The Student Room Group

Edexcel GCSE Mathematics May/June 2016 Official Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by dizzyisi
It will be fine we got told to leave them in pencil as long as it was in HB

Posted from TSR Mobile

****, I don't think my pencil was HB... Will I lose marks for this? I had no idea what the rationale was for using HB so I just used any old pencil, not sure of the type. Probably H?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by greenmang0
****, I don't think my pencil was HB... Will I lose marks for this? I had no idea what the rationale was for using HB so I just used any old pencil, not sure of the type. Probably H?

i think its because HB pencil shows up best.

---

as for what i thought of the exam? oh dear. do you ever feel personally victimised by an exam? (thanks for putting all of my weakest stuff on the paper edexcel ur my fav)
Original post by meechy darko
anyone know what it would be for a C on the foundation paper?

About 70-73% it changes each year, but normally in that ball park
Original post by sickaaron
About 70-73% it changes each year, but normally in that ball park

well on all the other papers ive done its about 63-66/100
Original post by meechy darko
well on all the other papers ive done its about 63-66/100

Just going from what my tutor told me (our class)

June 2015 Grade Boundaries were - 139 overall - so 69.5% per paper - But you can't get half a mark, so 70% per paper to get a C.
Nov 2015 Grade Boundaries were - 144 overall - so 72% per paper to get a C.

But the boundaries are normally higher in the Nov sitting compared with the June, due to the amount of people taking the exams at those points.
(edited 7 years ago)
Here's a set of questions I've made of all the topics which haven't come up yet on the Higher Tier Paper. It's too long to be an actual paper, but it covers most (if not all) of the topics which could come up. Hope people find it useful

https://www.dropbox.com/s/b4vyzfalfvrvexg/2016%20Predicted%20Calculator%20Topics.pdf?dl=0
okay im back on here and ready to get some advice on maths calculator exam
Original post by greenmang0

i thought you had to use Pen for the exam
Original post by kasumikat

I didn't understand the instructions on the front of the paper :colondollar:
Original post by kasumikat

We was told to use pen in our exam. Think its to ensure that you show all your working out and dont use a rubber etc..

I'm aiming for a C grade (crap at maths), and have calculated from the unofficial mark scheme that I have around 40marks on the non calculator paper, so aiming for at least 30 on the calculator paper.

What topics are you all revising? I noticed that cumulative frequency and histograms weren't on the non calc paper... can't remember what else didnt pop up
Anyone have any predicted grade boundaries for the higher tier paper (obviously just based on 1 paper atm so out of 100)? I think I got at least 86 or so marks...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 451
Original post by HouseOfRichman
Anyone have any predicted grade boundaries for the higher tier paper (obviously just based on 1 paper atm so out of 100)? I think I got at least 86 or so marks...

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'd say maximum 83, though I think it's be lower considering a lot of people found it hard. It was definitely easier than last year imo so it won't go as low as 77/78. Obviously I can't be 100% sure, and it all depends on the calc too :biggrin:
Reply 452
what topics could come up in the calculator exam?
Reply 453
Original post by oen1bh
what topics could come up in the calculator exam?

Trigonometry for sure, trial and error possibly, areas/volumes, congruence and similarity. Not too sure what else.
https://www.mathswatchvle.com/docs/PredictionsforEdexcel2016.pdf

the key to success for the calculator paper, you welcome:smile:
Original post by AsiyaAden9879
https://www.mathswatchvle.com/docs/PredictionsforEdexcel2016.pdf

the key to success for the calculator paper, you welcome:smile:

thanks
Original post by themathsmonkey
Here's a set of questions I've made of all the topics which haven't come up yet on the Higher Tier Paper. It's too long to be an actual paper, but it covers most (if not all) of the topics which could come up. Hope people find it useful

https://www.dropbox.com/s/b4vyzfalfvrvexg/2016%20Predicted%20Calculator%20Topics.pdf?dl=0

Thanks mate but do you have a mark scheme for this really appreciate it bro?
Hi everyone!

I was wondering if anyone knows the pass mark? I have seen 75% but have found grade boundaries saying 72%.

:colondollar:
Thanks!
Original post by NiamhM1801
Has anyone done those worst answered question compilation papers that edexcel made? I've done one of them and I'm going to do another because they were pretty manageable (got 63/71) but j made a few really stupid mistakes. They're good prep for difficult questions that might come up in ours as they make you think a bit more.

Where did you get the paper from? I have looked but cant seem to find it?

I have done every past paper including Novembers!

Thank you!:smile:
Original post by LisaLouiseFox
Where did you get the paper from? I have looked but cant seem to find it?

I have done every past paper including Novembers!

Thank you!:smile:

http://www.mrbartonmaths.com/gcsepapers.htm

Very bottom of this page :smile:

Quick Reply