The Student Room Group

Should we segregate the underclass in Britain?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Inexorably
No because this is the 21st century where we should be seeking to assist people not to isolate them from wider society simply because you don't approve of them :s-smilie:.

Can we not assist people while isolating them and bringing them back when they are reformed?
Original post by Grand High Witch
Segregated but given rehabilitation and support to get them back on their feet?

What if they're on their feet?

As I literally just said, I held down a job at the time. Perfect normally functioning member of society... until I leave the pub at 2am and sing Dropkick Murphys very loudly all the way home.

You're labouring under the delusion that these people need help. I didn't. Most people I know, who were in the same boat as me, also didn't. We worked a hard day, then got smashed or mashed. Ain't nothing wrong with that as long as no-one gets hurt eh?
Original post by black1blade
I honestly think I hate people who say "ad hominem" more than the people who's opinions I disagree with. Not all unemployed people are "chavs" by the way. My mum is unemployed and I probably more well mannered and intelligent than most of the kids at my school. Money doesn't count for everything and hopefully one day I'll be earning money as a functional member of society because my mum had time to raise and support me, rather than the kids who are neglected and subsequently go off the rails or don't fulfill their full potential ect.

Lol stereotypes are just wrong. I think "chavs" get prejudice worse from white people than blacks. Because to say such vicious things to blacks is racist, but to "chavs," "yobs" and "neds" it's like well you're white so it's not wrong. No it is. We've taken on generations of poverty and apparently discrimination beyond our control as well. But not everyone is just sat around. I know some shiftless "upper" class people as well.
Original post by Drunk Punx

As I literally just said, I held down a job at the time. Perfect normally functioning member of society... until I leave the pub at 2am and sing Dropkick Murphys very loudly all the way home.

You're labouring under the delusion that these people need help. I didn't. Most people I know, who were in the same boat as me, also didn't. We worked a hard day, then got smashed or mashed. Ain't nothing wrong with that as long as no-one gets hurt eh?

But you weren't all of the things on my list on a daily basis, were you? That's the "underclass".

Wait what? Mate are you still "smashed?"
Segregated but given rehabilitation and support to get them back on their feet?

Wtf is "segregated?" Send us where then? lmao.
Original post by 0to100
Wtf is "segregated?" Send us where then? lmao.

"Us" - so you're all the things on my list on a daily basis?
"Underclass" is such a vile classification too. Have some respect for your fellow human. Dear god.
"Us" - so you're all the things on my list on a daily basis?

Your list is **** but again where are you going to send this "underclass" You'd have to reorganise everything, legislatively, as to who is a "chav" and for example, what schools to send them, which means phase out the current schools and send the current students elsewhere just so that the "chavs" can be "segregated" in their own place :rofl: that is so realistic! Did you think this through? ...And then you'd have to do the same to neighbourhoods, what area is reserved that can take in these relocated "chavs?"

It's like the Trail of Tears when the American colonialists made the Natives isolate in a certain part of the country, all in a group. Or the concentration camps in the Holocaust!?
Original post by 0to100
Lol stereotypes are just wrong. I think "chavs" get prejudice worse from white people than blacks. Because to say such vicious things to blacks is racist, but to "chavs," "yobs" and "neds" it's like well you're white so it's not wrong. No it is. We've taken on generations of poverty and apparently discrimination beyond our control as well. But not everyone is just sat around. I know some shiftless "upper" class people as well.

Really the class system should be totally abolished but it's pretty damn entwined in our culture at this point. Living in a reasonably affluent area, I do feel uncomfortable sometimes when my friends make derogatory comments about people just because of the way they speak. Even if some people are idiots and smoke and stuff, you don't need to connect that to a social class you know.
Original post by 0to100
Wait what? Mate are you still "smashed?"

Give me a couple of hours and I will be :h:

NB: I don't drink nearly as much as I used to. I'm a lightweight by comparison :lol:

But you weren't all of the things on my list on a daily basis, were you? That's the "underclass".

Of course not. But does that matter? Aside from the obvious health concerns (which the individual is solely responsible for anyway), what's the difference between someone getting pissed every day and being a dick and someone getting pissed at the weekend and being a dick?

You have a very narrow, unnecessarily complicated, unwarranted, and flat-out wrong opinion of what the underclass is. There are plenty of people with jobs who willingly engage in activities outside of the law, who enjoy getting smashed, who do this, that, and the other, and they're totally "normal" (normal being subjective) people.

My point was, where do these people fit into your little scheme?
How you can you ship someone off to rehab when they've got a job to go to?
How can you segregate them without being oppressive?
What's your contingency plan for when this inevitably blows up in your face?
Original post by iEthan
"Underclass" is such a vile classification too. Have some respect for your fellow human. Dear god.

So is "offender".

What term would you prefer other than "underclass"?

NB: I don't drink nearly as much as I used to. I'm a lightweight by comparison :lol:

Of course not. But does that matter? Aside from the obvious health concerns (which the individual is solely responsible for anyway), what's the difference between someone getting pissed every day and being a dick and someone getting pissed at the weekend and being a dick?

You have a very narrow, unnecessarily complicated, unwarranted, and flat-out wrong opinion of what the underclass is. There are plenty of people with jobs who willingly engage in activities outside of the law, who enjoy getting smashed, who do this, that, and the other, and they're totally "normal" (normal being subjective) people.

Your 1st post worried me but this seems all right laddy :wink: I was just saying like...you said "these people don't need help" I mean that was kinda worded wrong.

So what would you classify as "underclass"?
Original post by 0to100
Your list is **** but again where are you going to send this "underclass" You'd have to reorganise everything, legislatively, as to who is a "chav" and for example, what schools to send them, which means phase out the current schools and send the current students elsewhere just so that the "chavs" can be "segregated" in their own place :rofl: that is so realistic! Did you think this through? ...And then you'd have to do the same to neighbourhoods, what area is reserved that can take in these relocated "chavs?"

It's like the Trail of Tears when the American colonialists made the Natives isolate in a certain part of the country, all in a group. Or the concentration camps in the Holocaust!?

The "underclass" would be sent to China to train under Pai Mei. They would then be returned to Britain.
Original post by 0to100
Your 1st post worried me but this seems all right laddy :wink: I was just saying like...you said "these people don't need help" I mean that was kinda worded wrong.

I had (and still do) have trouble working out what OP meant. S/he said "on alcohol/drugs". Well does that mean likes a few drinks and the occasional smoke, or full on 24/7 rat-arsed? I'd imagine the latter, but people (tee-totallers, etc) can be funny about these things and s/he worded it very vaguely.

Given that OP seems rather opinionated about this, it wouldn't surprise me at all if they thought that anyone who went anywhere near a pub was a terrible person who needed a short sharp shock.
I had (and still do) have trouble working out what OP meant. S/he said "on alcohol/drugs". Well does that mean likes a few drinks and the occasional smoke, or full on 24/7 rat-arsed? I'd imagine the latter, but people (tee-totallers, etc) can be funny about these things and s/he worded it very vaguely.

Given that OP seems rather opinionated about this, it wouldn't surprise me at all if they thought that anyone who went anywhere near a pub was a terrible person who needed a short sharp shock.

Pubs should only be allowed to serve green tea.
So what would you classify as "underclass"?

Someone who is unemployed. That's it. No other social connotations needed. They're not working, therefore they are outside of a class system based upon what job you do.

That being said, "underclass" makes it seem as though these people are worth less compared to those who do work, which is wrong for many reasons. Then again, "outsideclass" doesn't have the same ring to it.
Someone who is unemployed. That's it. No other social connotations needed. They're not working, therefore they are outside of a class system based upon what job you do.

Interesting definition. Is a duke without an actual job a part of the underclass? What about someone who has inherited millions and doesn't work?
Pubs should only be allowed to serve green tea.

Which would drive more people into the supermarkets to buy cheaper booze en-mass, thus potentially effectively creating a new generation of alcoholics.

You're pretty bad at this dude. You've now got to spend more taxpayers money on segregating a whole other group of people who previously didn't need segregating. Where are you getting all this money from?
From the various threads on here I can extrapolate that wealthier people generally loathe giving money to aid the poor, so I can't imagine that the middle classes would be too pleased about additional taxes. You might get the odd sympathetic ear, but I wouldn't get your hopes up too much.
You've just moved a large portion of the working class into the supermarkets, a percentage of which now need to be segregated. They can't pay for it anyway because they're too busy trying to feed their family.
Wouldn't even bother asking the upper class, you'll get laughed out of the Cotswolds.

Your only option now, pretty much, is to cause another recession by borrowing an obscene amount of money.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending