The Student Room Group

I'm depressed AMA

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by ServantOfMorgoth
My counsellor wasn't that bad. But I had to literally put off my depression for this semester otherwise I'd be in deep deep **** lol, I didn't do such a good job with that either. But now that it's over I'm in hell.

how do you even do that plz teach me
like "oh hold the line please just gotta get my **** together one moment" :eek:
Original post by z33
how do you even do that plz teach me
like "oh hold the line please just gotta get my **** together one moment" :eek:

It's not even a good method because it was fueled by anxiety and fear of being kicked out of uni.
They just refer you to some quack psychologist/counsellor/psychiatrist who guesses what's wrong with you or judges you and don't say much.

Exactly. They don't really care.
What will you say to him?

I am actually a girl.
My apologies, OP!

What will you say to him?

Depends on what she's willing to talk about.
Original post by sameehaiqbal
What did you get up to today and what are your plans for tomorrow?

I'm always a PM away if you ever need a chat OP. I am feeling quite down too today :redface:

I went out with friends to celebrate, tomorrow I'm also going out with a friend. I really really do not want to but we have planned this for a long time and I can't just say no now.

Thank you for your kind words. What made you feel down today?
Original post by Anonymous
I went out with friends to celebrate, tomorrow I'm also going out with a friend. I really really do not want to but we have planned this for a long time and I can't just say no now.

Thank you for your kind words. What made you feel down today?

I just have a lot going on at home I suppose :redface:
What did you celebrate today? You're lucky you even have friends, I don't have much of a social life :biggrin:
Original post by FireFreezer77
Are you feeling any better after making this thread (i know its not been long).
You can always talk to me if you want to! :hugs: !!

I actually am. I had a shower and tried not to think about it but the memories keep coming again.

Thank you.
Original post by sameehaiqbal
I just have a lot going on at home I suppose :redface:
What did you celebrate today? You're lucky you even have friends, I don't have much of a social life :biggrin:

Aww well I hope everything goes well for you. :smile:

Finishing exams. Aww have you thought about joining groups or societies?
I actually am. I had a shower and tried not to think about it but the memories keep coming again.

Thank you.

Ah excellent! I'm glad to hear it!
Ah well that's the bad part. You're gonna have to try and keep occupied so that your mind is busy thinking of other stuff!

No worries. As I said earlier, I'm always available for a chat!
whatever you do, make sure you seriously acknowledge it and tell someone.

next step, get diagnosed and take the medication every. single. day.

i didn't find the counselling helped as much as the medication, and i've been through both private and nhs (diagnosed under private first time, didn't take the meds, then after 2 years of more depression i had a psychotic episode which was diagnosed by nhs who pretty much force feed you the meds, at least at the time (which, in this instance, was a good thing!))
Original post by FireFreezer77
Ah excellent! I'm glad to hear it!
Ah well that's the bad part. You're gonna have to try and keep occupied so that your mind is busy thinking of other stuff!

No worries. As I said earlier, I'm always available for a chat!

Thank you for your advice. :smile:
Thank you for your advice. :smile:

No worries! It helped me out so I thought I'd share it with you! :smile:
Original post by aNewBeginning

i didn't find the counselling helped as much as the medication, and i've been through both private and nhs (diagnosed under private first time, didn't take the meds, then after 2 years of more depression i had a psychotic episode which was diagnosed by nhs who pretty much force feed you the meds, at least at the time (which, in this instance, was a good thing!))

Wow it sounds like you had it really hard. That ordeal sounds terrible.

I would rather take care of myself and try to treat it on my own.

I'm glad it worked out for you though, and I hope you are much better now. :smile:

And I can't believe they force fed you, is that really a thing?
And I can't believe they force fed you, is that really a thing?

well i guess 'force feed' is a bit strong, but when i was at the mental health unit (isolated from the outside world after the episode) they pretty much said 'take this' after every meal and they would make sure you take it. i was so ill that the first day i spat the pill back out in the nurses face and i was even given the 'naughty needle' (puts you to sleep for a while if you are too ill to be around other people). this was late 2013 which was a mess and a half of a year.

nearly 3 years later i'm about to enter my final year of a physics degree! it is definitely curable but it takes time and patience and acknowledgement.
I would rather take care of myself and try to treat it on my own.

I'm glad it worked out for you though, and I hope you are much better now. :smile:

Depression is an illness, and sometimes you need treatment for it. There's a lot of help you can get, even if it's just a counsellor to talk to. I never thought therapy would help, but I had a few sessions years ago and it changed my life. Not working for me this time around, but it's still worth trying.
I am actually a girl.
I thought so :h:

Hope nothing's too dreadfully wrong :hugs: keep buggering on, eh?
My counsellor wasn't that bad. But I had to literally put off my depression for this semester otherwise I'd be in deep deep **** lol, I didn't do such a good job with that either. But now that it's over I'm in hell.

how do you just put off an illness

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending