The Student Room Group

I may get DISQUALIFIED... need help please!

Hey guys!

So I'm posting in the general A level forum but I need help as the title says I may be disqualified. Anyone with experience in this situation or anyone with advice will help a ton and I will appreciate it alot!

Now let's get into it, today I was resitting my AS level OCR F211 Biology exam and we started the exam as usual but then the examiner stopped everyone for roughly 30 seconds to explain fire hazards. So let's move on the examiner says stop writing and I'm just finishing my word I was writing and within two seconds he told me to stop writing in the instant and I do as I'm told. He takes me onto the examiners office and explains that I was trying to gain an unfair advantage which I clearly was not, it was literally 2 seconds, no exaggeration where I was finishing my last word which I did not even finish writing before he stopped me. I could say the stoppage at the beginning I expected like 10 more seconds infact we finished exactly at 2:14 when we started at 1:14 but we had that delay which confused me. He also said that since he was at the front it was some time I was writing since I was the back and saw me later when he walked further back- that is a blatant lie from the examiner, I was in the middle row P seat 7 and he was standing maybe 2 metres ahead of me. Now the head examiner in my school says he cannot be lying and I will need to write a letter of my side which should be very apologetic so I do not get disqualified as the examiner sends an explanation of the infringement of the rules... really two seconds may ruin all my life that I've been going to school?

Now I ask for help on what to write in the letter or any advice. I really was not going to make this thread but it has got into my head and I just need to pump the frustration out (I should be frevising for my Chemistry resit tomorrow but I can't due to this!).
Reply 1
same nearly happened to me , i was nearly disqualified for turning to the left and apparently "smiling" to the person next to me , by the
invigilator's words and i had to write a letter and give it in to exams office. But fortunatly nothiing happened because the papers were collected in already so nothing happened. So when writing your letter just say what you saw and what happened with full facts. Thats stupid that they are having a go at you for 2 seconds , i always keep writing for about another 30 seconds until they get to my row. (coincidentally it was also Biology which i nearly got disqualified) :biggrin:
I am an invigilator. This situation is unaaceptable. They are at fault for starting the exam and then stopping it without warning. You should not be worried - the exam board will think they are being ridiculous.
Reply 3
Original post by jin_f7
Hey guys!

So I'm posting in the general A level forum but I need help as the title says I may be disqualified. Anyone with experience in this situation or anyone with advice will help a ton and I will appreciate it alot!

Now let's get into it, today I was resitting my AS level OCR F211 Biology exam and we started the exam as usual but then the examiner stopped everyone for roughly 30 seconds to explain fire hazards. So let's move on the examiner says stop writing and I'm just finishing my word I was writing and within two seconds he told me to stop writing in the instant and I do as I'm told. He takes me onto the examiners office and explains that I was trying to gain an unfair advantage which I clearly was not, it was literally 2 seconds, no exaggeration where I was finishing my last word which I did not even finish writing before he stopped me. I could say the stoppage at the beginning I expected like 10 more seconds infact we finished exactly at 2:14 when we started at 1:14 but we had that delay which confused me. He also said that since he was at the front it was some time I was writing since I was the back and saw me later when he walked further back- that is a blatant lie from the examiner, I was in the middle row P seat 7 and he was standing maybe 2 metres ahead of me. Now the head examiner in my school says he cannot be lying and I will need to write a letter of my side which should be very apologetic so I do not get disqualified as the examiner sends an explanation of the infringement of the rules... really two seconds may ruin all my life that I've been going to school?

Now I ask for help on what to write in the letter or any advice. I really was not going to make this thread but it has got into my head and I just need to pump the frustration out (I should be frevising for my Chemistry resit tomorrow but I can't due to this!).

Your examiner is a **** unfortunately. In my school they allow for students to finish the sentence they are on. You could argue that in your whole time at school you have never once been accused of cheating and you could show them your disciplinary record and attendance to show that you are not that kind of person.
Invigilators piss me off, you don't even understand.
When you say examiner do you mean invigilator? Is this just someone to oversee the exam or someone connected to the exam board?
Will other candidates back you up on the 30 second thing? Presumably there are clocks with hands that show the seconds?

You have to decide how contrite you want to be and how far you wnat to stick to your own version. Presumably there was another invigilator who can back the original one up? You will find it hard to go against the words of two of them. Do you feel you wnat to dispute the claim or do you wnat to be sorry?
You claim 2 seconds, but to stop you that fast he would have had to have been stood beside you.

If it were me I would just focus on Chemistry tomorrow and write the letter after. Did the head examiner sau how long you had to write the letter? I know you may be worried, but you have to focus elsewhere.
Original post by cazza0104
I am an invigilator. This situation is unaaceptable. They are at fault for starting the exam and then stopping it without warning. You should not be worried - the exam board will think they are being ridiculous.

It would be highly unprofessional to start the exam and then stop it to explain fire precautions. I would expect them to do that before the exam started.

It would be incorrect once stopped not to add the time lost onto the end of the time available.

If there is another invigilator who backs him up then the OP will find that very hard to overturn. There are two versions and so you need to reserve judgment about which one might be true.
Reply 7
Thank you for all the support and advice guys! I meant invigilator and not the examiner, my mistake sorry. If another invigilator backs the one invigilator of the accusations but I have peer's in the exam hall who can back me up since they spoke to me afterwards and thought it was ridiculous also. I am now confident that I won't get disqualified, it just seems the invigilators may want to fill their "quota" of invigilating by reporting me.
Reply 8
Original post by alhrona
same nearly happened to me , i was nearly disqualified for turning to the left and apparently "smiling" to the person next to me , by the
invigilator's words and i had to write a letter and give it in to exams office. But fortunatly nothiing happened because the papers were collected in already so nothing happened. So when writing your letter just say what you saw and what happened with full facts. Thats stupid that they are having a go at you for 2 seconds , i always keep writing for about another 30 seconds until they get to my row. (coincidentally it was also Biology which i nearly got disqualified) :biggrin:

Yeah my paper was collected in by another invigilator, thanks for the heads up.

Original post by cazza0104

thank you for the support!

Original post by Sid2106
Your examiner is a **** unfortunately. In my school they allow for students to finish the sentence they are on. You could argue that in your whole time at school you have never once been accused of cheating and you could show them your disciplinary record and attendance to show that you are not that kind of person.

yeah that certain invigilator is one of those people who hate their lives so they make it miserable for others, he even said he wanted to use me as an example... I will definitely show my disciplinary record thanks!

Original post by Adzkii786
Invigilators piss me off, you don't even understand.

exactly, miserable examiner with nothing better to do. thanks

Original post by 999tigger
When you say examiner do you mean invigilator? Is this just someone to oversee the exam or someone connected to the exam board?
Will other candidates back you up on the 30 second thing? Presumably there are clocks with hands that show the seconds?

You have to decide how contrite you want to be and how far you wnat to stick to your own version. Presumably there was another invigilator who can back the original one up? You will find it hard to go against the words of two of them. Do you feel you wnat to dispute the claim or do you wnat to be sorry?
You claim 2 seconds, but to stop you that fast he would have had to have been stood beside you.

If it were me I would just focus on Chemistry tomorrow and write the letter after. Did the head examiner sau how long you had to write the letter? I know you may be worried, but you have to focus elsewhere.

yes sorry I mean invigilator* and I also have back up from my peers in the exam hall, I'll probably be apologetic in the letter and explain the context. I have until tomorrow morning before my exam to give in the letter-.-

It would be highly unprofessional to start the exam and then stop it to explain fire precautions. I would expect them to do that before the exam started.

It would be incorrect once stopped not to add the time lost onto the end of the time available.

If there is another invigilator who backs him up then the OP will find that very hard to overturn. There are two versions and so you need to reserve judgment about which one might be true.

thank you for the advice!
Reply 9
It is ridiculous to stop the exam and explain the fire alarm, this is not a such important and necessary matter as if the exam cannot continue without it. Even if they did forget about the fire alarm and the fire alarm did engage, they still have plenty of time to let students stop writing and explain about it. This is very unprofessional.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by jin_f7
Thank you for all the support and advice guys! I meant invigilator and not the examiner, my mistake sorry. If another invigilator backs the one invigilator of the accusations but I have peer's in the exam hall who can back me up since they spoke to me afterwards and thought it was ridiculous also. I am now confident that I won't get disqualified, it just seems the invigilators may want to fill their "quota" of invigilating by reporting me.

I would just write a letter saying the exact truth (personally) and maybe say you think the invigilator is being unreasonable in his or her punishment.

But take my advice as a pinch of salt as I don't want to be liable for you. :tongue:
Original post by jin_f7
Hey guys!

I'd write something like this draft

You need to be happy and sure of the details , as ive gone off what you said. Remember he will dispute some, but if the events happened as you said and you are sure then I would defend that. I tried to put a bit of contrition in there and bigged up the seriousness of how you are taking it, but you have to be happy with it.

If there was another invigilator who confirm his version then its an uphill battle. the one thing the other students have to confirm is that the exam was stopped, it took x seconds and these were not added back on.

Imo they will do nothing once they hear your side and assuming it remains just your word against his. Diuvly so if its confirmed they stopped the exam and didnt give you the time back.

Dear Sir
Re: Alleged Exam infringement
I am a year [ ] student, who attends [ ] school.On 26 May 2016 I sat the OCR Biology exam F211.

I understand I have been reported for an allegedinfringement and am writing this letter to explain my version of events. The exam started for everyone at 1:14, at approximately [ time] the exam was surprisinglyhalted and the invigilator proceeded to explain about fire hazards in the exam. This took no lessthan 30 seconds. The examination was restarted and concluded at 2:14 exactly.

At that time (2:14) I was finishing my last sentence, infact it was the last word, when I was stopped by the invigilator. I believethis was no more than a few (2) seconds past 2:14. I was then taken aside and accused of trying to claim an unfair advantage, for which I am now being reported. The invigilator claims to have taken several seconds to walk to me, except he was only a few metres away from me (middle row P seat 7), when he told me to stopwriting instantly, which I did.

I am horrified that I have been reported and believe it ismost unfair.

1. I am a student of good character and have neverbeen accused of or been in trouble for exam infringement throughout myeducation. I take exams seriously and have studied hard as I know how essentialmy education is for future progress.

2. I was neither trying to nor did I gain anyadvantage.

3. I think it was disruptive that the exam wasstarted, then stopped for fire safety regulations. I’d have expected them to begone through before starting.

4. It was also unfair that the time lost for goingthrough those regulations (I believe 30 seconds) was not added on to the actual exam time. Considering my alleged infringement was just a few (2) seconds, then had the time been rightly added back, there would have been no report.

I realise the seriousness of being accused of anything to dowith exam rules and this has created a highly stressful situation having todefend myself against disqualification by writing this letter, when I haveexams to sit tomorrow. I am very sorry I have gone over by 2 seconds, but I wasmost definitely not trying to gain an advantage. I also feel quite unhappy thatthe time taken for the fire hazard explanation was not given back to us, as Iwould then have been able to finish my sentence. Other students are willing toverify the fact time was not added back.

Thank you for listening to my version of events.

Yours faithfully Blob

PS Just get the letter in and focus on your next exam.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 12
Original post by InneRs
It is ridiculous to stop the exam and explain the fire alarm, this is not a such important and necessary matter as if the exam cannot continue without it. Even if they did forget about the fire alarm and the fire alarm did engage, they still have plenty of time to let students stop writing and explain about it. This is very unprofessional.

Original post by XcitingStuart
I would just write a letter saying the exact truth (personally) and maybe say you think the invigilator is being unreasonable in his or her punishment.

But take my advice as a pinch of salt as I don't want to be liable for you. :tongue:

I'd write something like this draft

You need to be happy and sure of the details , as ive gone off what you said. Remember he will dispute some, but if the events happened as you said and you are sure then I would defend that. I tried to put a bit of contrition in there and bigged up the seriousness of how you are taking it, but you have to be happy with it.

If there was another invigilator who confirm his version then its an uphill battle. the one thing the other students have to confirm is that the exam was stopped, it took x seconds and these were not added back on.

Imo they will do nothing once they hear your side and assuming it remains just your word against his. Diuvly so if its confirmed they stopped the exam and didnt give you the time back.

PS Just get the letter in and focus on your next exam.

Thank you guys for the help, all is resolved now and the exam office will not report it as the invigilator stopped the exam to explain the fire hazard which I stated in the letter.
Thank god - they didn't want to to get into trouble for stopping the exam. It was unacceptable to have you go throug this; I hope that you did well in your chemistry exam and get what you deserve. All the best fir your future .

X
Reply 14
Original post by jin_f7
Hey guys!

get a lawyer
Original post by KA2018
get a lawyer

This thread is 2 year old.
Reply 16
This thread is by a 2 year old.*
Original post by Compost
This thread is 2 year old.
(edited 4 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest