The Student Room Group

Edexcel Official Chemistry Paper1:Core Inorganic and Physical Chemistry - 27th of May

Scroll to see replies

What did people write for a) the question about ClF3 and b) the question about the bond lengths?
Original post by SolomonP
What did people write for a) the question about ClF3 and b) the question about the bond lengths?

Bond lengths were to do with electronegativity differences
I think bond lengths were due to number of bonds and number of electrons actually referring to page in chemrevise notes which explained exactly that
Cool, said similar
Tbh everyone is just so worn out and ready for a break that no one's even discussing as much as a usual post-exam thread does...completely understandable been quite a week
Original post by Thash12
Bond lengths were to do with electronegativity differences

This was to do with the electronegativity and also the electron shielding by sulfur having and extra shell than oxygen which meant the distance from the protons was further making the radius larger, this in turn make the bonds lengths longer as the nucleus of each atom were further from each other so the attraction was less.

Can anyone mention if this was right?
Original post by Tommy543
This was to do with the electronegativity and also the electron shielding by sulfur having and extra shell than oxygen which meant the distance from the protons was further making the radius larger, this in turn make the bonds lengths longer as the nucleus of each atom were further from each other so the attraction was less.

Can anyone mention if this was right?

That's correct
Paper 2 will likely be of similar difficulty I bet. Maybe even slightly harder
That's correct

WOO! I got at least a mark!!! Haha, Did anyone know how to do the concentration one? I know concentration = Moles/ Volume but i couldn't find anywhere in the question to find the moles. I was stuck on this for ages so just put not it couldn't be used to age the wood.
Yea I got to the stage of knowing the moles in the 250cm^3 but then from there on I had to move on to other questions I'd left at the end
Also hoping for low grade boundaries. I turned up 1 hour late to my exam because I thought it was in the afternoon! So pleased they even let me sit it. Added a lot of anxiety during paper which definitely wasn't needed! 😱

For the ClF3 question,
I stated the definition of electronegativity and said that ClF is a polar molecule because it isn't symmetrical (has a seesaw shape) so the bond polarities cancel out. The bond vectors are there due to Flurine being more eectronegative than Cl, so Cl would be electron deficient.
Original post by middleagedpotato
I have a friend who got 158 gdm-3 but I got 10. Abit worried tbh.

i got around 10 too
Reply 133
Original post by middleagedpotato
I wrote
-Use emery or sand paper to remove MgO from contaminated/impure Mg
-Volume locked measuring cylinder (clamped as said in the question) so the pressure will increase if H2 forms, H2 volume will be compressed. As a result a wokable alternative would be to use a gas syringe which has an alterable volume capacity.
-250cm3 volume with 30-40 cm3 of gas so there is a high % uncertainity. Thus, to reduce the % error. Use a gas syringe(gas syringes have lower volume) to reduce % error.

For the 6 marks question:
I know that Be doesn't really react with water and the reaction vigour with water increases down the group for group2. So I said that the lower the Total IE, the faster the rate.

Wasnt it Be or Ba?
Original post by Shk
Wasnt it Be or Ba?

It was Ba and Sr but I'm making a separate point about Be
Be (beryllium) has a coat of BeO and only sparingly reacts wIth H2O
Original post by Jkoo22
i got around 10 too

Apparently the answer is 100.5 g dm-3 :frown: i didn't get it though. Found out after
Anyone else get 100.548 g dm^-3? I got it and several other people who I know are very good at chemistry did.

I dont want to brag but I'm pretty solid at titrations. So 100.548 anyone?
Original post by Florent venhari
Apparently the answer is 100.5 g dm-3 :frown: i didn't get it though. Found out after

Yes i got that! Who said it was that?
Original post by richpanda
Yes i got that! Who said it was that?

How did you find the moles for the equation?
Original post by richpanda
Anyone else get 100.548 g dm^-3? I got it and several other people who I know are very good at chemistry did.

I dont want to brag but I'm pretty solid at titrations. So 100.548 anyone?

Yes thank you, that's what I got!!! Was completely sure of my answer until I left the exam and didn't hear anyone who'd got the same :wink: suppose that's a case against exam postmortems

(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest