The Student Room Group

GCSE & A-Levels

Hi, everyone :smile: I'm just a random teenage girl doing her GCSE stuff. So far, I've looked at Cambridge University's entry requirements and am really surprised for Medicine, you need at least a C grade at GCSE in double science and maths. I was just wondering... if you did really bad at GCSE but amazing at A-Level (getting A* and A grades) + excellent interview: will you have a chance to get into Oxbridge? P.S. Cambridge's website says that good performance in Years 12 + 13 can make up for 'less stellar performance at GCSE'. Is this saying that strong A-Levels can compensate for poor GCSE grades?
I noticed that too, it's weird isn't it?

Most [successful] applicants will have higher grades than a C in not only Maths and Science but in all their subjects.
As a matter of fact, most sixth forms / colleges require at least a B grade to take Sciences/Maths at A Level.

For Oxbridge you will need a mix of A*s and As and maybe the odd few Bs.

For Medicine in general A*s would be favourable but As and Bs are fine :smile:

Good luck!
Reply 2
Original post by ShiawaseNekox3
Hi, everyone I'm just a random teenage girl doing her GCSE stuff. So far, I've looked at Cambridge University's entry requirements and am really surprised for Medicine, you need at least a C grade at GCSE in double science and maths. I was just wondering... if you did really bad at GCSE but amazing at A-Level (getting A* and A grades) + excellent interview: will you have a chance to get into Oxbridge? P.S. Cambridge's website says that good performance in Years 12 + 13 can make up for 'less stellar performance at GCSE'. Is this saying that strong A-Levels can compensate for poor GCSE grades?

Yes - very much so.

No.

AS and A-level performance (and BMAT, interview, etc) trumps GCSEs.

GCSEs are among the least important elements for Cambridge.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 3
It doesn't happen IRL that ALL things except 1 small factor are equal. GCSEs are never a deal-breaker for Cambridge.

(Assuming they meet the entry requirement.)
(edited 7 years ago)
Good to see my predictions coming true :smile:
Reply 5
GCSEs are just one part of the application I've heard. If you ace your A levels, interview, bmat, and haven't done too badly at GCSE, i.e predominantly B and above grades, usually with a higher proportion being A/A*, but not always, then you will always be a competitor. As you saw on their website, you can make up for poorer GCSEs.
Hi, everyone :smile: I'm just a random teenage girl doing her GCSE stuff. So far, I've looked at Cambridge University's entry requirements and am really surprised for Medicine, you need at least a C grade at GCSE in double science and maths. I was just wondering... if you did really bad at GCSE but amazing at A-Level (getting A* and A grades) + excellent interview: will you have a chance to get into Oxbridge? P.S. Cambridge's website says that good performance in Years 12 + 13 can make up for 'less stellar performance at GCSE'. Is this saying that strong A-Levels can compensate for poor GCSE grades?

Yes, GCSEs are a less important factor than AS Levels, but most Cambridge candidates (particularly medicine) have a wide range of A* and A GCSEs, predominantly A*s (note the sarcasm) because, understandably, with so many qualified applicants Cambridge is bound to choose one with higher grades.

Yes, strong A-Levels can compensate for poor GCSE grades. We don't have any GCSE requirements apart from the ones you've found (there really aren't any secret ones, despite what you may hear on here - we're not allowed to keep things hidden from applicants). GCSEs are looked at in the context of your school, and one of the things they can be useful for is to tell us how you've coped with the jump from GCSEs to A level so lower GCSEs followed by great A levels are really encouraging, whereas 15 A*s followed by mediocre performance in sixth form is very concerning as it suggests you're struggling with more advanced material.

Original post by GlassyMarbles
Yes, GCSEs are a less important factor than AS Levels, but most Cambridge candidates (particularly medicine) have a wide range of A* and A GCSEs, predominantly A*s (note the sarcasm) because, understandably, with so many qualified applicants Cambridge is bound to choose one with higher grades.

GCSEs aren't used as a 'tie breaker' (ties don't happen) and we'd never reject someone on the basis of their GCSEs alone. If you're applying for Medicine, your grade in GCSE Spanish just isn't that interesting. It is certainly true to note that most successful applicants have many A*s, but this is because A*s at GCSE tend to lead to good performance at A level, not because we're selecting on GCSEs.
Original post by Peterhouse Admissions
Yes, strong A-Levels can compensate for poor GCSE grades. We don't have any GCSE requirements apart from the ones you've found (there really aren't any secret ones, despite what you may hear on here - we're not allowed to keep things hidden from applicants). GCSEs are looked at in the context of your school, and one of the things they can be useful for is to tell us how you've coped with the jump from GCSEs to A level so lower GCSEs followed by great A levels are really encouraging, whereas 15 A*s followed by mediocre performance in sixth form is very concerning as it suggests you're struggling with more advanced material.

GCSEs aren't used as a 'tie breaker' (ties don't happen) and we'd never reject someone on the basis of their GCSEs alone. If you're applying for Medicine, your grade in GCSE Spanish just isn't that interesting. It is certainly true to note that most successful applicants have many A*s, but this is because A*s at GCSE tend to lead to good performance at A level, not because we're selecting on GCSEs.

*sorry if this sounds confusing at first*
What about if you haven't covered one of Biology, Physics, and Maths to GCSE, but still meet the A-Level requirements?
For example doing well in chemistry, biology and physics at A level but you haven't done Maths to GCSE level?
Reply 9
Original post by Friendly Forever
*sorry if this sounds confusing at first*
What about if you haven't covered one of Biology, Physics, and Maths to GCSE, but still meet the A-Level requirements?
For example doing well in chemistry, biology and physics at A level but you haven't done Maths to GCSE level?

For medicine at Cambridge you need Maths at GCSE:

http://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/courses/medicine
GCSEs
Students wanting to study Medicine must have achieved:
* grade C or above in GCSE (or equivalent) Double Award Science and Mathematics
* two single awards in GCSE Biology and Physics may be substituted for Double Award Science

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending