The Student Room Group

Applying as a transgender student

Does anyone know if trans students have to state the gender on their birth certificate, or if they are free to enter whichever gender they identify as? I know that UCAS allow you to choose, but I wasn't sure if student finance follow the same system or not. Will it cause problems with the application if the gender on the student finance is different to that on UCAS?
State what you were born as lol
Reply 2
I'd suggest contacting the relevant student loans department, and explain your situation, they'll probably ask you to use your legal gender, but may allow you to use your preferred gender in certain circumstances.

Original post by Ladbants
State what you were born as lol

How about no?

Gender identity is no laughing matter, and for a transgender student, it is of significant importance that they are able to express their true gender.

Don't be a [generic insult]
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 3
Just state the gender on your passport or whichever one you are legally registered as.
Reply 4
Original post by __0__
I'd suggest contacting the relevant student loans department, and explain your situation, they'll probably ask you to use your legal gender, but may allow you to use your preferred gender in certain circumstances.

How about no?

Gender identity is no laughing matter, and for a transgender student, it is of significant importance that they are able to express their true gender.

Don't be a dick

:laugh:
Original post by __0__

How about no?

Don't be a dick

Can you not use that type of offensive language please?
Original post by __0__

How about no?

Don't be a dick

How does it even matter? It's just student finance, its not like he/she/it is telling her/his/its friends what gender he/she/it is...
Reply 7
Just put your preferred gender. If they query it then explain it I guess. I know someone that did that and it was fine, but they had changed their passport to reflect their gender identity.

Good Luck regardless.
Reply 8
Original post by Ladbants
Can you not use that type of offensive language please?

There, edited it, just for you :h:
Original post by __0__
There, edited it, just for you :h:

Thank you.
Reply 10
Original post by The_JoKeR
How does it even matter? It's just student finance, its not like he/she/it is telling her/his/its friends what gender he/she/it is...

"It"??

People are such a**holes sometimes...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11

Because it makes a hell of a difference to your confidence, and can be incredibly distressing to have to opress yourself. I personally hate filling in forms as anything other than my actual sexuality.
Reply 12
Original post by *Stefan*
"It"??

Posted from TSR Mobile

Some people do actually identify as they/them/it, I know someone who does!
Reply 13
Original post by __0__
Some people do actually identify as they/them/it, I know someone who does!

Clearly not the OP.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by coppercandies
Does anyone know if trans students have to state the gender on their birth certificate, or if they are free to enter whichever gender they identify as? I know that UCAS allow you to choose, but I wasn't sure if student finance follow the same system or not. Will it cause problems with the application if the gender on the student finance is different to that on UCAS?

I'm pretty sure UCAS will let you use your gender and not the gender you were assigned at birth. Also, if you're non-binary, UCAS let you use Mx as a title.

Hope this helps :smile:
Original post by coppercandies

You will have to put your official gender on the form for Student Finance because its a legally binding contract for a loan. It wont be a problem that your UCAS form says otherwise, but if they have problems they will just ask you or your uni, I wouldnt worry about it.
(edited 7 years ago)
"It"??

Posted from TSR Mobile

Not everyone refers to themselves as a gender m8, if you're gonna allow transgenders then allow people who don't identify as any.
Reply 17
Not everyone refers to themselves as a gender m8, if you're gonna allow transgenders then allow people who don't identify as any.

Only "they" can be used in this scenario, even where a singular form is required. "It" is rather inflammatory.
Only "they" can be used in this scenario, even where a singular form is required. "It" is rather inflammatory.

I'd rather not use "they" because it does makes her/him/it sound plural
it may be a bit late for me to say this now but it may help others in the future. i'm transgender and although my birth certificate still says male I was able to use female on my documents by using a deed poll which can be created for free online.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending