The Student Room Group

What would you do with £10,000?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Start a company. Become an entrepreneur.
Buy a macbook, then put in the bank for uni.
Spend it :biggrin:
I'm not familiar with pounds, but in America 10,000 pounds is a little over $14,000 :smile: With that money I'd buy a condo and rent it out to others, that way i make even more money, buy my car i've been saving up for. And lastly I'd treat my mom to a wonderful vacation - she totally deserves it more than anyone.
Original post by homeland.lsw
10 grand...:erm:

Not too sure. The expenses some people have mentioned don't apply to my situation...so I'd probably put it in the bank for a rainy day? :yep:

If you do get £10000, do not put it in a bank. Banks literally give you such a crap amount of interest of around 3-5% at best. Invest it into an aggressive medium-high risk portfolio and you'll earn 15% plus per annum. Not to mention that you can compound and get higher returns.

Putting money in a saving account is the biggest waste of capital- people should never aim to store more than 10% of savings as cash.
(edited 7 years ago)
At this moment, nothing. I would just save it.
Original post by Trapz99
If you do get £10000, do not put it in a bank. Banks literally give you such a crap amount of interest of around 3-5% at best. Invest it into an aggressive medium-high risk portfolio and you'll earn 15% plus per annum. Not to mention that you can compound and get higher returns.

Putting money in a saving account is the biggest waste of capital- people should never aim to store more than 10% of savings as cash.

Meh...seems a bit risky :mmm:

Who said I was putting it in a British Bank?
Buy a laptop
Buy headpones for laptop
Learn how to drive
Buy car
Struggle with paying insurance due to tight funds unless i ask to be in my mums insurance too!!!
Meh...seems a bit risky :mmm:

Who said I was putting it in a British Bank?

Which bank are you going to put it in which will offer you a return above 15% per annum? It is better to invest it, especailly in a tax-free stocks and shares ISA.
Original post by Mr Smurf
At this moment, nothing. I would just save it.

Invest it instead!
Original post by Trapz99
Which bank are you going to put it in which will offer you a return above 15% per annum? It is better to invest it, especailly in a tax-free stocks and shares ISA.

Iranian banks offer 22% interest :yep:
save 8000 for UNI and spend 2000 on presents for my mum and myself
Iranian banks offer 22% interest :yep:

Firstly, Iran's inflation rate is at 8.3%, so you will not be earning much anyway. Secondly, the reason why the interest rate is so high is because no one wants to put their capital into Iranian rials because the currency's value is very volatile and affected heavily by the oil price, which is falling. The rial's value is likely to fall against the pound, so when you convert your money back into pounds, you might get a lower amount than what you put in. Not to mention how difficult it is to pour money into Iran in the first place and getting it out is notoriously difficult to.

You're better off investing into a mix of funds and bonds.
Original post by Trapz99
x

Or I could buy £10000 99p McFlurries and donate the rest to charity? :tongue:

Spoiler

Reply 74
Buy a decent used car and insure it. Most probably save the rest for uni.
Buy a small and maintainable, fuel efficient car with not too much millage; buy a new computer;ahhh... and get a driver's license - that would make more logical sense.
buy every cat there is, buy a house, use rest of money to look after cats in said house
Return to the US to meet someone :smile:
Original post by Irrumabo
I would give £1000 of it to OP so he can buy his momma a house
Then i'd give £4000 so you can buy your whole family houses
Then i'd give £2000 so you can put this money in your savings account.
Then i'd give £3000 so you can spend some money for no reason.

Lold. I got the DJ Khaled reference
I would buy @iEthan ALL OF THE CATZ.

Quick Reply

Latest