The Student Room Group

AQA AS Chemistry unit 1 resit May 27th 2016

Hey
Anyone else doing this? tips on getting full marks? And does anyone have a good method for balancing equations because I can never get round to doing it and just leave it haha

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
bro i wish i knew how to get full marks, i've been doing past papers to the point where i know the mark schemes but considering the way last years exam was and that this year only A2 students are doing the exam, grade boundaries gonna be high and questions are gonna end up having A2 style to them.
I agree. I have got a feeling they are going to give us a tough paper!! So I doubt it's likely to get 100% because there's bound to be a few questions in there to trip you up.
I doubt they will do that. AQA can be mean but they won't be that mean. It'll be like any AS paper
Reply 4
Hi.. i got a C last year for chem unit 1 but say if something happens tomorrow and i do worse does the C still count - does highest mark go forward. Because that maths C1 exam was horrible. (edecxcel)
Reply 5
Original post by zoedhin
Hi.. i got a C last year for chem unit 1 but say if something happens tomorrow and i do worse does the C still count - does highest mark go forward. Because that maths C1 exam was horrible. (edecxcel)

Your highest mark/grade is the one they use
Original post by man i
bro i wish i knew how to get full marks, i've been doing past papers to the point where i know the mark schemes but considering the way last years exam was and that this year only A2 students are doing the exam, grade boundaries gonna be high and questions are gonna end up having A2 style to them.

I was told that they don't make exams consecutively and that they're all pre made at the start before the spec is released so there's no bias in one year being harder than another. The papers are just appointed a year and AQA didn't know the spec was going to end 2016 so it's not like they saved the hardest paper for last because they didn't know this was going to be the last year.
Reply 7
Original post by xambercx
Your highest mark/grade is the one they use

That makes me feel so much better - its just that i heard exams have been hard this year .. but will highest grade still count even though last years grade was cashed in and so is this years grade for unit 1 which is tomorrow
Reply 8
Original post by potato cell
I was told that they don't make exams consecutively and that they're all pre made at the start before the spec is released so there's no bias in one year being harder than another. The papers are just appointed a year and AQA didn't know the spec was going to end 2016 so it's not like they saved the hardest paper for last because they didn't know this was going to be the last year.

good point but considering that last years paper was pretty solid i'm dreading this years paper, i feel like im gonna over think some questions where they are very likely to relate it to A2 questions, and under think others. add that to the fact im going to do unit 2 also adds to that tension.
Hey guys I am sort of confused about the products for incomplete combustion of alkanes. Is is it just carbon monoxide and water or, carbon dioxide, carbon monoxide and water? Also what is the combustion equation for when carbon (soot) is produced?

Many thanks! :smile:
Reply 10
Original post by DeadEnd_96
Hey guys I am sort of confused about the products for incomplete combustion of alkanes. Is is it just carbon monoxide and water or, carbon dioxide, carbon monoxide and water? Also what is the combustion equation for when carbon (soot) is produced?

Many thanks! :smile:

normally it CO and H20 so carbon monoxide, for carbon soot its just C and H20. Normally they will give what products were produced or indicate what the products effects are or they physical states so it will based on those questions.
Reply 11
Do you think that anyone will have a grade lower than a B on this? Considering we are all A2 students, will the boundaries be super high?
Original post by man i
good point but considering that last years paper was pretty solid i'm dreading this years paper, i feel like im gonna over think some questions where they are very likely to relate it to A2 questions, and under think others. add that to the fact im going to do unit 2 also adds to that tension.

they cant relate it to a2 stuff even if its only a2 students doing it.
Original post by 97Y
Do you think that anyone will have a grade lower than a B on this? Considering we are all A2 students, will the boundaries be super high?

i think maybe slightly higher than average we all may be a2 students, but there wont be the top grade achievers so it will balance out.
Reply 14
Original post by Ultracrepidarian
they cant relate it to a2 stuff even if its only a2 students doing it.

good point but then can do unit 2 stuff ive done quite a few questions associated with unit 2 endothermic, decomposition reactions etc.
Reply 15
Original post by man i
good point but then can do unit 2 stuff ive done quite a few questions associated with unit 2 endothermic, decomposition reactions etc.

I think that the idea is that only unit 1 stuff can come up in unit one, then in unit 2 both units and in 5 all 6 units etc. So there won't be any random energetics questions
Original post by 97Y
I think that the idea is that only unit 1 stuff can come up in unit one, then in unit 2 both units and in 5 all 6 units etc. So there won't be any random energetics questions

yes this
How did you guys fail last year? The foundation Chemistry paper (AQA paper 1) was the easiest paper from 2011-2015.

Did you let the stress get to you or what?
Reply 18
Original post by alevez2ez
How did you guys fail last year? The foundation Chemistry paper (AQA paper 1) was the easiest paper from 2011-2015.

My mother is a pyscho, and funnily enough she's having one of her fits again. Not about the paper, it was about the situation. Determined to not let her get to me this year 🙈
Reply 19
Original post by alevez2ez

And also, the paper last year was no where near as easy as some of the other past papers. Some trick questions.

Quick Reply

Latest