The Student Room Group

Will my maintenance loan affect my carer's housing benefit?

I live with my father and intend to continue to do so when I go to uni this year.
My father receives housing benefit to pay the rent and I was wondering if the money paid into my bank account from my maintenance loan will affect whether he continues to receive this. I've tried to find out via googling but haven't been able to find any hard answers.
Thanks in advance. :smile:
I think it decreases the amount of benefit you get, by around £20-£30.

My sister goes to uni and stays at home and the amount of housing benefit we got decreased, because they viewed her as able to pay rent?

Your situation may be slightly different though, your best bet may be to call your council up and ask :smile:
Have you (or he) spoke to anyone at the council?
Original post by Dr Fishy
I live with my father and intend to continue to do so when I go to uni this year.
My father receives housing benefit to pay the rent and I was wondering if the money paid into my bank account from my maintenance loan will affect whether he continues to receive this. I've tried to find out via googling but haven't been able to find any hard answers.
Thanks in advance. :smile:

Yes, a student loan is counted as an income for benefits purposes (even if you decide not to take it for most councils) . this link is pretty comprehensive http://www.nus.org.uk/en/advice/money-and-funding/can-i-claim-government-benefits-as-a-student/#4 .
Original post by claireestelle
Yes, a student loan is counted as an income for benefits purposes (even if you decide not to take it for most councils) . this link is pretty comprehensive http://www.nus.org.uk/en/advice/money-and-funding/can-i-claim-government-benefits-as-a-student/#4 .

That applies if you're entitled to benefits as a full time student. There are sometimes deductions if you receive benefits and live with someone who isn't.

I'm away at the moment. I'll post more information when I'm back home.
Original post by Tiger Rag
That applies if you're entitled to benefits as a full time student. There are sometimes deductions if you receive benefits and live with someone who isn't.

I'm away at the moment. I'll post more information when I'm back home.

Oh i see, got a bit confused there.
Reply 6
Original post by Tiger Rag
Have you (or he) spoke to anyone at the council?

Not yet, but based on these replies I guess one of us will have to if I want a conclusive answer.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending