The Student Room Group

My Road to A* everywhere

Scroll to see replies

Original post by NiamhM1801
Is anyone else overwhelmingly tired? Like for me this holiday couldn't have come soon enough as I'm just so exhausted from revising daily and sitting exams daily...this probably isn't good is it?

IKR?! This week just seemed to drag on so it is really convenient to have a whole week off in the middle of exams :smile: Being tired probably means you've been working really hard so maybe it will result in better grades... I am going to sleep this whole week so I have energy to face another two weeks of exams :biggrin:
I looked at the unofficial mark scheme and I think I've gotten something around the high 70s. I'm happy with that. It's not great but then again I'm not great at maths and I don't particularly like it.

English Lit was amazing. I definitely did better than my mock. I had written 10 sides for my mock and had gotten 40/54. That was without practice and revision. Therefore, I'm hoping that I did even better than my mock considering I revised and practised for this exam a lot . I wrote 14.5 sides today.Idk why,but I love poetry. I'm the only boy in my school that does. Not even the girls like poetry.... State school life. Then again I am a bit eccentric. I've even written a couple of poems myself. ( Not that I have the balls to show anyone )

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Well yeah obviously a generous marker would be an added bonus :wink:

And same here it's so necessary - I'm exhausted!! I'm taking the whole of this weekend off to unwind (and celebrate my sisters birthday which was yesterday) so that I'm ready to crack on again on Monday. Hopefully by doing this it'll mean the cramming isn't quite so mental the night before each exam! :redface:

I'm cream-crackered :biggrin: I'm still going to try and do bits each day so I can take it at a slower pace, but I'm definitely looking forward to this weekend as I have quite a bit planned :smile:

Have fun celebrating your sister's birthday (happy birthday to her for yesterday) and I hope you use the time to relax

Original post by sahra30013
I found it really good but I guess u can say I have mixed feeling as I messed up the paper on Monday
Hopefully it'll average an A

That's good, and I feel the same about the first Lit paper :s-smilie: but we will have to wait and see :smile:

Original post by Mac117
That moment when you realise you have your worst exams ahead of you ;_;

I know how you feel - what exam is it? :smile:

Original post by ellamoon_22
English was brilliant now tine to revise maths cal paper 2:biggrin:

That's great!! Good luck for the maths :biggrin:

Original post by MezmorisedPotato
Don't worry about unseen poetry! When I did literature last year, I struggled and thought I messed up unseen poetry (On WJEC). However, that was the exam I got 100% UMS on. These examiners know you are working on the spot so they will mark positively as long as you've provided perceptive and engaging comments in your analysis. That exam managed to help me score the A* overall in literature. I'm sure you'll do amazing!:smile:

That's reassured me a lot - thanks :smile: (I know it wasn't directed at me)

Is anyone else overwhelmingly tired? Like for me this holiday couldn't have come soon enough as I'm just so exhausted from revising daily and sitting exams daily...this probably isn't good is it?

Definitely, and the last minute cramming can't have helped anyone :redface:

Original post by Anygy
Think I can get A's without revising much? I didn't revise at all for English Lang and got an A but I think that's just because I love story writing :tongue: I'm thinking about History and am really unsure how to revise for it :angry: SO MUCH CONTENT...

It depends how you are doing at the moment and what grades you are working at. For history try condensing notes so you can easily memorise everything :smile: Well done on English Language
It wad good got round 70ish i think which isnt too bad im usually around 80-85 so i need to improve in the calculator one:biggrin:

Well done! 70 ish is brilliant!! Good luck for the calculator paper :smile:

Original post by furtherlearner
Thanks :smile: I do the same but sometimes the pessimism gets the better of me! The exams have been good so far though

It's understandable, but it's good that the exams have been reasonably good for you so far - let's just hope it stays that way - which I'm sure it will.

Best of luck :biggrin:

Original post by MR.ANONYMOUS 786
I looked at the unofficial mark scheme and I think I've gotten something around the high 70s. I'm happy with that. It's not great but then again I'm not great at maths and I don't particularly like it.

English Lit was amazing. I definitely did better than my mock. I had written 10 sides for my mock and had gotten 40/54. That was without practice and revision. Therefore, I'm hoping that I did even better than my mock considering I revised and practised for this exam a lot . I wrote 14.5 sides today.Idk why,but I love poetry. I'm the only boy in my school that does. Not even the girls like poetry.... State school life. Then again I am a bit eccentric. I've even written a couple of poems myself. ( Not that I have the balls to show anyone )

Well done on Maths that's a fab score!

Glad you liked English Lit too - you will have aced it. There's nothing wrong with liking poetry and it's great you like to write them yourself. It's up to you to show them to people and don't worry if you don't want to, it's your choice :biggrin:
Well done on Maths that's a fab score!

Glad you liked English Lit too - you will have aced it. There's nothing wrong with liking poetry and it's great you like to write them yourself. It's up to you to show them to people and don't worry if you don't want to, it's your choice :biggrin:

Thanks. I hope I do. I usually do better in my calc papers so I guess if I work hard during these 11 days then I might even get an A*. That would be a miracle though because I don't really like maths.

I might reveal a couple of poems to you guys but I fear that it may reveal too much. I am MR.ANONYMOUS 786 after all.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by rihana.c
Yhh! omd I've been working everyday till like 12 to make sure I've revised enough and I am so happy this week is over so I can just relax a bit :smile:

Same here! Bed at 12 up at 5:30 most days as I always panic that I haven't revised enough! Yeah I'm making sure I actually get stuff done this holiday as I do NOT want a repeat of these 2 weeks!
It wad good got round 70ish i think which isnt too bad im usually around 80-85 so i need to improve in the calculator one:biggrin:

That's good to hear :biggrin:
I'm sure you'll do great in paper 2 :smile:
Original post by furtherlearner
IKR?! This week just seemed to drag on so it is really convenient to have a whole week off in the middle of exams :smile: Being tired probably means you've been working really hard so maybe it will result in better grades... I am going to sleep this whole week so I have energy to face another two weeks of exams :biggrin:

I was almost falling asleep on the bus this morning, I woke up extra early to annotate one of the predicted poems and it didn't even come up!

I've really been pushing these past 2 weeks, really giving it my all for these exams!

I'll be doing the same, really need to catch up on sleep too - my bed hasn't been this appealing since D of E!! :biggrin:
Original post by brainzistheword

I know how you feel - what exam is it? :smile:

Additional Mathematics. It's not that I don't enjoy it or something, but I do feel like it's kind of getting ahead of me and won't allow me to get into Oxbridge. I'm aiming for an A since it's a two year course I had to do in 7 months, partially self-taught. Have both of my exams next week and I have to say it gets pretty annoying when everyone else has already finished their exams and I sit at home revising because I want to be as good as possible (in fact, I'm always 3/4% away from the A* boundary - that's soooo frustrating!!). Then again, I am giving myself credit since I really went from almost a C (really low B at first) to a really high A :smile:

Another question. Do you think calling the Shakespearian lower-class people "plebs" is somewhat offensive? I do not know whether I should worry about that or not.
I was almost falling asleep on the bus this morning, I woke up extra early to annotate one of the predicted poems and it didn't even come up!

I've really been pushing these past 2 weeks, really giving it my all for these exams!

I'll be doing the same, really need to catch up on sleep too - my bed hasn't been this appealing since D of E!! :biggrin:

Tell me about it. I was awake the whole night revising for most of my exams. Especially maths. I was revising for English at 3 and fell asleep for 10 minutes 3 times.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Mac117
Additional Mathematics. It's not that I don't enjoy it or something, but I do feel like it's kind of getting ahead of me and won't allow me to get into Oxbridge. I'm aiming for an A since it's a two year course I had to do in 7 months, partially self-taught. Have both of my exams next week and I have to say it gets pretty annoying when everyone else has already finished their exams and I sit at home revising because I want to be as good as possible (in fact, I'm always 3/4% away from the A* boundary - that's soooo frustrating!!). Then again, I am giving myself credit since I really went from almost a C (really low B at first) to a really high A :smile:

Another question. Do you think calling the Shakespearian lower-class people "plebs" is somewhat offensive? I do not know whether I should worry about that or not.

Nope. Shows that you have a deeper contextual understanding. Most people our age don't even know what a pleb is.

Posted from TSR Mobile

You should really give yourself a break. Especially if you worked really hard the past two years (or however GCSE works in England :P ). I have only 3 exams left and halfway through I started to panic less as it all got very monotone, to the point where even when I knew the answer I was annoyed as they made me write it down (this will happen to you too probably - especially if you take many essay-based subjects like me, haha).

To be honest I might not get the amazing grades I was predicted, but I have to say I am happy with what I wrote so far - I know I tried my best and if the results don't totally reflect that, I won't mind.

Life is a bit more than these exams, and it sounds ironic since I'm the one saying it, but trust me, a day or two of free time will do sooo much good. :smile:
Nope. Shows that you have a deeper contextual understanding. Most people our age don't even know what a pleb is.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Phew! Glad to hear that. Really tried to use my vocabulary, and using "groundlings" (when referring to the play) or "lower class" more than 2 times seemed out of place for me. It's so good to have some kind of support here, haha.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Wow! To say you were dreading maths too - high 70s is a fantastic score regardless! :biggrin:

Good to hear you found English lit good, 14.5 sides!! That's amazing, your hand must have ached afterwards! I think I wrote about 8...although considering it was poetry it was pretty good for me (I'm pretty bad at poetry)

It's ok (and good!) that you like poetry, dont be ashamed of it! Although I completely understand not wanting to show anyone, as I'd probably be the same.
Original post by Mac117
Phew! Glad to hear that. Really tried to use my vocabulary, and using "groundlings" (when referring to the play) or "lower class" more than 2 times seemed out of place for me. It's so good to have some kind of support here, haha.

No worries.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Wow! To say you were dreading maths too - high 70s is a fantastic score regardless! :biggrin:

Good to hear you found English lit good, 14.5 sides!! That's amazing, your hand must have ached afterwards! I think I wrote about 8...although considering it was poetry it was pretty good for me (I'm pretty bad at poetry)

It's ok (and good!) that you like poetry, dont be ashamed of it! Although I completely understand not wanting to show anyone, as I'd probably be the same.

Thanks. I just have high expectations of myself. Lmao. Not really. I'm used to it. For my History Part C I had written 20 sides and my head of department had to sign my coursework to say that it was done within the time limit given. Thanks.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Mac117
You should really give yourself a break. Especially if you worked really hard the past two years (or however GCSE works in England :P ). I have only 3 exams left and halfway through I started to panic less as it all got very monotone, to the point where even when I knew the answer I was annoyed as they made me write it down (this will happen to you too probably - especially if you take many essay-based subjects like me, haha).

To be honest I might not get the amazing grades I was predicted, but I have to say I am happy with what I wrote so far - I know I tried my best and if the results don't totally reflect that, I won't mind.

Life is a bit more than these exams, and it sounds ironic since I'm the one saying it, but trust me, a day or two of free time will do sooo much good. :smile:

Thanks for this :smile: I know that I do too much sometimes so I'm definitely going to take this half term to properly chill. I understand about the monotony thing, although luckily for me rather than in the real exams it happens with every single past paper I do instead!

That's very true, at least I know that if I don't get the best grades at least I tried my best in every exam I've done (and will continue to do :smile:)

I know, it's probably just because exams are all anyone ever mentions to me atm (both family and friends) so I've kind of become bombarded with all this exam stuff and haven't really had time to clear my head. I've already mentioned, I'm taking this weekend off fully and then just doing light stuff through the week to ease the stress during the weeks after half term :smile:
Tell me about it. I was awake the whole night revising for most of my exams. Especially maths. I was revising for English at 3 and fell asleep for 10 minutes 3 times.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I haven't quite gone that far, as what I tend to do it try and get around 5 hours sleep minimum and then wake up extra early to do some more then - harder if it's a morning exam but quite nifty for an afternoon one. :wink:

(I'm also so tired that I laughed at the word 'nifty' oh my)
Thanks. I just have high expectations of myself. Lmao. Not really. I'm used to it. For my History Part C I had written 20 sides and my head of department had to sign my coursework to say that it was done within the time limit given. Thanks.

Posted from TSR Mobile

20 pages that's insane!! Was it handwritten too?

And I know how stupid it is (our school is very dysfunctional) but I still get shocked when other schools actually stick to the rules for things like coursework as ours never have. In geography for example you're not supposed to save it into your own drive as its technically not allowed to leave school premises but 90% of us did it both at home and pretty much doubled the word limit. Same for science (minus the home, we had to do it at school but were allowed as much time as we needed).
You don't know what happened at school. The fire alarm went on during our English exam and we had half hour left till the end of the exam- everyone went out but we were outside for 30 mins and everyone started to talk so we couldn't go back and finish it off. Guess everything happens for a reason :smile: It was a good paper though and the examiners are to be linient. So that's great :smile: Hoping for that A/B :biggrin:
Just wanted to share this :wink:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending