The Student Room Group

Edexcel IAL Chemistry Unit 1 (WCH01 )/ May 27 June 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by chemistryAYS
what did everyone get in the multiple choice for the amount of moles of water in every hydrated mole of the substance

I got 6.
Original post by Mimiastc
probally a really stupid question but which was the smallest with the ions mcq i.e. mg plus or LI plus or O 2minus i can't really remember the options...

also the first stage of separating the mgcl thing ?????

Smallest ion is Mg2+
Original post by Sandy_Vega30
Smallest ion is Mg2+

yay! thanks, everyone at my school said different things so wasn't sure haha
Original post by userk 12
cracking doesn't form hydrogen always right. idk but my notes had hydrogen as a valuable by product of reforming

I looked it up in google it was A i think
Isn't reforming the process in which straight-chain molecules are converted to branched forms? If so, it should be A, coz that was the only one forming an alkene.

I did same

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Mimiastc
yay! thanks, everyone at my school said different things so wasn't sure haha

Your Welcome! :grin:
Original post by Hamadtype-

but whats the difference between A and B. I was struggling to figure out which one it was but I ended up writing B ( the one with two alkenes and hydrogen)
Original post by Hamadtype-

Yay!!!!!!!! I Love you! :heart::banana:
Reply 208
Could someone remind me what the options were relevant to A B C D for the reforming question? I remember my answer but not the letter.
Original post by userk 12
cracking doesn't form hydrogen always right. idk but my notes had hydrogen as a valuable by product of reforming

Hydrogen was a must product i chose A for that
Isn't reforming the process in which straight-chain molecules are converted to branched forms? If so, it should be A, coz that was the only one forming an alkene.

I also did A and hydrogen was also a by product right?
Original post by MrBioBombastic
I also did A and hydrogen was also a by product right?

Yes!!!!! :smile:
Oh yeah! That makes sense! Damn it! :angry:

But A was the right answer
Original post by chemistryAYS
what did everyone get in the multiple choice for the amount of moles of water in every hydrated mole of the substance

6 moles
Original post by ToxicPhantom007
i wrote that amount of polymers may increase but to a little extent as percentages are low

I also wrote it will increase coz methane was 90%

It made sense because large compunds like Decane are reformed to cyclohexane and stuff. I got side tracked by that. Smaller molecules such as C4H10 are reformed into an alkene and H2. SO, for our case, i think its safe to say that A is the correct answer. :smile:

It made sense because large compounds like Decane are reformed to cyclohexane and stuff. I got side tracked by that. Smaller molecules such as C4H10 are reformed into an alkene and H2. SO, for our case, i think its safe to say that A is the correct answer. :smile:
Reply 217
I don't know which letter the choice was that showed a cyclic compound. However I'm getting confused by everyones responses because according to CGP "Reforming converts alkanes into aromatic hydrocarbons". Which source have you guys used to say it's just branched?
Yay!!!!!!!! I Love you! :heart::banana:

I got this from wikipedia which shows that the answer is probably D

Link:https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catalytic_reforming

image.png
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 219
Original post by omar5478
I got this from wikipedia which shows that the answer is probably D

image.png
Attachment not found

I agree with you because I also made this choice! :biggrin: