The Student Room Group

Is uni really worth it?

Given how already expensive university is and given how tuition fees could rise *again*. Is all the debt and time really worth a degree?
I'm in college studying tourism and I was considering applying to university with the hope of moving abroad and setting up a hotel/guesthouse but considering I stand to be in about £51,000 worth of debt I'm not sure if it's worth the debt.
is a decent salary really worth it?

/thread
Reply 2
Original post by BirdIsWord

/thread

I'd like to have a proper conversation about it instead of sarcasm please.
Original post by sennitakala

It's not sarcasm its pure fact.
Most decent jobs nowadays require at least a degree, even retail jobs sometimes.

UNLESS You go straight into apprenticeships in which case not going to Uni isnt so bad.
But with the job you want to go into, will it even make a difference if you have a degree?
I'm pretty sure guests won't want to work what you studied when they stay at your guest house...

/thread

This is true. Unfortunately, too many people who look at university negatively assume that because one can get a job without a degree it won't hold them back later on in their career. The fact is that degrees do matter, especially later on in your career when promotions will be determined.
Given how already expensive university is and given how tuition fees could rise *again*. Is all the debt and time really worth a degree?
I'm in college studying tourism and I was considering applying to university with the hope of moving abroad and setting up a hotel/guesthouse but considering I stand to be in about £51,000 worth of debt I'm not sure if it's worth the debt.

Mate, I think your comment is bang tidy about getting a tourism degree to set up a hotel business abroad, but not spot on when considering getting a English Lit degree to become, say, a marketing exec, or a Maths degree to become an actuary or CEO etc.
Reply 7
I think it is massively worth it; I don't think there is a degree out there that couldn't hugely benefit you if you work hard, and even if you don't do very well the experience of going to university, meeting new people from a range of backgrounds and living independently is extremely valuable (oh, and it's fun). And when it comes to debt, well I understand the concerns, but personally I think the repayment system is extremely generous. If you have a passion for any subject I think you should consider going to university, ignore all the angry, jealous, pessimists that seem bitter about higher education - I think it is an amazing, hugely beneficial experience and yeah, some things cost money, a degree costs money.

I personally think the way public opinion has swung against higher education is a disgrace, how have we reached a point where education, the pursuit of knowledge, the desire to better yourself, is seen as a negative? It is absolutely baffling to me. To a huge extent you have to blame the Tory government for increasing fees, but at the same time, don't let those fees put you off.

A degree will help you achieve your goals in life, no-one anywhere is worse off for going to university.

You make a good point. For some people it os and others it is not. You need to decide whether it is worth it for you.

You need to do research. If its tourism you are after, then you should look at how people in the job you want made their way there. Look at where the graduates from the successful tourism degrees go to. If you want to join a large organisation, then its likely they will value a degree and you will make faster progress in management. If you wnat to just start your own B&B, then think about whether you need a degree at all. Experience will be even more valuable as will any work that helps you save a deposit.

I definitely wouldnt rule out not going or at least delaying it until you know why you are going and exactly what you wnat to do. That said the money is less like real borrowing because of the generous terms on which its lent.

The average amount of debt will be £44,000 according to Sutton Trust. For many people a large portion of that is never paid back.

University is not for everyone, so don't be a sheeple and go becayse everyone else does. You can go later if need be.
(edited 7 years ago)
- Until top employers stop cherry picking grads from the best universities, it will continue to be worth it
- Until you can skip the whole process of bachelors to masters to PhD, it will be worth it
- Until there is another form of validation that you are at least somewhat competent enough, socially aware and adjusted to work with others, it will be worth it
- Until medicine, engineering, architecture and various other prescribed degree paths to professional careers cease to require university as an option, it will be worth it
- Until school leavers in aggregate make more than university grads in aggregate, it will be worth it
- Until universities cease being centres of top tier research and development with access to immense resources, it will be worth it
- Until the % of income we pay back becomes unsustainable or even detrimental, it will be worth it
- Until job requirements stop trending towards asking for a degree at minimum, it will be worth it
- etc

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 10
It's not sarcasm its pure fact.
Most decent jobs nowadays require at least a degree, even retail jobs sometimes.

UNLESS You go straight into apprenticeships in which case not going to Uni isnt so bad.

I completely agree withBirdIsWord
In the area that i live you need to have a bachelor's degree to even work as a receptionist. The only job that you can get is a CSR or a cleaner if you do not have a higher education.
Think about it this way- you will earn around £15-£25K for a job that does not require a degree
If you have a bachelor's degree or a master's you will be able to earn around £25-£40K depending on what area of work you pursue.
If you want to be a doctor or a lawyer then you are REQUIRED to have a degree.
For people like me (I want to become a lawyer) uni is the only way to go. So yeah you might Save around £30k on uni if you don't go but in the long term you'll be struggling to even pay the bills especially in the future as everything is getting more expensive.Where as a law graduate will be earning £40-£90K in their first year of practice

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
Original post by Jjj90
I think it is massively worth it; I don't think there is a degree out there that couldn't hugely benefit you if you work hard, and even if you don't do very well the experience of going to university, meeting new people from a range of backgrounds and living independently is extremely valuable (oh, and it's fun). And when it comes to debt, well I understand the concerns, but personally I think the repayment system is extremely generous. If you have a passion for any subject I think you should consider going to university, ignore all the angry, jealous, pessimists that seem bitter about higher education - I think it is an amazing, hugely beneficial experience and yeah, some things cost money, a degree costs money.

I personally think the way public opinion has swung against higher education is a disgrace, how have we reached a point where education, the pursuit of knowledge, the desire to better yourself, is seen as a negative? It is absolutely baffling to me. To a huge extent you have to blame the Tory government for increasing fees, but at the same time, don't let those fees put you off.

A degree will help you achieve your goals in life, no-one anywhere is worse off for going to university.

So true!! Especially about the pursuit of knowledge being looked down on

Posted from TSR Mobile
OK, on the debt thing: it isn't a debt. It's a graduate tax that the government doesn't want to admit is a graduate tax. It doesn't affect you in any significant way, ever. You can pretty much entirely disregard it from a decision making perspective.

Also you'll more than make up for it, on average.
(edited 7 years ago)

Ask a question that sounds mostly negative and you'll be met with the same response.

You're asking for a degree that takes years to master along with accommodation versus a job that requires you to work in dead end positions for way longer to get the same salary of course the trade off is worth it. The only thing that isn't worth it is doing degrees that aren't career focused.

Think about it: if your options are fast food or high paying, more seriously taken position that lasts longer which are you going to pick? It's a no brainer. No-one wants to be stuck doing menial jobs when they could be on a career ladder with guaranteed hours and a SECURE position.
(edited 4 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending