The Student Room Group

OCR AS Philosophy & Ethics: Official Thread for May/June 2016

Scroll to see replies

Will situation ethics be on the test and how do you know if it's a application question?
Original post by TomA90
If a part A came up saying explain a religious perspectives ethical principles or something along those lines; would it be sensible to outline natural law, divine command theory and situation ethics or just one of the three?

Yes, say all of these. But mention that natural law was the foundation for the Catholic church, divine command theory is God's word so is holy, and situation ethics says we should follow Jesus on our application of love. Just relate it back to Christianity.
Original post by Hayjayk89
Will situation ethics be on the test and how do you know if it's a application question?

The question won't directly ask you about situation ethics but it it asks you for the religion you have studied, moral relativism etc then mention it
How did everyone find the exam?
Reply 544
Original post by TySnaps97
How did everyone find the exam?

Thought it went pretty well tbh after the disaster that was biology yesterday. Reckon today I got an A but I don't know if my phil paper'll be enough to get that A overall hoping tho 🙄
What did everyone put for 4B on purpose of natural law??
Original post by Oliviawicks23

Ikr thought was dodgey as well
Think I've done decent

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by budgetdeficit99
I missed a 10 marker, have I ruined my chances of getting an A for this paper?

Yeah
Original post by J0eJ0e994

It was so bad!! I legit made up all of it!! I just hope to get at least 6/10 as i put to contrasting views
Original post by J0eJ0e994

That it wasn't purpose but it was how we choose to live our lives
That paper was sent from heaven just like the philosophy paper.....now I have reached my telos of eudaimonia :smile:
Soooo I have a question, Is Gordon Grahams consistent Nazi only applicable to Kant or can it be applied to real and apparent goods in Natural Law???
Original post by Oliviawicks23

I made up some nonsense saying that on one hand purpose is the main aspect because otherwise there'd be no reason to follow the precepts as we wouldn't be working towards Eudaimonia/beatific vision etc...

and on the other hand, evidence of design is more of an important aspect than purpose because Aquinas deduced that everything had a purpose because he saw the evidence that the world had been designed.

Basically nonsense for both of them, was an awful question tbh.
Original post by Vexated
I made up some nonsense saying that on one hand purpose is the main aspect because otherwise there'd be no reason to follow the precepts as we wouldn't be working towards Eudaimonia/beatific vision etc...

and on the other hand, evidence of design is more of an important aspect than purpose because Aquinas deduced that everything had a purpose because he saw the evidence that the world had been designed.

Basically nonsense for both of them, was an awful question tbh.

I said about how natural law is deonotological therefore it is our duty to fulfil our purpose so it is the most important aspect.
Then on the other hand, roman catholics may take a more teleological approach to natural law and that eudaimonia is a more important aspect of natural law as thats why they live how they do to have an afterlife.
Idk i made it all up and rushed so was awful
I did the singer and natural law questions, for the natural law questions I just showed how it had aspects of absolutism and relativism and deontology for the part A and then for the part B i talked about how without the synderesis principle there cannot be apparent goods so we consciously sin and then talked about how without without the aspect purpose we cannot have the primary precepts and this the secondary precepts.

For the singer question I talked about lower order and higher order beings and the replacement argument and then applied it to abortion and euthanasia, for part B i talked about how rule was easier to apply but was less accessible and that both didn't pay regard to special consequences, didn't really know what to write to be honest.

I hope what I wrote answered the questions, I don't even know if it was all that relevant but I hope its enough for an A, what did you guys write for theses questions ?
Reply 556
For 4b) I explained why purpose was important and then I compared it with reason, saying reason was important because not everyone believes in the purpose- union with
Reply 557
And for 1b I explained not all religious believers totally accept sanctity of life, e.g I explained doctrine of double effect in detail and then situation ethics which says you need to look at the situation, and some would go against sanctity of life
Original post by nihil_nimis
I did the singer and natural law questions, for the natural law questions I just showed how it had aspects of absolutism and relativism and deontology for the part A and then for the part B i talked about how without the synderesis principle there cannot be apparent goods so we consciously sin and then talked about how without without the aspect purpose we cannot have the primary precepts and this the secondary precepts.

For the singer question I talked about lower order and higher order beings and the replacement argument and then applied it to abortion and euthanasia, for part B i talked about how rule was easier to apply but was less accessible and that both didn't pay regard to special consequences, didn't really know what to write to be honest.

I hope what I wrote answered the questions, I don't even know if it was all that relevant but I hope its enough for an A, what did you guys write for theses questions ?

In part A for the Singer I mentioned the manifest/true preferences, the trade offs you have to do when making an ethical decision etc.
In part A for NL I talked about how it was deontological, absolutist, objective, Summa Theologica. Influenced by St Paul (The Bible), Aristotle and his final cause into the primary/secondary precepts, real/apparent goods, interior/exterior acts, doctrine of double effect, the ultimate goal being eudaimonia/beatific vision and a conclusion. Scroll up for my part B which was terrible.
i didn't even start by second part b coz it got interrupted by a fooking bomb scare :frown:(( god knows how **** my results will be

Quick Reply