The Student Room Group

Reviews on the AS OCR Ethics exam today??

How do u guys do and what questions did you guys write?
I did question 1 and 4. I found question 1 part B question real hard! How can people other than religious people believe in the sanctity of life?

This thread is just to share answers on the AS Ethics exam.
Reply 1
Yeah I did 1 and 4 too, I thought it was pretty good. Same as the philosophy paper question 1 there wasn't a great deal to write about. Question 4 was great imo could write about precepts double effect interior exterior ...
However the B questions were definitely harder than in the Philosophy paper but still good :smile: @hxylxy
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by hxylxy
How do u guys do and what questions did you guys write?
I did question 1 and 4. I found question 1 part B question real hard! How can people other than religious people believe in the sanctity of life?

This thread is just to share answers on the AS Ethics exam.

I did 1 and 4 and found it very easy. I probably should have done Kantian Ethics as opposed to Question 1 but I think I did well enough. I wrote about 9 pages in total.

How did yous find it?
I did the singer and natural law questions, for the natural law questions I just showed how it had aspects of absolutism and relativism and deontology for the part A and then for the part B i talked about how without the synderesis principle there cannot be apparent goods so we consciously sin and then talked about how without without the aspect purpose we cannot have the primary precepts and this the secondary precepts.

For the singer question I talked about lower order and higher order beings and the replacement argument and then applied it to abortion and euthanasia, for part B i talked about how rule was easier to apply but was less accessible and that both didn't pay regard to special consequences, didn't really know what to write to be honest.

I hope what I wrote answered the questions, I don't even know if it was all that relevant but I hope its enough for an A, what did you guys write for theses questions ?
Reply 4
Original post by ivybridge
I did 1 and 4 and found it very easy. I probably should have done Kantian Ethics as opposed to Question 1 but I think I did well enough. I wrote about 9 pages in total.

How did yous find it?

I thought the question with preference utilitarianism was a waste by OCR, doubt anyone would have even tried to answer that
Original post by Xepz
I thought the question with preference utilitarianism was a waste by OCR, doubt anyone would have even tried to answer that

I think some did. Preference Utilitarianism is quite hard because there's little to say to fill 25 marks but oh well, you have a choice of four.
Reply 6
I think some did. Preference Utilitarianism is quite hard because there's little to say to fill 25 marks but oh well, you have a choice of four.

Yeah there's literally so little about him
Reply 7
No you haven't, did you not do it all, tbh part b is all about interpretation,no same answers have to be right
Original post by budgetdeficit99
I missed a 10 marker, have I ruined my chances of getting an A for this paper?
Original post by budgetdeficit99
I missed a 10 marker, have I ruined my chances of getting an A for this paper?

Original post by Titi98
No you haven't, did you not do it all, tbh part b is all about interpretation,no same answers have to be right

Hey,

I'll be honest with you and say that the A mark is unlikely if this is what has happened. You would have had to secure near-to top marks on each other question. It is not impossibly but it is extremely unlikely. Don't worry too much - you did your best.
Reply 9
It's only like 75% ish for an A overall, this year probably lower you could lose like 19 marks in both papers and still get an A so as long as you did well in the other paper it's all okay @budgetdeficit99
Reply 10
Original post by Xepz
It's only like 75% ish for an A overall, this year probably lower you could lose like 19 marks in both papers and still get an A so as long as you did well in the other paper it's all okay @budgetdeficit99

Do you know the grade boundaries overall, for A, B and C? I thought it was higher than that so i'm really happy :smile:
Reply 11
I played it so safe by doing natural law for both 1 and 4. I really really wanted to do question 3 too but me being lazy and a coward I just stuck to natural law cause it was safe marks to get 😂

I did Singer's preference Utilitarianism and natural law
Original post by Broke24/7
I did Singer's preference Utilitarianism and natural law

me too, what did you write about ?
Original post by nihil_nimis
me too, what did you write about ?

I talked about abortion and made up a case study and then said what singer's approach would be, genetic engineering. I think it went well. What about you?
Reply 15
I did Kant on War and Natural Law- exam went really well in my opinion.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Broke24/7
I talked about abortion and made up a case study and then said what singer's approach would be, genetic engineering. I think it went well. What about you?

Yeah I did the same thing but I also talked about euthanasia, I didn't do any case studies though, but somehow I ended up writing a lot for the Singer question, what did you do for the part b and do you know how many pages were in the exam booklet, just so I can figure out how much I wrote ?

Thanks
Reply 17
Did anybody do question 1 part 2?? And what'd id you write? I'm ended up writing about kantian ethics for the second argument and how Kant believe that everyone regardless of faith could use their rreason to be moral and so that means that those that arnt religious can believe that life is a gift? Also talked about weak sanctity of life??

I honestly waffled a bit for the 10 marker. What did anybody else write?
Original post by nihil_nimis
Yeah I did the same thing but I also talked about euthanasia, I didn't do any case studies though, but somehow I ended up writing a lot for the Singer question, what did you do for the part b and do you know how many pages were in the exam booklet, just so I can figure out how much I wrote ?

Thanks

My part b's I was pretty short as i was running out of time.
I typed mine, so it was about 3 pages size 11 font and I messed up on my first part b for natural law because i was just b*llsh!tting because i didn't know what idea of purpose was. But i think i figured it out with my answer. The Utilitarian part b I talked about how mill approach was better added his quote. 'better to be a human dissatisfied than a pig satisfied, better to be Socrates dissatisfied than a fool satisfied'.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending