The Student Room Group

RESIT Edexcel Biology Unit 1 - 26th May (6BI01)

Scroll to see replies

Wow, I honestly don't know how I've done on this exam. I got confused by the question about the triplet codes at the beginning of the paper, as I didn't think that AUG would have counted since it's a start signal. But no, I was wrong ;( Also, the last questions at the end of the paper about Malaria threw me off as well, especially since I was coming very close to running out of time.
I have never ever seen a bio exam question this lengthy - the Sickle cell anaemia question on Africans
Original post by kosmooos
How about question on dietary advice? Anyone?

I think i said:
- eat more beef
- less corn oil
- substitute olive oil with butter

then said for each one because they are high in saturated fats etc...

Does this sound like 3 marks worth?

I didn't go into specifics about the types because it was dietary advice and nobody mentions specific aminio acids or lipids when talking diets

What did you put?
Original post by Excuse Me!
I think i said:
- eat more beef
- less corn oil
- substitute olive oil with butter

then said for each one because they are high in saturated fats etc...

Does this sound like 3 marks worth?

I didn't go into specifics about the types because it was dietary advice and nobody mentions specific aminio acids or lipids when talking diets

What did you put?

Idk if you're joking but this is the opposite of what they were looking for. Saturated fats are the bad ones and they have no double carbon bonds, meaning beef and butter should both be cut out of the diet and more corn oil should be consumed. It sounds like you got it mixed up :/
Original post by splog23
Idk if you're joking but this is the opposite of what they were looking for. Saturated fats are the bad ones and they have no double carbon bonds, meaning beef and butter should both be cut out of the diet and more corn oil should be consumed. It sounds like you got it mixed up :/

Fairly sure I knew at the time, just couldn't remember as I was typing it

At this point I've got rid of half the content from my mind haha.
Original post by splog23

That's what I put. I put something like eat more corn oil and olive oil. Higher proportion of unsaturated to saturated (HDL:LDL) and because they contain unsaturated fatty acids which have C=C double bonds. I also put corn oil lowers cholesterol and olive oil doesn't have an effect. However, I didn't put about consequence of cholesterol. Do you think it was required there or was it just about spotting unsaturated fatty acids in food by looking at number of double bonds?
That's what I put. I put something like eat more corn oil and olive oil. Higher proportion of unsaturated to saturated (HDL:LDL) and because they contain unsaturated fatty acids which have C=C double bonds. I also put corn oil lowers cholesterol and olive oil doesn't have an effect. However, I didn't put about consequence of cholesterol. Do you think it was required there or was it just about spotting unsaturated fatty acids in food by looking at number of double bonds?

I think it's you put the right recomendations and at why them it could get 3. It probably had 5 marking points and the effect was 2 of them
Original post by Oshoko
I think it's you put the right recomendations and at why them it could get 3. It probably had 5 marking points and the effect was 2 of them

I doubt it was 5 marker.
I doubt it was 5 marker.

Yeah 3 marks for the question but possible 5 points in mark scheme to get the 3 marks
Original post by Oshoko
Yeah 3 marks for the question but possible 5 points in mark scheme to get the 3 marks

No, mark scheme gives a lot of points but it's because different students might write different things. You only need 3/5 to get 3 marks. Every point worth a mark. That's what my biology teacher told me
What did you guys say in response to the question where the red blood cells had burst and it asked for an explanation as to why they had burst ?
Original post by oliver3110
What did you guys say in response to the question where the red blood cells had burst and it asked for an explanation as to why they had burst ?

High solute conc. /low water conc inside cells, and as distilled water has no molecules in it, it would move via osmosis into the cells, and the osmotic effect would make them swell and in some cases burst.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm also doing fast track biology as an external candidate - it's stressful! I found the paper hard and much harder than the past papers I'd been practising with. I completely messed up question 8 about the malaria and anaemia as I was rushing and didn't read the question properly. Need to do better on the next 3! :-/
Original post by chemica
what mark do you think for an A ? 62-4?

68 / 70
Original post by Kat_b255
I'm also doing fast track biology as an external candidate - it's stressful! I found the paper hard and much harder than the past papers I'd been practising with. I completely messed up question 8 about the malaria and anaemia as I was rushing and didn't read the question properly. Need to do better on the next 3! :-/

same here buddy! I need an A for uni! Praying to god atm 2bh.
Original post by chemica
same here buddy! I need an A for uni! Praying to god atm 2bh.

I need a B and definitely didn't get a B in that one! I was hoping they'd ask about the heart in detail, or protein synthesis but no! Let's hope the next one is easier! Fingers crossed for you too!
Is anyone here also retaking unit 2? because im not sure what to revise for, any ideas of what might come up?
Reply 137
Original post by moonandstars
Aw hey! :smile: Nice to hear from someone else in the same boat I think I was the only external candidate in my centre today haha. Yeah I feel exactly the same, are you taking the course to get into university if you don't mind me asking? I have a conditional offer and need a B in Biology so stressful and hard to trust myself that I'm learning the right thing as its mostly self taught! Yeah same I wish we could know our coursework sooner. Will we only know about coursework on results day? Best of Luck :smile:

Yes I need a C in biology to get into university this September. I've tried to get my tutor to give me an idea of my coursework mark and only got "you've done very well and addressed all the feedback." So I'm hoping for a B at the very least from coursework. The marks will come out with the exam results.

How are you feeling about the unit 2 exam?
Ah that's good! Well done :biggrin: I wish mine would give me an idea of my grade! It's so stressful isn't it. I feel not too bad but it's more the unit 4 and 5! At the risk of asking a stupid question, I don't really understand the purpose of the pre release article? Should I be learning it and understanding it will I be asked questions about it in the exam? It hasn't really been explained to me that well by my distance course - can anyone shed some light ?! Sorry
Original post by moonandstars
Ah that's good! Well done :biggrin: I wish mine would give me an idea of my grade! It's so stressful isn't it. I feel not too bad but it's more the unit 4 and 5! At the risk of asking a stupid question, I don't really understand the purpose of the pre release article? Should I be learning it and understanding it will I be asked questions about it in the exam? It hasn't really been explained to me that well by my distance course - can anyone shed some light ?! Sorry

I'm the same - I don't really know what I'm meant to be doing with the pre release article so would be great if someone could help!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending