The Student Room Group

GCSE Maths Edexcel hard? Potential grade boundaries?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by GcseMaths
Rough estimations for Paper 1 are:

79 - A*
63 - A
46 - B
31 - C
19 - D

woo got 69
It can't be 170 for an A*. That's too high. :biggrin: I reckon it'll be 164/200 tantamount to the June 2014 paper, because I found them to be equally as hard/doable - however, it all depends on the calculator paper.
Reply 22
It was hard from the middle onwards.
I struggled, so fingers crossed the grade boundary is low this year.
Reply 23
I've looked at past grade boundaries, and typically grade boundaries for an A grade are around 129-140. As an average, I'd say you ned around 135 for an A this year. :smile:
Hey guys, i reckon that i got around 58-64 how many marks do you reckon i will need for an A. I really want one and if i get one i will be amazed as in school ive only ever got C's but now ive started to take an interest and am hoping for an A. Any advice will be greatly appreciated, thanks.
Original post by Desz_king
Personally I find maths easy and fun as I've been getting 190+ in majority of my mocks I found the exam extremely easy the questions weren't hard you just needed to use the knowledge you already know in order to work out your answer, for instance the final question wasn't hard at all. You just had to work out the area of the two triangles and then subtract the smaller area from the larger area , which I am sure everyone knows how to do. Although the final question contained surds you shouldn't let that put you off just use the usual steps and think logically yet again I will expect the calculator to be more difficult and I am confident that trigonometry, simultaneous equations, solving quadratic equations via quadratic formula, pythagaros, loci and bearing are most likely to come up. However be optimistic and good luck in your calculator exam and your remaining gcse's we shall have big smiles on our faces in August

That exam was definitely harder than last years! Hopefully, the boundaries will go down
Original post by ART2033
I really struggle with maths anxiety and seem to panic in exams. I did the edexcel maths gcse paper 1 today and seem to have got a lot of the answers wrong so I think I mostly likely only got 50-60 marks tops. I am aiming for an A overall.

What would I have to get in the calculator paper to get this and what are your predictions for grade boundaries? Did anyone else find it hard?

you will need about 75-85 marks as the overall A is usually 135 marks
Original post by Connor2803
Hey guys, i reckon that i got around 58-64 how many marks do you reckon i will need for an A. I really want one and if i get one i will be amazed as in school ive only ever got C's but now ive started to take an interest and am hoping for an A. Any advice will be greatly appreciated, thanks.

an A is usually 135-140 so you will need a lot about 75-85
Original post by Adzkii786
woo got 69

my school do much higher grade boundaries than this so im hopeful
Is it for the edexcel maths higher
Original post by ART2033
I really struggle with maths anxiety and seem to panic in exams. I did the edexcel maths gcse paper 1 today and seem to have got a lot of the answers wrong so I think I mostly likely only got 50-60 marks tops. I am aiming for an A overall.

What would I have to get in the calculator paper to get this and what are your predictions for grade boundaries? Did anyone else find it hard?

I'm in the exact same situation as you, I think I got approximately 58 marks and I want an A overall so I think you and I need to get 75-80 marks. Luckily paper 2 exam is after the one week holiday. Make sure you revise well and smash it.

Good luck and hope you do well!
Predictions me and my teachers agree on are 81% for an A* and 67% for an A.
Reply 32
Really appreciate the consideration for those who don't need Maths for anything other than to get onto Level 3 courses...

Anyone got the Foundation potential grade boundaries?
Original post by Desz_king
Personally I find maths easy and fun as I've been getting 190+ in majority of my mocks I found the exam extremely easy the questions weren't hard you just needed to use the knowledge you already know in order to work out your answer, for instance the final question wasn't hard at all. You just had to work out the area of the two triangles and then subtract the smaller area from the larger area , which I am sure everyone knows how to do. Although the final question contained surds you shouldn't let that put you off just use the usual steps and think logically yet again I will expect the calculator to be more difficult and I am confident that trigonometry, simultaneous equations, solving quadratic equations via quadratic formula, pythagaros, loci and bearing are most likely to come up. However be optimistic and good luck in your calculator exam and your remaining gcse's we shall have big smiles on our faces in August

I'm sorry, I don't mean to cause offence or to sound rude AT ALL. But, not everyone is as gifted at maths as you are; the majority of people found it difficult- sure, it wasn't majorily hard but it definitely wasn't easy either- just because you found the questions easy doesn't mean everyone else did :wink: Personally, I thought it was worded awfully.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending