The Student Room Group

Maths A-Level, Pros and Cons?

Scroll to see replies

If you're a hard worker then it'll be easy for you.
It is a huge leap from GCSE maths to A level maths though.
Reply 41
Buy text books from your exam board not CGP- for maths at least
Pro: if you enjoy maths it is quite good. I wouldn't say it's massively difficult (at AS, don't know about A2 yet) but i take FMaths and i did FMaths GCSE.

Con: whatever the exam is like there are always a ridiculous amount of Edexcel students complaining about it, so you have to deal with people like that.
Original post by _Xenon_
please can someone show me an example of A level maths work. I want to see for myself rather than hearing stories. Thanks!!

Original post by Wimsett
I agree, I'm really curious to know how everything really is.

In A-level Maths you take 6 modules, which will vary considerably in difficulty and content

Here is a C1 question:Here is a M1 question:Here is a C4 question:

You'll probably take a statistics module as well. Basically, if you think you're decent at Maths - i.e. will get an A* in the GCSE without much trouble - and you enjoy it, then go for it.
(edited 7 years ago)
I think if you're decent at maths it would be good to take it at least to AS because it is very useful for a lot of subjects, especially anything science related. The step up from GCSE to A level is big, but the thing with maths is that you just need to practice and there are loads of resources out there. I think it's actually easier when you come to revise for exams because if you have worked through the year and made sure you understood topics as you learnt them, you won't need to memorise much at all.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by _Xenon_
please can someone show me an example of A level maths work. I want to see for myself rather than hearing stories. Thanks!!

When I was about to start maths in year 12 I looked at past papers and saw how they give you 4 whole A4 pages to answer a question, which made me think it must be really hard! But it's not as bad as it looks so don't be put off.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Wimsett
Yeah I've heard that they're difficult because you have to apply so many different concepts and explain what you do, is this the case for you?

More or less, obviously proof of answers are needed and that but it can sometimes seem like the real exam questions are written differently than what you learn or do in past papers. I also noticed I made a huge amount of stupid mistakes in the real exam that I've never done in past papers so just get things engraved into your mind when it comes to learning any content and consistent practice is key.
Original post by 1lilypad1
When I was about to start maths in year 12 I looked at past papers and saw how they give you 4 whole A4 pages to answer a question, which made me think it must be really hard! But it's not as bad as it looks so don't be put off.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks I was actually thinking that. I was like wtf do they want me to write an essay, lol.
Original post by StrangeBanana
In A-level Maths you take 6 modules, which will vary considerably in difficulty and content

Here is a C1 question:Here is a M1 question:Here is a C4 question:

You'll probably take a statistics module as well. Basically, if you think you're decent at Maths - i.e. will get an A* in the GCSE without much trouble - and you enjoy it, then go for it.

Thanks and that looks solid! They want you to write loads of pages for working out right.
If I watch all of exams solutions during summer is that good enough?
Original post by _Xenon_
Thanks and that looks solid! They want you to write loads of pages for working out right.

Well no :tongue: If you know what you're doing, the above questions don't require a huge amount of working out, and I think the examiners would prefer not having to read through pages and pages of stuff
Original post by StrangeBanana
Well no :tongue: If you know what you're doing, the above questions don't require a huge amount of working out, and I think the examiners would prefer not having to read through pages and pages of stuff

Hehe thanks for letting me know,
is exams solutions a good headstart
Original post by _Xenon_
Where should i buy it from? I want to do some over the summer you see as i'm quite smart but just a bit slow.

Thanks.

Ask your teachers at the school you are going to take your A levels and ask which board/textbook they use
Original post by _Xenon_
Hehe thanks for letting me know,
is exams solutions a good headstart

Mate just enjoy your summer. your teachers will make sure your skills are up to scratch before starting the course fully anyway.
Original post by Honeystone
Mate just enjoy your summer. your teachers will make sure your skills are up to scratch before starting the course fully anyway.

I am going to NCS that is it :biggrin:
Reply 55
What about it someone like me who is predicted an A, but always work hard for maths rather than natural ability, would I be handle it?
ONLY do it if you're not struggling with GCSE maths and also if you like it so much that you're willing to put in extra hours for it - I'm doing AS maths and personally, I love it but the exams will f**** you over.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 57
Original post by nomophobia
ONLY do it if you're not struggling with GCSE maths and also if you like it so much that you're willing to put in extra hours for it - I'm doing AS maths and personally, I love it but the exams will f**** you over.

Posted from TSR Mobile

What did you get at GCSE? Also did you work for that grade?
Reply 58
Original post by BirdIsWord
If you're a hard worker then it'll be easy for you.
It is a huge leap from GCSE maths to A level maths though.

What did you get at GCSE and a level maths?
Original post by Rajive
What did you get at GCSE? Also did you work for that grade?

A* in Maths which I did in year 10 and then I did Further Maths in year 11 in which I got an A.

Did absolutely nothing for GCSE Maths and Further Maths.

That is not the case at AS Level

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending