The Student Room Group

Accounting Apprenticeship or University

I have never studied accounting, but I am planning to have a career in accounting going onto an chartered accountancy. What would be best for me if I have never studied accounting in college or school; come from a Media education background.
Original post by LukeCharlery
I have never studied accounting, but I am planning to have a career in accounting going onto an chartered accountancy. What would be best for me if I have never studied accounting in college or school; come from a Media education background.

If you can, try to get on one of the Big 4 firms school leaver's programmes (I know KPMG has a good one - starts off on 21K a year with uni fees paid and you get a degree out of it too). Did you do A-levels or another qualification in 6th form?

I never studied accounting in school, I didn't do accounting at uni either but did physics, I'm going to be starting a training contract with a Big 4 in September if I make my degree grades. Having never studied accountancy isn't going to set you back much as long as you can show that it is something you want to do and that you are comfortable with basic arithmetic.

An accounting apprenticeship wouldn't be a bad thing and is slowly becoming a more popular route again. See if you can find one where you do a degree part time as well if you can though.
Reply 2
Original post by natninja
If you can, try to get on one of the Big 4 firms school leaver's programmes (I know KPMG has a good one - starts off on 21K a year with uni fees paid and you get a degree out of it too). Did you do A-levels or another qualification in 6th form?

I never studied accounting in school, I didn't do accounting at uni either but did physics, I'm going to be starting a training contract with a Big 4 in September if I make my degree grades. Having never studied accountancy isn't going to set you back much as long as you can show that it is something you want to do and that you are comfortable with basic arithmetic.

An accounting apprenticeship wouldn't be a bad thing and is slowly becoming a more popular route again. See if you can find one where you do a degree part time as well if you can though.

I ended up doing BTECs as doing three A levels in my first year wasn't for me. So I did a BTEC in Media. Is getting a place in the big 4 the things most accounting students look at reaching to? GoodLuck to you mate!
Original post by LukeCharlery
I ended up doing BTECs as doing three A levels in my first year wasn't for me. So I did a BTEC in Media. Is getting a place in the big 4 the things most accounting students look at reaching to? GoodLuck to you mate!

The way to go is first to try and call any firm that takes school leavers to try to see if they will take you on an apprenticeship/other school leavers programme. If that fails, try and get on any uni course (though accounting would probably be most helpful). If you do this, you will find that some grad programmes require A-levels. Call the HR department and ask because it may just be an assuption that most graduates have A-levels so an equivalent may well be fine, a lot will just ask for a minimum UCAS points though.

I don't know, a lot of accounting students want to go 'into industry' as management accountants and some even aspire to working for 'the other side' (HMRC) as well as investment banks and their ilk.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending