The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Arsey2.0
Look at modern Britain and then tell me why we're failing at Education

Welfare isn't perfect but it has brought many good things to society. The rich have been very ignorant in the recent past and we can't just doom the working class for the rich people's greedy and selfish needs. We're failing at education due to the lack of emphasis on it. Education here has also been dumbed down since the 80's which the government is wholly responsible for.
Original post by 0to100
Is it? lol It doesn't really even seem like common sense to ask it

There is no harm in asking, but Claire is hardly likely to give an incorrect answer and a bit of initiative would verify the situation. If the key words were entered into the search box then numerous threads would appear on this subject.
No. You have to be job seeking as per terms & conditions

Posted from TSR Mobile
We can both agree that we must have some responsibility to those who need it. But unfortunately, there is a culture of abusing the government because it's easy to make up reasons.

I agree with having the benefits system, but ours is largely inefficient and has been one of the biggest machines of poverty

What do you mean inefficient? And how is that so, to you? The homelessness in this country depsite Clegg saying it wouldn't happen particularly with UC being introduced recently, caused by massive benefit cuts, would show that people actually do need benefits and in reality there isn't much being given out, and look what it leads to...Benefits is essentially a form of civil and human rights and it's what separates this country from the 3rd world.
Original post by SMEGGGY

Posted from TSR Mobile

yea this.

Original post by 999tigger
There is no harm in asking, but Claire is hardly likely to give an incorrect answer and a bit of initiative would verify the situation. If the key words were entered into the search box then numerous threads would appear on this subject.

Apparently there is harm, just look at Arsey2.0 go lol
Original post by Anonymous
Welfare isn't perfect but it has brought many good things to society. The rich have been very ignorant in the recent past and we can't just doom the working class for the rich people's greedy and selfish needs. We're failing at education due to the lack of emphasis on it. Education here has also been dumbed down since the 80's which the government is wholly responsible for.

Oh I forgot to discriminate against the rich for creating new industries, factories, jobs, goods and services which all add to the total level of welfare in the economy. Welfare isn't some fixed thing where individuals can hoard it. I don't think you understand Economics.

Excuse me but who isn't self-interested? You seem to be completely motivated by your self interest and greed. You want to demand that people give you money for not working. I.e they should work for you.

Is there any incentive to do well in school if we don't have any reason to be worried about failing GCSEs because we have a welfare society and can be paid generously for low skilled jobs. Look at China, why are their kids beating us at Math and education in general? Because they need to fend for their families because their governmernt don't pay for everything for them if they aren't successful. China is more productive and has had some of the most rapid development since the 80s
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by 0to100
What do you mean inefficient? And how is that so, to you? The homelessness in this country depsite Clegg saying it wouldn't happen particularly with UC being introduced recently, caused by massive benefit cuts, would show that people actually do need benefits and in reality there isn't much being given out, and look what it leads to...Benefits is essentially a form of civil and human rights and it's what separates this country from the 3rd world.

Look how much we spend on social protection:
Budget-2013-the-governmen-010.jpg
Original post by SMEGGGY

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thats completely meaningless. Claire has already pointed out why a student cannot claim JSA.

Ok that is meant to cover millions of citizens...so when you fraction that off a little bit gets doled out. Do you know people on benefits? I promise you there's no glamour to envy...

And ok then so what on that list do yuo feel deserves more attention than human beings being protected?...

Look at how much we borrow to sustain this, and where most of it goes. When the government makes cuts to try and stop borrowing so future generations have a country left, obviously they have to make cuts in the areas which are politically sensative and are not popular
Thats completely meaningless. Claire has already pointed out why a student cannot claim JSA.

But that's certainly a facet of it...
Oh I forgot to discriminate against the rich for creating new industries, factories, jobs, goods and services which all add to the total level of welfare in the economy. Welfare isn't some fixed thing where individuals can hoard it. I don't think you understand Economics.

Excuse me but who isn't self-interested?

Is there any incentive to do well in school if we don't have any reason to be worried about failing GCSEs because we have a welfare society and can be paid generously for low skilled jobs. Look at China, why are their kids beating us at Math and education in general? Because they need to fend for their families because their governmernt don't pay for everything for them if they aren't successful. China is more productive and has had some of the most rapid development since the 80s

Well if employers are going to neglect the country's citizens by refusing to employ them and instead give jobs to people from another part of the world who have nothing to do with this country then who's fault is that? Businesses don't seem to want to take an ethical responsibility in employing us citizens hence we get forced to live on benefits. A lot of people on benefits still try hard to get a job but they're are unable to find one because of the amount of competition in the job market.
"anyone else?" LOL as if evidence from the govt website, provided by @claireestelle, wasn't enough
Original post by 0to100
Ok that is meant to cover millions of citizens...so when you fraction that off a little bit gets doled out. Do you know people on benefits? I promise you there's no glamour to envy...

And ok then so what on that list do yuo feel deserves more attention than human beings being protected?...

It is desirable to have a country which guarantees a living income. This doesn't make any sense economically because that's not how money works. Someone else has to work to get the food, to supply the energy (and whatever the benefits are supposed to go towards, although we know they obviously don't get spent on the right things all the time). We owe £1.6 trillion wth can we sustain this?

TBF who would be bothered to work if somehow magic existed which gave us the resources to have everything for nothing. That's not how this country and its wealth is built. People build wealth through labour
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Breakingbank
"anyone else?" LOL as if evidence from the govt website, provided by @claireestelle, wasn't enough

Calm down.
Well if employers are going to neglect the country's citizens by refusing to employ them and instead give jobs to people from another part of the world who have nothing to do with this country then who's fault is that? Businesses don't seem to want to take an ethical responsibility in employing us citizens hence we get forced to live on benefits. A lot of people on benefits still try hard to get a job but they're are unable to find one because of the amount of competition in the job market.

If you're a business owner, and you're not focused on maximising profits, good luck staying CEO.

Minimum wage has meant that those disadvantaged who need jobs to gain the skills and move up on the ladder aren't going to be employed because the employer cannot make a profit and can hire a more productive resource for the same price. This is why minimum price increases have increased dd unemployment. This is a result of government failure. You take away the poor's ability to compete on wage prices. And they're the most disadvantaged in society and we have deprived them of their only tool to compete with low skills, wages. Globalisation is inevitable and it's not a bad thing to cooperate with other countries. Why should we discriminate against people from other countries willing to work the same amount for less pay (since their governments have not enforced an artificially high price)? We get cheaper goods and services, making us have higher standards of living? I
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by 0to100
But that's certainly a facet of it...

Claire gave an answer that was wholly sufficient.
The other poster added nothing. Feel free to explain.
Claire gave an answer that was wholly sufficient.
The other poster added nothing. Feel free to explain.

I'm not saying claire didn't have a sufficient answer but that doesn't mean bogart anyone who isn't as well versed.
Anyway ta.
Calm down.

Not really. he makes a good point.
Original post by 0to100
I'm not saying claire didn't have a sufficient answer but that doesn't mean bogart anyone who isn't as well versed.
Anyway ta.

Try writing in full sentences.

Latest

Trending

Trending