The Student Room Group

why do people think this about veganism?

that veganism is 'hard' or 'too expensive' or 'too time consuming'

it baffles me..i want to know why people think this?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Justmoll28

is veganism = vegetarian?
Reply 2
Original post by M14B

nope: Vegans, in addition to being vegetarian, do not use other animal products and by-products such as eggs, dairy products, honey, leather, fur, silk, wool, cosmetics, and soaps derived from animal products.
Original post by M14B

Vegan.. were you joking?

I can understand vegetarians, but vegans are just weirdos tbh.
Reply 4
Original post by Kittyboy
Vegan.. were you joking?

I can understand vegetarians, but vegans are just weirdos tbh.

why do you think they are weird? :smile:
I am a vegetarian. I don't think any of those things about vegans I find their self control and love for animals very impressive. I don't think I could ever be vegan though, I eat too many dairy products.
I just feel dearly sorry for them.
why do you think they are weird? :smile:

I just don't see what's so unethical about using animal byproducts.
They can do what they like to be honest, their bodies their choice.

I do get pissy when I hear of vegans who are feeding their cats a vegan diet though...just no.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by niv1234
I am a vegetarian. I don't think any of those things about vegans I find their self control and love for animals very impressive. I don't think I could ever be vegan though, I eat too many dairy products.

theres literally an alternative to every dairy product though haha :smile:
Original post by HamzahPatel
I just feel dearly sorry for them.

why?
Having tried almond milk recently, I have to concede that veganism totally defeats me. I'll stick with vegetarianism thanks. I try to buy organic, rather than battery farm and free range eggs. I suffer enough.
theres literally an alternative to every dairy product though haha :smile:

Maybe but I put milk into pretty much everything I eat. I don't eat eggs or meat though.
why?

humans are omnivores

veganism is not the great altruistic gesuture it;s made out to me

veganism shows many signs of being a cult

veganism is closely associated with terrorism
Original post by Kittyboy
I just don't see what's so unethical about using animal byproducts.

I didn't either a few years ago. But what do you think they do with cows that stop producing milk, or male chicks that can't lay eggs?
I may have an allergy to dairy so have been having soya milk in my tea recently and idk it's just not the same but I respect the decision for people to choose these alternatives, lot of people don't realise that cows still get bad treatment in order to make milk, for example industrialised farming. :frown: And often are used for meat just not eaten by us on that day so being vegan isn't crazy or anything. People just don't get it.
Reply 16

I tried to go vegan and I failed saying the 3 points you made, that it was "too expensive", "too time consuming" and "hard".

It was too expensive because I was buying organic food which is more expensive than just regular food, due to the fact that regular food could contain pesticides etc. Yes i could've just brought the regular stuff but I wanted to go hardcore vegan.

It was too time consuming because finding food which is suitable for vegans is quite hard, well it was hard in the sense that I had to go out of my way and read labels and check that it was vegan 'safe' instead of just picking it up and being like 'yeah sure this'll do'.

It was really hard even though I transitioned from eating meat regularly to vegetarian then to veganism, because going straight from eating meat to vegan would be ridiculous. Its hard because your body isn't used to just eating vegetables, meaning you get cravings for things and it's really hard to not be able to eat things you once loved like ice cream, chocolate or pizza. Yes, there are vegan alternatives but it's just more money and trying to find vegan alternatives at your local supermarket is limiting because most only have a very small selection.

And lets not get into trying to order food at restaurants.

Because it is? Vegetarian is one thing, but removing all animal products from the diet and finding alternatives is difficult. Not something you can easily do on a whim. I know I couldn't do it.

Vegans, in addition to being vegetarian, do not use other animal products and by-products such as eggs, dairy products, honey, leather, fur, silk, wool, cosmetics, and soaps derived from animal products.
Because it is expensive ,$ 15.00 for cherries?
Original post by RF_PineMarten
Because it is? Vegetarian is one thing, but removing all animal products from the diet and finding alternatives is difficult. Not something you can easily do on a whim. I know I couldn't do it.

Especially for some people who have a bunch of food intolerances.

One of my housemates was really unfortunate in his health lottery, he is intolerant to so many food groups. Including soy which is found in many vegan alternatives. Going shopping for him is a bit of a nightmare he has to check the ingredients of everything along with where they were made (as some of his intolerances are very sensitive) and 9/10 anything he picks up will have at least one of the food types in it.

The safest foods for him that he can continuously eat without having to worry about whether he is getting enough calories and nutrition and not getting ill is meat, potatoes and fruit.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending