The Student Room Group

Wednesday 8th June - OCR GCSE Computing Exam

Scroll to see replies

Original post by iEthan
Hiya everyone,

I took this exam last year and I'm willing to help anyone that needs it! Simply quote me or PM me and I'll see what I can do! :yep:

Keep in mind I won't correct coursework code and I won't simply tell you answers because that would be cheating. I can give you pointers and exam information, especially what to revise! :woo:

Let me know!
Ethan :h:

Hi can I have some revision tips regarding the exam. Also those annoying 5-6 mark questions on programming standards and protocols are my weakness. Do U have any tips for that topic?
When I say I'm doomed for this exam I mean I am DOOMED!!! I've revised for everything but computing HELP ME!!
Reply 82
Eek a week on Wednesday! Let's hope they are kind this yr
Original post by amber2212
When I say I'm doomed for this exam I mean I am DOOMED!!! I've revised for everything but computing HELP ME!!

I managed to grab an A* in the Mock, so I guess I can help.
First steps are to get the revision guide 100% - Read through some of the topics and make note some of the things you have no idea about and need to revise.
The next step is either to look at your specification for the exam board or this: http://www.teach-ict.com/gcse_computing/ocr/GCSE_A451_topics.html

If you focus on all the questions you didn't do as well on, you should be fine! :smile:

Oh, also - If you aren't a complete nerd like me and read through the whole revision guide cover to cover for fun, I'd advise making flash cards and testing yourself on topics everyday!

Revise the questions that came up last year - atleast the style.
Lossy and Lossless compression usually comes up
Input Output devices
Types of storage
CPU (FE Cycle etc)
Coding Standards (appropriate variable names etc)
Laws surrounding code (open source etc)

Go over everything and you'll be fine! :smile:
Original post by iEthan
Hiya everyone,

I took this exam last year and I'm willing to help anyone that needs it! Simply quote me or PM me and I'll see what I can do! :yep:

Keep in mind I won't correct coursework code and I won't simply tell you answers because that would be cheating. I can give you pointers and exam information, especially what to revise! :woo:

Let me know!

What did you get in this last year?
Original post by zXcodeXz
What did you get in this last year?

A* :h:
Original post by iEthan
A* :h:

Nice! No ones getting an A* in our year lol
Nice! No ones getting an A* in our year lol

Nah, I reckon you'll be OK! How did you do in your coursework?
Original post by iEthan
Nah, I reckon you'll be OK! How did you do in your coursework?

Really bad got C for both then again the teacher done nothing to help to be honest
Really bad got C for both then again the teacher done nothing to help to be honest

The paper really isn't too bad, you'll definitely get a B if you use the textbook and do ALL of the past papers! (Probably an A if you really push it!)
Original post by iEthan
The paper really isn't too bad, you'll definitely get a B if you use the textbook and do ALL of the past papers! (Probably an A if you really push it!)

Ok thanks I'm pretty sure it's not possible to get an A with CC
Ok thanks I'm pretty sure it's not possible to get an A with CC

It might not be :redface: but a B is definitely achievable
Original post by iEthan
It might not be :redface: but a B is definitely achievable

Yeah I'm going for that
Original post by iEthan
Hiya everyone,

Let me know!

Has anyone got the 2015 papers for Computing? OCR hasn't published them yet and they're the only set I haven't done yet? :/
Original post by Curry Muncher
Has anyone got the 2015 papers for Computing? OCR hasn't published them yet and they're the only set I haven't done yet? :/

Sadly I won't be able to give those to you :sad: send your teacher an email, they'll definitely have them.
Original post by iEthan
Sadly I won't be able to give those to you :sad: send your teacher an email, they'll definitely have them.

I have done so, but I have no idea when they'll reply. :sigh: Maybe someone else will have them
I have done so, but I have no idea when they'll reply. :sigh: Maybe someone else will have them

Best of luck :sad:
Original post by iEthan
Best of luck :sad:

Thanks you :smile: what marks did you get for the A452 and A453 coursework?
Thanks you :smile: what marks did you get for the A452 and A453 coursework?

I can't remember the specific marks but I got A on both of them :excited:
Original post by iEthan
I can't remember the specific marks but I got A on both of them :excited:

Ah nice, I got A* on both, but I'd be surprised if they aren't moderated down. Hopefully this years paper will be decent. What were they difficult topics that came up when you sat it, if you can remember?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending