The Student Room Group

OCR Latin GCSE Official Thread 2016

Scroll to see replies

Yeah the translations vary a lot depending on where you get them from-sometimes the board insists on an 'and' being translated for example and sometimes not. I suspect you'll lose a mark either way as it's not entirely based on how many errors, I think you can make 2 or 3 major errors for 4/5, and one minor error for 4/5. At least it wasn't that subjective a passage to translate; there are a lot more weird translations during the Aeneid.
Original post by Jesusismyhigh
Yeah the translations vary a lot depending on where you get them from-sometimes the board insists on an 'and' being translated for example and sometimes not. I suspect you'll lose a mark either way as it's not entirely based on how many errors, I think you can make 2 or 3 major errors for 4/5, and one minor error for 4/5. At least it wasn't that subjective a passage to translate; there are a lot more weird translations during the Aeneid.

I do classical greek and they chose the worst and most subjective passage in it - which is NOT nice! :frown:
So do I; did you do Herodotus, and you're talking about that 10 marker, or the 'he himself too had fared in the same way as the footbath etc.' translation?
Oh @ the Nisus and Euryalus people, there was a question asking 'to whom Nisus was speaking to before the passage' - I thought it was incredibly cruel of them to be questioning us on something which you couldn't physically see on the paper! But what did everyone put? I put the goddess Diana but idek if it's right because I can't remember what the passage on the paper was :'D
Original post by gcsemusicsucks
Oh @ the Nisus and Euryalus people, there was a question asking 'to whom Nisus was speaking to before the passage' - I thought it was incredibly cruel of them to be questioning us on something which you couldn't physically see on the paper! But what did everyone put? I put the goddess Diana but idek if it's right because I can't remember what the passage on the paper was :'D

It is Diana, but it doesn't say that in any of the passages (but I'm sure you will be OK!) I think I put Hunting goddess or something. Do you think I would get the mark? Apart from the 8 and 10 marker, I hated that paper, the questions were either badly worded, or just confusing like that one.

Yeah that's right it is Diana! I put Diana, child of Latona (that's what it says in the Latin) but as you say unfair given it wasn't actually in the question paper!

Original post by 14Abbott
Apart from the 8 and 10 marker, I hated that paper, the questions were either badly worded, or just confusing like that one.

the questions were worded sooooo badly!!! I hope I did okay though but I didn't understand the questions for half of them whether they wanted translation or style, you know?!
Original post by Jesusismyhigh
So do I; did you do Herodotus, and you're talking about that 10 marker, or the 'he himself too had fared in the same way as the footbath etc.' translation?

Exactly, a horribly subjective passage. My translation was:
So, he went on to say, he had done with himself as with the foot bath and if previously he was a commoner, nevertheless at the present time he was their king and he ordered them to honour him and show respect for him.
Original post by fuzz13
Yeah that's right it is Diana! I put Diana, child of Latona (that's what it says in the Latin) but as you say unfair given it wasn't actually in the question paper!

the questions were worded sooooo badly!!! I hope I did okay though but I didn't understand the questions for half of them whether they wanted translation or style, you know?!

They only want style when they ask "How does Virgil...?". When they ask basic comprehension questions they just want basic translation and interpretation.
It was indeed Diana (goddess of the hunt, archery), Daughter of Latona (Lato). Also know as Artemis in Greek mythology.
Original post by Martins1
They only want style when they ask "How does Virgil...?". When they ask basic comprehension questions they just want basic translation and interpretation.
It was indeed Diana (goddess of the hunt, archery), Daughter of Latona (Lato). Also know as Artemis in Greek mythology.

What would I get for hunting goddess?
Exactly, a horribly subjective passage. My translation was:
So, he went on to say, he had done with himself as with the foot bath and if previously he was a commoner, nevertheless at the present time he was their king and he ordered them to honour him and show respect for him.

Mine was: Therefore/and so already, he went on to say that he himself too had fared in the same way(the OUTWS word) as the footbath. For even(not in the text) if he was formerly a commoner, nevertheless he was their King now, and he ordered them to both honour and show respect for him.
Reply 310

What would i get if i put Latona, daughter of leto
I do classical greek and they chose the worst and most subjective passage in it - which is NOT nice! :frown:

If I'm honest, Classical Greek does NOT look nice at all anyway!

Then again...my amazing previous Classics teacher- Mr Warwick-Smith- managed to teach us the complete Greek alphabet and some pretty complex Greek grammar in one lesson!
Original post by igggy
What would i get if i put Latona, daughter of leto

I put daughter of Latona, but I don't think you'd get marked for saying something about her being the daughter of Leto; depends on how strict the examiners are being with the marking of variations of names...

Thats what I put too, I thought it was after the prayer right?
Original post by TeenPolyglot
If I'm honest, Classical Greek does NOT look nice at all anyway!

Then again...my amazing previous Classics teacher- Mr Warwick-Smith- managed to teach us the complete Greek alphabet and some pretty complex Greek grammar in one lesson!

I did entry level greek last month- that was hard enough for me. But I think I would have done it as a GCSE if my school offered it.
Original post by niv1234
I did entry level greek last month- that was hard enough for me. But I think I would have done it as a GCSE if my school offered it.

Έλληνες σίγουρα δεν είναι εύκολο...
I have a question, is everybody happy or sad that GCSE Latin is over? I can't decide...
Έλληνες σίγουρα δεν είναι εύκολο...

I can read that but I have no clue what it says. Translation please?
Original post by niv1234
I can read that but I have no clue what it says. Translation please?

"Greek certainly isn't easy"...from the beautiful Google Translate.

So it probably says "Greek dogs eat you" or something...
"Greek certainly isn't easy"...from the beautiful Google Translate.

So it probably says "Greek dogs eat you" or something...

That really made me laugh. The exam was also by OCR but it was really easy as it was just the entry level. I just had to learn some vocab and grammar it was probably at the level I was at in Latin in year 8 or 9.

Quick Reply

Latest