The Student Room Group

OCR AS Philosophy & Ethics: Official Thread for May/June 2016

Scroll to see replies

I did 1 on Christian Ethics and 4 on Natural Law... but seriously the part B questions- WHY OCR WHY
Dreading results day though seriously dreading it
Just hope I get at least 5 or 6 out of 10 and at least 20 on the 25 markers
Original post by jmartinzahid
i didn't even start by second part b coz it got interrupted by a fooking bomb scare :frown:(( god knows how **** my results will be

Did you not get to finish it?

But I swear everyone did not that well this year so hopefully the grade boundaries won't be too high...
Original post by budgetdeficit99
I missed a 10 marker, have I ruined my chances of getting an A for this paper?

Oh no how did you miss a whole part B
If you got full marks on the 25 markers and the other 10 marker you might get an A or a high B!
Don't get too down on it I think this year wasn't the best of questions
Original post by hapoomyi
Did you not get to finish it?

But I swear everyone did not that well this year so hopefully the grade boundaries won't be too high...

nope i had conclusions to finish on the part a's and didn't start my second part b, apparently we get special consideration
nope i had conclusions to finish on the part a's and didn't start my second part b, apparently we get special consideration

Elaborate on that bomb scare please aha

Oh never heard of that what's special consideration?

I didn't conclude my part As and only had conclusions for part Bs because I didn't have enough time but meh just hope I get an A or B
Where was Utilitarianism? For an A question. I expected Mill and Bentham' Utilitarianism to come up not Singer'
Original post by Vexated
Elaborate on that bomb scare please aha

haha so basically the fire alarm went off and we thought cool, we would get the time we lose from that back and can finish off the paper but no, the head teacher announced the school got a call that it was a bomb scare and that we had to abandon the exam
Original post by hapoomyi
Oh never heard of that what's special consideration?

I didn't conclude my part As and only had conclusions for part Bs because I didn't have enough time but meh just hope I get an A or B

im not sure tbh i think they look at the rest of the essays and mocks and stuff, but it's so annoying because i left my best essay till last and i didn't even manage to start it :frown:(((
Original post by Vexated
I made up some nonsense saying that on one hand purpose is the main aspect because otherwise there'd be no reason to follow the precepts as we wouldn't be working towards Eudaimonia/beatific vision etc...

and on the other hand, evidence of design is more of an important aspect than purpose because Aquinas deduced that everything had a purpose because he saw the evidence that the world had been designed.

Basically nonsense for both of them, was an awful question tbh.

I basically wrote the exact same thing as you. Same answer for the top one. But then I said on the other hand primary precepts may be more of an important aspect than purpose because without them then we wouldn't be able to derive secondary precepts etc from them.
how many pages are you given in the exam booklet ?
What questions did you guys do?
Well I failed that
Original post by Broke24/7
What questions did you guys do?

1&4 most people in my class did either 1&2 or 3&4
Original post by Oliviawicks23
What did everyone put for 4B on purpose of natural law??

I explained that because natural law is deontological it is our duty to do our purpose or there would be no reason for us to want to do good and to avoid evil.
And then my counter argument talked about how the most important part was Intention. Then I talked about the doctrine of double effect and how the intention of one of the precepts can give a side effect of loosing another precept. Giving the example of a poor father who may want to send his children to school but may not have the money to do so. His intention to send his child to school allows him to fulfill the precept of education although he does not have the actual resources to do so.
anyone know how many pages were given in the exam booklet to write on ?
Reply 576
Original post by nihil_nimis
anyone know how many pages were given in the exam booklet to write on ?

Yeah 13 I believe if you had the normal one 6 or so for the short one
Original post by AdimG
Yeah 13 I believe if you had the normal one 6 or so for the short one

There are different sizes ? I finished the booklet in ethics but had so much left in the philosophy exam so was a bit confused, I probably had the 6 page one then for ethics then. Thanks
[video="youtube;6fNeTO1w8Ws"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6fNeTO1w8Ws[/video]
Hitler reacts to Ethics.
You're welcome :smile:
Reply 579
Question 1 part A about the "religious" aspects to the objection of abortion
-Just Christian ethics and Natural law
Christian ethics - mainly about how they believe in the sanctity of life and that all life is sacred
Natural law - goes against the precepts to life etc)..
You should've also put a however point in there
However, Christians may accept it if the mothers life is at risk "lesser of two evils" etc)
You didn't have to mention situation or divine command theory.. You won't lose marks if you don't talk about it - you could have left it as a whole for Christian ethics in terms of what the bible says..
And the comment on natural law aspects as that's also a Christian theory
However speaking about DCT and situation will get you marks still

Also you should've spoken about the reasons for abortion in about 1 paragraph - this paragraph is where name dropping scholars should be done
Eg) people abort for different reasons eg) mothers life at risk or for embryo research or stem cell research
Therefore aborting for embryo research would go against to live in an ordered society and as KANT would say "means to an end" etc) - name dropping scholars will impress the examiner

Part B - Lol what I think I got 4/10

Question 4 - best question
Literally the following
Absolute deontological
Primary and secondary precepts (both in 1 paragraph - secondary isn't a key factor so should be about 2 lines just saying what it is and give an example)
Interior and exterior acts
Synderesis rule
Divine eternal human natural law
Real and apparent goods

You didn't have to mention proportionalism and double effect as it asks for the main features - so you won't lose marks
But if you mentioned that it's all good obviously

The part B question to this - lol I think I got 3/10 let's not go there

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending