36.05MB
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending