The Student Room Group

C4 Integration

Hello again TSR,
I came across this method of a integration.

If youve not seen it, it is basically another form of integration by parts, but it is a lot quicker to do if you have something like exxndx \int e^{x} x^{n} dx and as n gets larger, integration by parts gets pretty boring and long to do.

Granted that n wont be anything above 3 or 4 in C4, I was wondering if I could use this instead of by parts?

Thanks,
P____P
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by P____P
Hello again TSR,
I came across this method of a integration.

If youve not seen it, it is basically another form of integration by parts, but it is a lot quicker to do if you have something like exxndx \int e^{x} x^{n} dx and as n gets larger, integration by parts gets pretty boring and long to do.

Granted that n wont be anything above 3 or 4 in C4, I was wondering if I could use this instead of by parts?

Thanks,
P____P

You could use it. It's not any different to IBP. That said, I can't see it being espcially useful in C4 and higher up, reduction formulae are much more useful.
Reply 2
Original post by Zacken
You could use it. It's not any different to IBP. That said, I can't see it being espcially useful in C4 and higher up, reduction formulae are much more useful.

Spoiler

I won't lose any 'M' marks, would I?
Yes, it works well. It is exactly integration by parts, just expressed in a tabular form.

Quick Reply

Latest