The Student Room Group

Exams are unfair.

I find it completely unfair that universities will judge/accept on you on the basis that you do well in end of year exams. I feel like being accepted into uni should be based partially on the final exam but grades thought the year should be taken into account also, because say you've been getting A's in class throughout the whole year but when you take the exam you completely **** up and get an E. The E is what they're going to see and you won't be accepted due to the fact you didn't get an A when you're clearly capable of achieving one.
Reply 1
Life is unfair
Reply 2
Life in unfair. Deal with it.

Prepare and you will do well.
Reply 3
Original post by SGHD26716
Life is unfair

Indeed it is.
I was going to say 'life is unfair' but people beat me to it. Oh well.

Life is unfair.
Reply 5
Life is unfair...
Although I agree to some extent, there has to be a way of separating the ability of students - the best way is a test. To go from an A to an E is a catastrophe and I doubt anyone who legitimately got A's all year would get any lower than a C, even if they had a bad day (ok maybe not on a really bad day but yknow)
Original post by lummzie
I find it completely unfair that universities will judge/accept on you on the basis that you do well in end of year exams. I feel like being accepted into uni should be based partially on the final exam but grades thought the year should be taken into account also, because say you've been getting A's in class throughout the whole year but when you take the exam you completely **** up and get an E. The E is what they're going to see and you won't be accepted due to the fact you didn't get an A when you're clearly capable of achieving one.

If you really knew the content inside out and we're getting As in the mocks etc. then you would also get an A in the exam. There are no bad exams, only bad students.
We all know that the entire education system is unfair but the government will not listen to us because apparently we are not the future of the country so there really is no point posting on a student forum like this to be honest :frown:
Original post by lummzie

haha that's basically me in this yeras aqa physics unit 2
wtf was that

I did june 2015 mock and only answered 4 out of the 6 big questions and got a B and here I may not get higher than 12 marks, well that went great

I might get 45+ marks in bio and chem but this physics paper finished me off :/
Original post by Yayvillee
If you really knew the content inside out and we're getting As in the mocks etc. then you would also get an A in the exam. There are no bad exams, only bad students.

Nah mate the physics unit 2 exam for aqa was bad and I messed up so bad

I don't even know if I'll get higher than 12 marks on it, which may not even be a D, where I did the june 2015 paper as practice in exam conditions in school exam hall and only answered 4 out of the 6 big questions (run out of time - fixed my time management now) and got a B - here I may not even get a B.

This is disappointing as I feel I can get 45+ or 50 marks on chemistry and biology but this years physics exam was so bad and i may not get higher than 12 marks literally lol.
Original post by lummzie

what a weak point to make
Original post by emiloujess
We all know that the entire education system is unfair but the government will not listen to us because apparently we are not the future of the country so there really is no point posting on a student forum like this to be honest :frown:

and how and why is it unfair?
Original post by lummzie

yeh but everyone is in the same boat and if you do **** up you can always retake it and likelihood is you will do better.
the issue is that exams mean everyone is judged on the same set of questions, and if we were to start judging students by in class tests then a teacher could set an easy test and you could get an A but another student in another school may be given a really hard test and they do bad so really that would be even more unfair :/
Original post by Yayvillee

I would disagree about your comment about no bad exams. If a student got an A* in one exam and a C in another then I'm pretty sure you could say they had a ' bad' exam but they're clearly a good student ?
no they aren't. everyone in schools gets to sit exams for free and they get marked equally. they give universities and employees an estimation of your intellectual ability.
Life is fair because its unfair to everyone

Quick Reply

Latest