The Student Room Group

Compelling Personal Reasons SFE?

I wrote a letter to SFE to confirm my eligibility for funding after leaving my course of study in my second year, I now wish to return to university education after loosing three family members within the space of three years. The letter SFE sent me tells me they want independent evidence from either the likes of a doctor, counsellor or my old tutor. The problem is that at the time I didn't seek out any independent help although my managers at work definatly noticed an attitude change in a negative way. Is there anything I can do about this now?
Reply 1
I probably should add that the new course I want to do is 3 years so I would only be eligible for 2 years funding without submitting compelling personal reasons. Can anyone help?
Reply 2
Help me anybody?
Reply 3
Did none of your lecturers know what you were going through?
Reply 4
Nvm
You can prove that these people died.

Its going to be hard to have independent evidence my a medical professional if you didnt see anyone. Are you being treated for anything now by a counselor or your GP? Im not sure your managers statement would be much use unless you took time off or they had to make special arrangements for you?

Why cant you get a letter from your ex uni about it being the reason you left your last course? I would start with that and the death certificates.
Reply 6
Original post by 999tigger
You can prove that these people died.

Its going to be hard to have independent evidence my a medical professional if you didnt see anyone. Are you being treated for anything now by a counselor or your GP? Im not sure your managers statement would be much use unless you took time off or they had to make special arrangements for you?

Why cant you get a letter from your ex uni about it being the reason you left your last course? I would start with that and the death certificates.

Thank you, I know I could get hold of death certificates but the only things I'm being treated for currently is physical possibly heart related problems. I broke down crying in front of my manager (extremely embarrassing) and I did get sent home for a death so I don't know if that counts

Who would I contact from my old uni? I'm worried that because they didn't know about the problems I was having they won't help.

Thank you by the way :smile:
Original post by Anonymous
Thank you, I know I could get hold of death certificates but the only things I'm being treated for currently is physical possibly heart related problems. I broke down crying in front of my manager (extremely embarrassing) and I did get sent home for a death so I don't know if that counts

Who would I contact from my old uni? I'm worried that because they didn't know about the problems I was having they won't help.

Thank you by the way :smile:

I think its less three deaths in three years but the main focus will be why you gave up Uni at the time you did. Didnt you have any interaction with your tutor and didnt you tell your department you were leaving and why? Im not so sure they will be interested in whats befallen you since leaving becayse they are trying to answer the question of whether they should write off the money they paid for your fees in your second year die to compelling personal reasons, so whoever died then would be significant. More so if it was a parent or sibling. In any event you must have told someone at Uni? Counselor, tutor? They are the people who can confirm thats the reason you left.

Your employers can write something, but am not convinced how persuasive that is going to be. What about a local religious person, priest or vicar or equivalent?

Here is some good info on the sort of thing they look for and you will need to write. Have a read and you will appreciate what they are looking for.
https://www.aber.ac.uk/en/student-finance/money-management/guides/personal-reasons/
Reply 8
Original post by 999tigger
I think its less three deaths in three years but the main focus will be why you gave up Uni at the time you did. Didnt you have any interaction with your tutor and didnt you tell your department you were leaving and why? Im not so sure they will be interested in whats befallen you since leaving becayse they are trying to answer the question of whether they should write off the money they paid for your fees in your second year die to compelling personal reasons, so whoever died then would be significant. More so if it was a parent or sibling. In any event you must have told someone at Uni? Counselor, tutor? They are the people who can confirm thats the reason you left.

Your employers can write something, but am not convinced how persuasive that is going to be. What about a local religious person, priest or vicar or equivalent?

Here is some good info on the sort of thing they look for and you will need to write. Have a read and you will appreciate what they are looking for.
https://www.aber.ac.uk/en/student-finance/money-management/guides/personal-reasons/

Thank you, you are very helpful :smile:

If worst comes to worst I still have two years of funding left and a CertHE so I might be able to finish my studies at another uni provided I started on the second year. I will try this first though, thank you again, you are a wonderful and kind person :smile:

If worst comes to worst I still have two years of funding left and a CertHE so I might be able to finish my studies at another uni provided I started on the second year. I will try this first though, thank you again, you are a wonderful and kind person :smile:

Your welcome

Its important you understand what they are looking for and what you have to do. the first link was helpful in that respect. Its to do with the reason you left your course, it has to be the bereavementor soem other medical condition. this is why your tutor or any members of staff or the Uni are important as they can confirm thats the reason you left.If your results were good or on course till then, that would further support the idea that something else made you leave the course i.e the bereavement.

You are a bit sparing on the detail, but comments on who died, your closeness and the effect on you would be relevant i.e that it had a big impact and made it impossible to carry on studying.the nature of the persons death might be relevant, whether you were going to hopsital etc. Perhaps you spoke to a hospital chaplain etc? Your GP might help you if they know you well enough. It appears your managers are after this main event, unless they knew you at the time.

You should follow the templaye in the link, but you will need to draft it carefully to get the right balance.

You have to make sure your appeal contains as best it can what they are looking for and that means understanding the rules, preparing a logical case and supporting it with evidence. This is the rule they are looking at para 167 and 168.

Evidence of compelling personal reasons: for both “current” and “old” system students 168.

As far as is reasonably practicable, evidence should be obtained from the student or elsewhere to support a claim that the withdrawal was for compelling personal reasons or the need to repeat a year is for compelling personal reasons. For instance, the student might be able to provide medical evidence from his GP; or perhaps a HEI’s student support advisory service could (with the student’s permission) attest to a personal or family crisis. Other possible sources might include social services or the clergy. (However, the Department would not reimburse any costs incurred by the student in obtaining such evidence.) This guidance is not exhaustive and SFE should look at all cases carefully.

http://www.practitioners.slc.co.uk/medi/1062/sfe_assessing_eligibility_guidance_11-12_final_v4__updated_25-10-11_.pdf

Look at it this way its a letter that could be worth between £9,000-£18,000 for you so its a good reason to take it seriously and put in the effort.
Hopefully you know what and why you have to do things, but drop me a pm if you get stuck. You have nothing to lose by trying.
Reply 10

If you have a CertHE, you won't get funding for your first year anyway. This is covered by the Equivalent or Lower Qualification (ELQ) rule. Sounds like second year entry is a good option if you can find it.
Original post by Klix88
If you have a CertHE, you won't get funding for your first year anyway. This is covered by the Equivalent or Lower Qualification (ELQ) rule. Sounds like second year entry is a good option if you can find it.

So provided they had the a-levels would universities accept it?
Reply 12
There's no way of knowing. Every uni will make its own decision and every transfer decision will be made on a case-by-case basis.
Original post by Klix88
There's no way of knowing. Every uni will make its own decision and every transfer decision will be made on a case-by-case basis.

Where does it say you wouldn't get funding if you had a CertHE?
Reply 14
Page 38-39 of this SF Practitioners' guide:
http://www.practitioners.slc.co.uk/media/7070/sfe-1617-assessing-eligibility-guidance.pdf

A CertHE is the equivalent of the first year of a degree. There would be a minimum Maintenance Loan and no Tuition Fee Loan. The full entitlement kicks in again for the second year onwards.
I am experiencing a similar thing . I believe you can have a personal assessment from the GP. If you can get you old tutor to write you a letter, explaining what happened, and then support this with an letter from a nurse or doctor then this should be sufficient. There is no way they can begrudge you after losing family members. The fact that they are so strict with it- is ridiculous. It is horrible to make people relieve such traumatic experiences.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending