The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
Hello I've just completed my first year at university and I was wondering whether I would be eligible for Jobseeker's allowance or Universal Credit. I finished my exams on 20 May and I don't return to university until late September. Since I am free for 4 months I thought I might as well be on Jobseeker's allowance or Universal Credit whilst looking for a part-time job.

No you aren't eligible (unless you happen to be disabled or a single parent), your loan is meant to last all year rather than just the academic year.
Reply 2
Original post by claireestelle
No you aren't eligible (unless you happen to be disabled or a single parent), your loan is meant to last all year rather than just the academic year.

Could you provide a link for evidence?
Could you provide a link for evidence?

sure, gov.uk say you can't claim if you're classed as in full time education until the date at which you are considered to have finished your course
https://www.gov.uk/jobseekers-allowance/eligibility
Reply 4
Original post by claireestelle
sure, gov.uk say you can't claim if you're classed as in full time education until the date at which you are considered to have finished your course
https://www.gov.uk/jobseekers-allowance/eligibility

Thanks....anyone else?
Wow...
Reply 6
Original post by Unihopper
Wow...

What's wrong?
Nah it won't work especially not for UC, as you're a fulltime student...student finance/sfa has you sorted financially you have to do your best. JSA or UC won't cover you, it's for unemployed after a certain period of time. You just won't qualify lol soz. :\
Original post by Arsey2.0
benefit scrounger! You disgraceful lowlife scum

Alrite mate calm down. Not necessary.
Reply 9
Original post by 0to100
Alrite mate calm down. Not necessary.

Slippery slope

Please do not start claiming benefits, it's harmful to society
Slippery slope

No its not.
Slippery slope

She's just tryna figure out (I feel op is a she lol) what she can do that's all...
What's wrong?

It used to be allowed, back when the tuition fees were paid by government grant... now it is not. the current situation is exactly as described by claireestelle.
No its not.

Look at modern Britain and then tell me why we're failing at Education
Thanks....anyone else?

Why would you need anyone else? Claire is correct. A bit of googling would confirm that. Its a question asked on a regular basis.
Although this doesn't apply to me, you do realise some people don't have a choice?

Claim to have no choice. Yes there are a few thousand exceptions but this system is abused and rewards the wrong people at the expense of the right people
Original post by 999tigger
Why would you need anyone else? Claire is correct. A bit of googling would confirm that. Its a question asked on a regular basis.

Is it? lol It doesn't really even seem like common sense to ask it
Claim to have no choice. Yes there are a few thousand exceptions but this system is abused and rewards the wrong people at the expense of the right people

Oh for god's sake.
Although this doesn't apply to me, you do realise some people don't have a choice?

You had a choice, and you made poor decisions which you wish to blame others for. Individuals should be able to live their lives they way they want whilst not affecting others' basic rights. This is not morally apprehensible, it is iniquitous!
Original post by 0to100
Oh for god's sake.

We can both agree that we must have some responsibility to those who need it. But unfortunately, there is a culture of abusing the government because it's easy to make up reasons.

I agree with having the benefits system, but ours is largely inefficient and has been one of the biggest machines of poverty

Latest