The Student Room Group

differentiation by first principle fp1

Completely forgot where and how to start this. if someone could help me out with a method and explanations i would really appreciate it :smile:
Reply 1
Original post by Mitul106
Completely forgot where and how to start this. if someone could help me out with a method and explanations i would really appreciate it :smile:

What happens when you sub in x=5+hx=-5 + h into your equation? What y coordinate does that get you? You now have two points, can you find the gradient in terms of h? hint: change in y over change in x.
Reply 2

It's probably best if you read this in a book / watch a video.

I recommend this video.
Reply 3

Sketch Sketch

and remember dydx=limh0f(x+h)f(x)x+hx \frac{dy}{dx} = \displaystyle\lim_{h\to 0} \frac{f(x+h)-f(x)}{x+h-x}

also remember the gradient or the change in y over the change in x = f(x+h)f(x)x+hx \frac{f(x+h)-f(x)}{x+h-x}
Reply 4
When you're doing these questions, the question will pretty much always ask you to give the gradient of the chord in terms of h, then they will ask you for the gradient as h0 h\rightarrow 0 which of course is the gradient of the curve at that point.

Quick Reply

Latest