The Student Room Group

Guardian University League Tables 2017

Scroll to see replies

Original post by KingYusHalo
fu***** bullsh**. rankings ****

:rofl:

From someone who thinks that the QS methodology is robust.

You know ANYONE can register to give their opinions for the QS survey? QS ask universities to share the link for self registration amongst their staff - who then ask their buddies at other universities to join up too. The QS rewards universities that are good at networking for their mutual benefit.

I'm on their respondents list. :biggrin:

The NSS is the toughest measure in any league table to fiddle. The guardian is the toughest league table to do well in because the overall ranking is the sum of the subject rankings. Universities with a few shoddy departments do worse because unlike in the other rankings they can't get away with using their strong performance elsewhere to dazzle the judges.
I read the word guardian then realized that these must be inaccurate af
Original post by PQ
:rofl:

From someone who thinks that the QS methodology is robust.

You know ANYONE can register to give their opinions for the QS survey? QS ask universities to share the link for self registration amongst their staff - who then ask their buddies at other universities to join up too. The QS rewards universities that are good at networking for their mutual benefit.

I'm on their respondents list. :biggrin:

The NSS is the toughest measure in any league table to fiddle. The guardian is the toughest league table to do well in because the overall ranking is the sum of the subject rankings. Universities with a few shoddy departments do worse because unlike in the other rankings they can't get away with using their strong performance elsewhere to dazzle the judges.

I too have always felt QS was a bit cheeky on the side. Their website has some random bullsh*t, kinda like a business. However, ARWU is no joke. These guys are serious in their metrics(though it may not be in interest of high-schoolers). ARWU's website is plain, simple and serious. Their rankings are also well pronounced too, almost nothing looks out of place.
THE is somewhat like ARWU, but has a bit of that cheeky business side.
I too have always felt QS was a bit cheeky on the side. Their website has some random bullsh*t, kinda like a business. However, ARWU is no joke. These guys are serious in their metrics(though it may not be in interest of high-schoolers). ARWU's website is plain, simple and serious. Their rankings are also well pronounced too, almost nothing looks out of place.
THE is somewhat like ARWU, but has a bit of that cheeky business side.

You make your judgement on the reliability of a ranking based on the website appearance?

:facepalm:

Have you come across the duck density rankings? They're not commercial at all.
Reply 104
Oh man, take a chill. Just kiddin'.

Of course you were.

I can hear the sound of backpedalling from here.
(edited 7 years ago)
Cambridge top for Biosciences but...

How is Manchester better than Imperial, and why is Sheffield down so low???
Original post by stevey396
It's absolutely ridiculous. I've never even heard of Falmouth and they're trying to tell us it's better than 12, I repeat TWELVE, Russel Group unis? What a joke.

It's a small town in Cornwall, the uni isn't great at all and most definitely isn't better than KCL or anything, especially not 22 places better!!! I honestly don't always understand league tables - they don't take into account more important things for students such as affordability etc.
Reply 107
Original post by george_c00per
It's a small town in Cornwall, the uni isn't great at all and most definitely isn't better than KCL or anything, especially not 22 places better!!! I honestly don't always understand league tables - they don't take into account more important things for students such as affordability etc.

I guarantee Falmouth is more affordable than London. :wink:
Original post by jneill
I guarantee Falmouth is more affordable than London. :wink:

That's very true :colone:
I know these results are sketchy to say the least, but has anyone considered that some places may have climbed up the rankings because they've improved?
Original post by JamesN88
I know these results are sketchy to say the least, but has anyone considered that some places may have climbed up the rankings because they've improved?

It seems wholly improbable to suggest that a plucky East Midlands outfit could genuinely upset an established natural order. When has that ever happened before, I mean in some kind of credible league system?
Original post by cambio wechsel
It seems wholly improbable to suggest that a plucky East Midlands outfit could genuinely upset an established natural order. When has that ever happened before, I mean in some kind of credible league system?

Haha, when I wonder?
Original post by Serine Soul
Cambridge top for Biosciences but...

How is Manchester better than Imperial, and why is Sheffield down so low???

Not sure why your so surprised Manchester did well its known for its good STEM departments. "Sheffield is low"...who cares its never ranked highly in my books for biosciences.
Original post by peachpetals
Not sure why your so surprised Manchester did well its known for its good STEM departments. "Sheffield is low"...who cares its never ranked highly in my books for biosciences.

Lol it's ranked much higher in other league table. I doubt many care about your books
Original post by Serine Soul
Lol it's ranked much higher in other league table. I doubt many care about your books

"Its ranked higher in other league tables." All league tables are full of inconsistencies if you are seriously believing in any of them your crazy.
Whatever you say fam. Have fun choosing Loughborough and enjoying your ass of for the next 3 years while I go to UCL. But please keep in mind, I'm getting the job

The worst kind of person is the one who wrongly thinks they're elite. UCL isn't THAT great. Unless you're doing medicine, realise that it's just the same as any other top 10 University. Loughborough probably is somewhat below, but not to the extent that you can act like you go to Cambridge in comparison.

I got an offer from UCL to do Physics, and ended up picking Warwick as my firm.

Edit: "So, I'm going to be applying to Oxford this fall for engineering. I've had a look at the PAT papers and have noticed the questions are somewhat beyond what the A-level course offers."

dude, are you serious? Do you not even actually have an offer from UCL or something?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by peachpetals
"Its ranked higher in other league tables." All league tables are full of inconsistencies if you are seriously believing in any of them your crazy.

Surely if it's high in a number of other tables, there must be something true to the ranking?
Original post by MintyMilk
The worst kind of person is the one who wrongly thinks they're elite. UCL isn't THAT great. Unless you're doing medicine, realise that it's just the same as any other top 10 University. Loughborough probably is somewhat below, but not to the extent that you can act like you go to Cambridge in comparison.

I got an offer from UCL to do Physics, and ended up picking Warwick as my firm.

Edit: "So, I'm going to be applying to Oxford this fall for engineering. I've had a look at the PAT papers and have noticed the questions are somewhat beyond what the A-level course offers."

dude, are you serious? Do you not even actually have an offer from UCL or something?

Fam, that just an illustration of why the rankings are bullsh*t. Nothing serious. And no, I do not have an offer from UCL, nor any other university.
Original post by MintyMilk
UCL isn't THAT great. Unless you're doing medicine, realise that it's just the same as any other top 10 University.

I'm not sure what's implied by the reference to Medicine, which is the same wherever you are.

If you're at UCL doing Architecture, Pharmacy, Fine Art, Science & Technology Studies, Education or Eastern European Studies, then you're on the best undergraduate course for your subject in the UK and perhaps in the world.
Original post by cambio wechsel
Science & Technology Studies, Education or Eastern European Studies

Those are real degrees?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending