The Student Room Group

Operation Black Vote

Scroll to see replies

Original post by MrControversial
The political message is obvious.

You have a current system that allows unlimited immigration. We have several minorities against the native majority. Minorities can be turned into victim identities, it's almost like protectorates within a country. The same psychology we might use to fear monger countries near to Russia into seeking our protection and getting them aligned with us.

You see there's a big white racist man, representing the white threatening scary majority and the innocent "sleeping" or submissive Asian woman. Don't vote or vote to stay and the majority will remain, minorities will be under threat as they will not be able to receive reinforcements, the majority will win, the majority will survive. Actually that's pretty anti-democratic way to destroy the majority you don't like.

Eack.

no one is going to meticulously analyse it like you have done, its a simple poster you see in the road ffs
Original post by lolatmaths
no one is going to meticulously analyse it like you have done, its a simple poster you see in the road ffs

I haven't analysed it, I've merely introspected the emotions it provokes. That's how posters like these work. It's clearly saying emotionally at a glance that they are under attack from the whites and by not voting they are taking it. The assumption is that if they vote they will vote to remain, that is a given.
Original post by joecphillips
How does it not?
Look at the definition of thug you are saying that white people voting to leave the eu are violent or a criminal how is that different from saying Muslims commit certain crimes?

I don't need a safe space and if you don't realise that my statement was being as rediculous as the thought that all white people wanting to leave are violent criminals then you need help.

Both of them are yet you accept one but not the other why are you so hypocritical?

You seriously think saying "white brexiters are violent thugs" incites hatred against white brexiters? You think people are going to think, "oh. i hate white brexiters because theyre all racist thugs."?

Seriously, go back to that safe space. You need help if you think youre going to be hated for voting brexit. But if we create a social perception thanks to rash idiots like you saying "muslims are going to rape and bomb us", this will instigate fear and that will lead to religious hatred. The former isnt extreme in the slightest, the latter is a very extreme and real possibility.
Reply 23

Whereas the met police were in trouble for playing on stereotypes a few weeks ago, that was meticulously analysed

The stereotype was suicide bombings are commit by Muslims
http://www.timesofisrael.com/450-of-452-suicide-attacks-in-2015-were-by-muslim-extremists-study-shows/
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 24
You seriously think saying "white brexiters are violent thugs" incites hatred against white brexiters? You think people are going to think, "oh. i hate white brexiters because theyre all racist thugs."?

Seriously, go back to that safe space. You need help if you think youre going to be hated for voting brexit. But if we create a social perception thanks to rash idiots like you saying "muslims are going to rape and bomb us", this will instigate fear and that will lead to religious hatred. The former isnt extreme in the slightest, the latter is a very extreme and real possibility.

So saying one group is criminals ok
Saying a different group commit crimes = inciting racial hatred
I haven't analysed it, I've merely introspected the emotions it provokes. That's how posters like these work. It's clearly saying emotionally at a glance that they are under attack from the whites and by not voting they are taking it. The assumption is that if they vote they will vote to remain, that is a given.

thats your interpretation. However the media, general public and the people at Saachi and Saachi and OPV have said that it is meant to say "dont be intimidated, go out and vote as you please"

As a result of the poster being hyperbolic, youve twisted the message to suit your own agenda and victimised yourself.
I don't quite get what the poster is supposed to show. Why does the white man appear to be shouting at the Asian woman? Are they trying to imply that minorities are being silenced and discriminated against? Because that is not true. Either way, everyone should make up their mind and vote!
thats your interpretation. However the media, general public and the people at Saachi and Saachi and OPV have said that it is meant to say "dont be intimidated, go out and vote as you please"

As a result of the poster being hyperbolic, youve twisted the message to suit your own agenda and victimised yourself.

Intimidated by who?
Whereas the met police were in trouble for playing on stereotypes a few weeks ago, that was meticulously analysed

The stereotype was suicide bombings are commit by Muslims
http://www.timesofisrael.com/450-of-452-suicide-attacks-in-2015-were-by-muslim-extremists-study-shows/

Yes, thanks for your source, freshly pulled from the unbiased "times of israel"

It was controversial, politically incorrect and the problem that people had was whether it was necessary to do so and caused unnecessary offence. If you refer to my "smart peoples guide to political correctness", you'll see necessity is a criteria that i think. My opinion on it? Idk, seems a little over the top, but it could add to the realism, but how much of an impact is it really.
(edited 7 years ago)
So saying one group is criminals ok
Saying a different group commit crimes = inciting racial hatred

No one has said brexiters are criminals. Its a picture. A guy with tattoos is intimidating, hes not necessarily a criminal.

You on the other hand blatantly said "Muslims rape and blow themselves up"

Typical TSR idiot playing dumb to continue this argument.
Intimidated by who?

Media, brexiters who say stuff like "immigrants are stealing jobs, burden to this country, kick em out" etc etc
Reply 31
Yes, thanks for your source, freshly pulled from the unbiased "times of israel"

It was controversial, politically incorrect and the problem that people had was whether it was necessary to do so and caused unnecessary offence. If you refer to my "smart peoples guide to political correctness", you'll see necessity is a criteria that i think is necessary. My opinion on it? Idk, seems a little over the top, but it could add to the realism, but how much of an impact is it really.

Do you have a source what contradicts this?

My point is playing up to stereotypes is acceptable one way but people defend it when it happens the other way
How does it not?
Look at the definition of thug you are saying that white people voting to leave the eu are violent or a criminal how is that different from saying Muslims commit certain crimes?

I don't need a safe space and if you don't realise that my statement was being as rediculous as the thought that all white people wanting to leave are violent criminals then you need help.

Both of them are yet you accept one but not the other why are you so hypocritical?

+1 for his majesty milo yiannopoulis as your display picture.

My point is playing up to stereotypes is acceptable one way but people defend it when it happens the other way

Which is unacceptable. But saying "brexiters are thugs" and "muslims rape and blow themselves up" are not comparable and any normal person could see how the latter incites hatred.
Reply 34
Which is unacceptable. But saying "brexiters are thugs" and "muslims rape and blow themselves up" are not comparable and any normal person could see how the latter incites hatred.

How does one and not the other? They both are attacking a group based on what they think is right.
The only difference between the 2 is that one has actual evidence to back it up.
Media, brexiters who say stuff like "immigrants are stealing jobs, burden to this country, kick em out" etc etc

Now you're reaching. Let's get back to the subject at hand, the poster.

Who is intimidating who in this picture?

Honestly when I came here I had my preconceptions. I actually expected people to be going over the top about it and that it would not be that bad. I visited this thread with the intention in mind to tone things down so when I looked at the poster I sought to understand it towards those ends. I had the whole thing in my mind and was eager to open the image to witness it according to this design, I was going to do my favourite thing and be the voice of balance. I expected it to be trivially controversial but no more. On actually looking at it though I actually came to realise it is a bit worse than I expected and genuinely worthy of criticism.

The poster is obviously a dick move to anyone who isn't bias, puts aside their pre-expectations, etc and so on. I suggest you try to put aside yours and look at it for what it is.

On a side note, which is something I only just considered, the fact that it equates Black with Asian also makes me wonder about the sect that produces it (there are a portion of black people who believe that they and Indian's should be considered the same because of dark skin although Ghandi would be aghast). That sect believes in the darker skins (or all other minorities) joining together against the white majority. However it could be mere coincidence as well. I think that's coincidence to be honest but I would like to raise awareness of that concept.
(edited 7 years ago)
How does one and not the other? They both are attacking a group based on what they think is right.
The only difference between the 2 is that one has actual evidence to back it up.

thats political incorrectness. And no, as ive said, they're not saying brexiters are all criminals, stop victimising yourself. In fact, theyre just portraying brexiters as aggressive.

Im starting to think youre deliberately being stupid now.
Now you're reaching. Let's get back to the subject at hand, the poster.

Who is intimidating who in this picture?

Honestly when I came here I had my preconceptions. I actually expected people to be going over the top about it and that it would not be that bad. I visited this thread with the intention in mind to tone things down so when I looked at the poster I sought to understand it towards those ends. I expected it to be a bit controversial but no more. On actually looking at it though I actually came to realise it is a bit worse than I expected and genuinely worthy of criticism.

The poster is obviously a dick move to anyone who isn't bias, puts aside their pre-expectations, etc and so on. I suggest you try to put aside yours and look at it for what it is.

On a side note, which is something I only just considered, the fact that it equates Black with Asian also makes me wonder about the sect that produces it (there are a portion of black people who believe that they and Indian's should be considered the same because of dark skin although Ghandi would be aghast). That sect believes in the darker skins (or all other minorities) joining together against the white majority. However it could be mere coincidence as well. I think that's coincidence to be honest but I would like to raise awareness of that concept.

I never said the feeling was wholly rational, its partly irrational too. The point is, such a feeling exists. this shows that we are all equal, minority or not and all our votes are equal. The poster reinforces that idea.

The rest, refer to my original post.
Reply 38
thats political incorrectness. And no, as ive said, they're not saying brexiters are all criminals, stop victimising yourself. In fact, theyre just portraying brexiters as aggressive.

Im starting to think youre deliberately being stupid now.

You said it portrays brexit era as white thugs on post 15.

The definition of thug is a violent person, especially a criminal.
I never said the feeling was wholly rational, its partly irrational too. The point is, such a feeling exists. this shows that we are all equal, minority or not and all our votes are equal. The poster reinforces that idea.

The rest, refer to my original post.

Most people glimpse at this poster going by and see a big white thug with undertones of neo-nazism and far right sans swastikas and explicit references because no one could get away with that and see an Asian lady hanging her head in shame or submission as the loud thug drowns her out. It's clearly a racial poster pitting the races against one another with the seesaw as a hidden message that they actually weigh the same or at least will should they vote to remain.

And yes, look at the meanings in that too, vote to remain, they are voting to remain, their existence is in peril. But yes, that's a deeper message that wont be picked up by most or will be subconsciously especially as most people live in a state of perpetual existential crisis.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending