The Student Room Group

Insurance without Blackbox?

I am 17 just passed my test and am looking for car insurance. Only problem is all quotes I am getting are with blackbox. Are there any new drivers who have managed to get insurance without blackbox?
thanks
Think my boyfriends was £1700 without a black box =) so yes there are companies out there that will
Reply 2
What's your objection to telemetry? I personally plan to insure my car with 360 degree cameras + telemetry because it'll drop my premium significantly
Original post by Jackieox
Think my boyfriends was £1700 without a black box =) so yes there are companies out there that will

Who in their right mind would spend £1700 on motor insurance! Unless your transporting nuclear waste for a job you would expect a sensible price.
Original post by Laomedeia
Who in their right mind would spend £1700 on motor insurance! Unless your transporting nuclear waste for a job you would expect a sensible price.

Okay so whats your price for a 17 year old with No No claims who has just passed his test?
Okay so whats your price for a 17 year old with No No claims who has just passed his test?

I cant get a quote for a 17 year old because Im 26. Nor do I drive a car but I do ride a gixxer 1000. My current insurance is £270 which seems fine for a vehicle capable of 150+mph. I do have over 5 years NCD. However my first bike wasnt a powerful one, and I would imagine that a new driver would go for something like a Fiat 500 or Vauxhall Corsa which I seriously doubt would cost 4 digits for a year's insurance.
Reply 6
I cant get a quote for a 17 year old because Im 26. Nor do I drive a car but I do ride a gixxer 1000. My current insurance is £270 which seems fine for a vehicle capable of 150+mph. I do have over 5 years NCD. However my first bike wasnt a powerful one, and I would imagine that a new driver would go for something like a Fiat 500 or Vauxhall Corsa which I seriously doubt would cost 4 digits for a year's insurance.

Right, firstly, car insurance is more than bike, end of.

Secondly, you can run a quote as a 17 year old!

Thirdly, I've just run a quote on a 2001 Nissan Micra, valued at £340, as a 17 year old, here's what I got (telematics, no telematics) http://i.imgur.com/ZsSu26N.png

mine was for a former santander fleet fiat 500
with black box
was £6,500
the car cost me £2400

It does seem to me you are out of touch from the world of young drivers insuranc R, which in sure has drastically changed from since 10 years ago. £2000 is the norm price these days, and if you're lucky you might not need a black box but good luck.

It's extremely expensive to drive especially if you're in the city if you're under 21 with no NCB.
Reply 9
Hi jackie which insurance company is he with? thanks

Quick Reply

Latest