The Student Room Group

Edexcel Official Chemistry Paper1:Core Inorganic and Physical Chemistry - 27th of May

Scroll to see replies

Also for the Ba / Sr one I completely bulsh*tted. Does anyone know what they were actually looking for?
(I said they form ionic compounds when the react with water so will form Ba2+ and Sr2+ ions, and that the sum of the first and second ionisation energies are the energy needed to make these ions, and as Sr has a higher first and second ionisation energy it needs more energy to react so reaction is slower. That's all completely made up though - I have no idea at all)
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by richpanda
Anyone else get 100.548 g dm^-3? I got it and several other people who I know are very good at chemistry did.

I dont want to brag but I'm pretty solid at titrations. So 100.548 anyone?

Yep, I got 100.1 so close-ish. I think people got 10 as they didn't multiply the moles by 10 to show the no. of moles in 250cm3, which obviously gives an answer 10 times smaller. I did the same thing before i checked it just before the end!
Original post by loveire&song
Also for the Ba / Sr one I completely bulsh*tted. Does anyone know what they were actually looking for?
(I said they form ionic compounds when the react with water so will form Ba2+ and Sr2+ ions, and that the sum of the form and second ionisation energies are the energy needed to make these ions, and as Sr has a higher first and second ionisation energy it needs more energy to react so reaction is slower. That's all completely made up though - I have no idea at all)

I said something very similiar. But i qualified it and addressed the discuss portion of the question by saying there's no direct comparison because ionistation energies are for elements in the gas phase and this is a reaction involving liquids and dissolving/hydration.
Original post by Maxomuss
Yep, I got 100.1 so close-ish. I think people got 10 as they didn't multiply the moles by 10 to show the no. of moles in 250cm3, which obviously gives an answer 10 times smaller. I did the same thing before i checked it just before the end!

Yes!

Original post by SolomonP
I said something very similiar. But i qualified it and addressed the discuss portion of the question by saying there's no direct comparison because ionistation energies are for elements in the gas phase and this is a reaction involving liquids and dissolving/hydration.

Yes but it still is a comparison. An element being in a gas phase doesn't affect how strongly it attracts its outer electrons, it's just done for standardisation of results.

I don't know why people are getting so pent up over this question. It was a discuss question that wasn't very specific, the markscheme will allow several routes of discussion
Yes but it still is a comparison. An element being in a gas phase doesn't affect how strongly it attracts its outer electrons, it's just done for standardisation of results.

Thank you! I did think about the fact that they weren't in gaseous states, but figured it wouldn't affect it.

I'm only so bothered about what I get in this paper because I'm in year 13 doing maths, further & physics at A2, and additional further at AS (picked up chemistry for fun / ucas application purposes) and paper 2 is right in the middle of my A2 exams so I doubt I'll revise as much for it.
Original post by loveire&song
Thank you! I did think about the fact that they weren't in gaseous states, but figured it wouldn't affect it.

I'm only so bothered about what I get in this paper because I'm in year 13 doing maths, further & physics at A2, and additional further at AS (picked up chemistry for fun / ucas application purposes) and paper 2 is right in the middle of my A2 exams so I doubt I'll revise as much for it.

Ah nice, that's interesting.

To anyone now worrying that they wrote that they are not in the gaseous state- don't. There are so many arguments that will be allowed.
For 5 minutes I forgot how to balance equations (which has never happened to me before). Thank god in the last 3 minutes I was able to balance it to become: S8 + 8AgF2 ----> 4S2F2 + 8AgF and answer the rest of the questions, had to rush but gained around 5 marks at the end. That paper was actually awesome I was expecting much worse! The only issue I had with this paper was time thats it, other than that im very pleased, Anyone found a mark scheme or something?
Yes!

I don't know why people are getting so pent up over this question. It was a discuss question that wasn't very specific, the markscheme will allow several routes of discussion

Fair point!
Original post by unhealthynomad
Could you please upload those papers if you can?

i thought it was barium and Sr

it was Ba and St right? and Ba reacts quicker? someone told me it was about Be!?!?!
Original post by clairebear101
it was Ba and St right? and Ba reacts quicker? someone told me it was about Be!?!?!

From what I remember it was Sr and Ba, EDIT which is what you mean, so yea dw
From what I remember it was Sr and Ba, EDIT which is what you mean, so yea dw

thank you! although it was an okay exam u dont think the grade boundaires will be higher than 80% for an A right? ( old style grade buondaies) cuz i messed up 2 other Q's by not reading em :frown:
I got 100.548 too!
Anyone else get 100.548 g dm^-3? I got it and several other people who I know are very good at chemistry did.

I dont want to brag but I'm pretty solid at titrations. So 100.548 anyone?
What did people get for the relative atomic mass of lithium?
Original post by Cryptokyo
What did people get for the relative atomic mass of lithium?

Like 6.9045 or something? Left it as 4dp as the other ones were
Reply 155
Does anyone know if there's an unofficial mark scheme yet?
I got 6.9102 gmol-1. If I remember correctly the numbers were as follows. In a 5.000g sample of Li. There was 0.460g of Li-6 of mass 6.015 and 4.540g of Li-7 of mass 7.016. Find RAM of Li. Can someone do the working off of these numbers?
Original post by clairebear101
Like 6.9045 or something? Left it as 4dp as the other ones were
Yea I got something like 6.9xxx
Original post by Cryptokyo
I got 6.9102 gmol-1. If I remember correctly the numbers were as follows. In a 5.000g sample of Li. There was 0.460g of Li-6 of mass 6.015 and 4.540g of Li-7 of mass 7.016. Find RAM of Li. Can someone do the working off of these numbers?

Yeah got that but forgot to say gmol-1 cuz didn't it say work out the Mr not the molar mass?
I got 6.9 something too. You wouldn't lose marks for not putting units, but you would lose some perhaps for too many decimal places (they were only given to 3, not 4) @clairebear101

Quick Reply

Latest