The Student Room Group

Re=talking A levels, what should i do ?

Hey, so i basically have to re start my year 12 and i don't know what to pick. My current combinations in mind are :

Maths, Geography and Psychology
reason i'm sceptical: becasue i haven't done maths for a year ! Will i be able to catch up ? i haven't ever take geography, not even at GCSE, will i be able to handle it ?

Biology, Geography and Psychology
reason i'm sceptical: Same as maths, i haven't don't it for a year, will i be able to catch up ?

Psychology, Maths and Business studies
reasons for being sceptical : maths is the same, but business studies,isn't regarded as a respected subject and like maths i haven't done it for a year.

I dont want any replies that say "speak to your teacher" if course i have, and they've said the same things "pick subjects you have a passion for", tbh A levels are not necessarily subjects to be passionate about. All suggestions and advise regarding what the subject is like, how did you find the jump, would it be wise starting them and the content would be appreciated , especially those that have taken the subjects i've listed, if you think i should do another set of subjects feel free to mention them.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by iJack101
Hey, so i basically have to re start my year 12 and i don't know what to pick. My current combinations in mind are :

Maths, Geography and Psychology
reason i'm sceptical: becasue i haven't done maths for a year ! Will i be able to catch up ? i haven't ever take geography, not even at GCSE, will i be able to handle it ?

Biology, Geography and Psychology
reason i'm sceptical: Same as maths, i haven't don't it for a year, will i be able to catch up ?

Psychology, Maths and Business studies
reasons for being sceptical : maths is the same, but business studies,isn't regarded as a respected subject and like maths i haven't done it for a year.

I dont want any replies that say "speak to your teacher" if course i have, and they've said the same things "pick subjects you have a passion for", tbh A levels are not necessarily subjects to be passionate about. All suggestions and advise regarding what the subject is like, how did you find the jump, would it be wise starting them and the content would be appreciated , especially those that have taken the subjects i've listed, if you think i should do another set of subjects feel free to mention them.

I had to re-do year 12 too. Fortunately I passed the second time and am now in year 13 so retaking is definitely worth it! Geography (and Psychology) are not compulsory subjects at GCSE so it will be taught as if you have no knowledge of it. I'm sure you will be able to catch up if you take Maths, I can't remember having to use GCSE too much apart from the basics though I'd advise to look up algebra if you're going to take it because there is an awful lot of it.

I would say that it is worth taking subjects you're passionate about because they are far easier to learn and it is extremely difficult to study for exams for subjects that you have no interest for. I learnt that the hard way - now I'm taking subjects I genuinely enjoy.

Out of the subjects you have given, however, I would say that the best combination is Maths, Biology and Psychology. I took them together in my first attempt of year 12 and though I didn't like 2/3 they did go extremely well together.

However if you like Business Studies or Geography more than one of those then replace it. I take Psychology, Sociology and Film and still got offers from Cardiff and Birmingham. I'd also looks at university courses if you have your eye on any to see if there are any required/preferred subjects.

Hope this helps! :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest