The Student Room Group

Edexcel IAL Chemistry Unit 1 (WCH01 )/ May 27 June 2016

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
I really hope the grade boundaries aren't high as heck

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Bliss_
It was good.
What was the answer for the very last question about Shane gas?

Posted from TSR Mobile

i wrote that amount of polymers may increase but to a little extent as percentages are low
It wasn't bad but some mcq's were weird.
Reply 103
Original post by ToxicPhantom007
i wrote that amount of polymers may increase but to a little extent as percentages are low

I AM SURE THIS IS MOST PROBABLY WRONG BUT THIS IS WHAT I DID.
The question asked about the polymers and I remember it said "Poly(ethene) relative to Poly(propene)" So since it said relative I guess we have to compare the two as its obvious it will increase.. The question data was something like this:
Methane-90% Ethane-0.6% Propane-0.4% Butane-0.4%

Since poly(ethene) can be formed only from ethane, propane and butane and not methane because it has only 1 carbon and cannot be cracked into a ethene molecule, the percentage of shale that could be used to make poly(ethene) would be 0.6%+ 0.4%+ 0.4% = 1% . So 1% of shale can be used to make poly(ethene).

Since poly(propene) can only be formed from propane and butane and not ethane and not methane, the percentage of shale that could be used to make poly(propene) will be 0.4% + 0.4% =0.8% .

Hence increased amounts of both polymers can be formed but more poly(ethene) is formed as 1% of shale can be used while 0.8% of shale can be used to make poly(propene)

Idk about this ans tho
What was the helium question?
what was the answer to the question where u had to state an assumption to the enthalpy change for the hess law?
what was the answer to the shell question?
Original post by wenogk
I AM SURE THIS IS MOST PROBABLY WRONG BUT THIS IS WHAT I DID.
The question asked about the polymers and I remember it said "Poly(ethene) relative to Poly(propene)" So since it said relative I guess we have to compare the two as its obvious it will increase.. The question data was something like this:
Methane-90% Ethane-0.6% Propane-0.4% Butane-0.4%

Since poly(ethene) can be formed only from ethane, propane and butane and not methane because it has only 1 carbon and cannot be cracked into a ethene molecule, the percentage of shale that could be used to make poly(ethene) would be 0.6%+ 0.4%+ 0.4% = 1% . So 1% of shale can be used to make poly(ethene).

Since poly(propene) can only be formed from propane and butane and not ethane and not methane, the percentage of shale that could be used to make poly(propene) will be 0.4% + 0.4% =0.8% .

Hence increased amounts of both polymers can be formed but more poly(ethene) is formed as 1% of shale can be used while 0.8% of shale can be used to make poly(propene)

Idk about this ans tho

lol it was of 2 marks and wtf there's no need for such detail
and what did you choose for the mcq where gases were remaining at the end ?
i chose 100 cm3
and what did you choose for the mcq where gases were remaining at the end ?
i chose 100 cm3

it was 75
Reply 108

I wrote it in short form in 4 lines..

Lol yea

Posted from TSR Mobile
What about that deflection question was the line above or below?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by hasi.99

Posted from TSR Mobile

i think it was below because it was deflected more
Original post by tejsanghavi
it was 75

Also found 75
was the answer to the shell question 3p 3s 3s
What did u find for the enthalpy change for the combustion? And the one below where u were given the grams ?
(Sorry for the vague explanation)
Original post by Bliss_
It was good.
What was the answer for the very last question about Shane gas?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ethane and propane are used to make ethene and propene by dehydrogenation reaction. This ethene and propene is used to make poly ethene and poly propene. But since, Ethane and Propane are required for the manufacture of Shane gas, the production of poly ethene and poly propene decreases. :smile:
Original post by Sandy_Vega30
Ethane and propane are used to make ethene and propene by dehydrogenation reaction. This ethene and propene is used to make poly ethene and poly propene. But since, Ethane and Propane are required for the manufacture of Shane gas, the production of poly ethene and poly propene decreases. :smile:

I wrote that to. About dehydration and stuff like that
Original post by hasi.99

Posted from TSR Mobile

Below. Lighter molecules are deflected more. :smile:
Original post by tejsanghavi
What was the helium question?
what was the answer to the question where u had to state an assumption to the enthalpy change for the hess law?
what was the answer to the shell question?

I wrote that Helium has very low atomic mass (its very light) and hence can be deflected more easily by the magnetic field.

Shells : 3p 3s 3s 2p

I don't really recall an assumption for the Hess's law. :redface:
Original post by Sandy_Vega30
I wrote that Helium has very low atomic mass (its very light) and hence can be deflected more easily by the magnetic field.

Shells : 3p 3s 3s 2p

I don't really recall an assumption for the Hess's law. :redface:

I wrote that is light and also very small so can pass through the smallest of gaps.
For shells I included the spins as it asked for orbital.The assumption was for the RAM which was that Carbon has an RAM of 12

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending