The Student Room Group

Edexcel GCSE Mathematics A Higher Paper 2016 Unofficial Markscheme

Scroll to see replies

Oh crabs! For the first question I forgot to put the units metres cubed and just put 750, does that mean I get zero marks? Even for the working out I didn't put metres squared on the 30 and 25.
Original post by bladesdontdie
Oh crabs! For the first question I forgot to put the units metres cubed and just put 750, does that mean I get zero marks? Even for the working out I didn't put metres squared on the 30 and 25.

You'll probably drop one mark

For the circle theorem question I assumed the angle given was the alternate angle to the triangle and used that for calculating the other angles and gave correct reasons e.g base angles in isosceles are equal, angles in a triangle, tangents hit radii 90 degrees etc. How many marks would I get? Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
Does anyone know who the first person was to upload this on TSR?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8gH_6uqZjz2ZTZveHdDOFh0czA/view?pref=2&pli=1
Hey guys, i had a question regarding my exam paper. In qustion 22 in this maths paper i had deleted some working out and the page looked a bit messy afterwards. Later I found the answer and all the new working out has also been written. However, i also written at the top of the page (still inside the scanned box) "apologies for mess". Would this message penalise me in any way?
Original post by Jem +
You'll probably drop one mark

Thanks for the quick reply!
Original post by Tommunnelly
Can some one explain to me what method marks are? some people say you get method marks even if you use the wrong numbers but have the right method of approaching the question?

Larger questions have more marks, because it takes more steps to completely them. So they award marks on doing the correct method, which is pretty fair, some people just make basic errors, shouldn't really be docked 5 marks just because of that.
Original post by jaspreetb
No, you're wrong, although both are divisible by 25, doing so would change the actual value of the end answer. The final answer is 100-25 pi

What he did was correct, while I think you'll get full marks for 100-25pi. 25(4-pi) will still come to the correct value since s/he hasn't divided by 25, just factored by 25.
Original post by MehdiK24
Hey guys, i had a question regarding my exam paper. In qustion 22 in this maths paper i had deleted some working out and the page looked a bit messy afterwards. Later I found the answer and all the new working out has also been written. However, i also written at the top of the page (still inside the scanned box) "apologies for mess". Would this message penalise me in any way?

No probably not. You'll be fine as long as they can at least understand how you came you your final answer.
For the circle theorem question I assumed the angle given was the alternate angle to the triangle and used that for calculating the other angles and gave correct reasons e.g base angles in isosceles are equal, angles in a triangle, tangents hit radii 90 degrees etc. How many marks would I get? Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile

You don't need to put units of measurement on your workings - just answers.
You won't get 0 though, will probably just drop one mark.
I think I got 68, but I think this exam was harder than the other past paper so how much would that be
B or A?
Original post by DrPeter
I think the grades are likely to be slightly higher but I think you are in the right ballpark (depends on Paper 2).

".........got hard quite quickly...." - Basic fractions for 6 marks at Question 18???

But I agree there were some tough questions.

Lol - yeah, apart from the basic fraction questions, the second half was harder.

I don't think the grade boundaries will be higher than the June 2014 paper - or, if it is higher, then it won't be much higher. IMO, I think the June 2014 paper was about the same standard, if not a little easier.

This is a link to the June 2014 paper (just for comparison's sake).
I think I got 68, but I think this exam was harder than the other past paper so how much would that be
B or A?:smile:
I think I got 26 but I answer every bit in the paper and showed my workings out on questions I knew I wasn't gonna get, like on the last questions I knew nothing but out 180= straight line and 360= circle and 180= triangle!
Original post by Ahmed Abdelgadir

depends what you get on the cal paper
to get a you will need approx 70 marks to get your A
what do you think was the hardest question
Original post by Debruyne
what do you think was the hardest question

Question 13. Worst case scenario I got 92/100. I. HAD. NO. CLUE. What to do for that question, I must have just had a massive brain fart. Still kicking myself over it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending