The Student Room Group

Arsey's solutions

Scroll to see replies

Original post by pc1dmn
I've been tutoring in Maths since around 2009 and I have found Arsey's model answers quite the most useful resource anywhere on the net. I give them to AQA and OCR tutees as well: here is how to set out an answer in Maths. I would hope that the answers can still be put up 12 months later. The examiners' answers are for the examiners, not for students, unlike Arsey's. (Self-aggrandisement! What a ridiculous comment.)

I have also taught myself S2 almost entirely via Arsey's answers: more succinct than the books.

Many thanks indeed to Arsey for his efforts.

Nice one - how did you first get into tutoring, if I may ask?
Original post by SeanFM

Can we still access Arsey's answers for previous years?
Original post by lordoftheties
Can we still access Arsey's answers for previous years?

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/search.php?do=finduser&u=384599&starteronly=1
Original post by cliverlong
I am not going to spare your blushes. TeeEm's papers on Madas Maths of increasing difficulty from paper A to paper Z are a great resource and freely available for students to access and use for study and revision.

Someone suggested teachers not be lazy and write their own mock exams. Seems attractive. Ever tried this? Do you know how quickly you can make a "doable" into into an "undoable" question if the numbers are inconsistent? The problems can be subtle. I remember an M2 question with an inclined plane that could be done using energy (the intended way) or a convoluted force argument. The force argument (although valid) ended up with a meaningless solution for reasons I can't quite remember. This is one reason questions look very similar year on year. "Debugging" a new question takes time and effort. Several times I have had a "bright idea" on how to "improve" a question which went down dark corners (typically complex numbers) to solve efficiently.

With all due respect my Maths teacher has always made up questions for us in our mocks or used extremely old books (in some cases) - he never uses past papers. Therefore, I assumed that it would be possible for other teachers to do the same. With that said, he does have a PhD so perhaps it is unreasonable for me to ask that of all teachers. I apologise.

I understand that in topics such as FP2 differential equations and some modules of mechanics you simply cannot throw in numbers randomly but I do understand that in those cases older books can be used.
Reply 225
Original post by SeanFM

I registered with several agencies and tutor websites, eg AStar Tuition, The Tutor Pages, Personal Tutors, First Tutors, Tutor Hunt, and waited. Nothing happened for quite a while but I now have as much as I wish to do.
Original post by Student403
Yep I live in the Middle East and we use the UK papers currently.

Actually as of next year, we are switching to IAL but the current Y13s are sitting the UK A level

do exams in the the middle east take place at the same time as UK
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Melon007
do exams in the the middle east take place at the same time as UK

Not sure

I would assume they coincide at some point during the exam to stop cheating
Original post by candol
I agree with Arsey that petitions are a waste of time. HOWEVER it is not clear to me why a different approach could not be taken. Teachers and Educators must surely recognise the benefits of this sort of website which encourages and promotes learning and education throughout the student body. Examination boards need to recognise that they too are part of the education process and should be encouraged to contribute with mark schemes, papers etc. I can see no reason why OFSTED either wouldn't (or couldn't) promote this message. Exam boards come across as being largely obstructive in this process, and surely more progressive thinking is called for

It's probably due to grade inflation they're making these measures. I think it's an attempt to reduce the number of A's and A*'s given out without making their exams any harder because they're currently the easiest and that's why they're so popular.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 229
candol

I agree with Arsey that petitions are a waste of time. HOWEVER it is not clear to me why a different approach could not be taken. Teachers and Educators must surely recognise the benefits of this sort of website which encourages and promotes learning and education throughout the student body. Examination boards need to recognise that they too are part of the education process and should be encouraged to contribute with mark schemes, papers etc. I can see no reason why OFSTED either wouldn't (or couldn't) promote this message. Exam boards come across as being largely obstructive in this process, and surely more progressive thinking is called for

Original post by ServantOfMorgoth
It's probably due to grade inflation they're making these measures. I think it's an attempt to reduce the number of A's and A*'s given out without making their exams any harder because they're currently the easiest and that's why they're so popular.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't understand where either of you are coming from?

(i) The exam board in question do provide Past Papers and mark schemes: [url="http://qualifications.pearson.com/en/support/support-topics/exams/past-papers.html?Qualification-Family=A-Level&Qualification-Subject=Mathematics%20(2008)&Status=Pearson-UK:Status%2FLive&Specification-Code=Pearson-UK[excludedFace]s-smilie[/excludedFace]pecification-Code%2F9371#step3"]http://qualifications.pearson.com/en/support/support-topics/exams/past-papers.html?Qualification-Family=A-Level&Qualification-Subject=Mathematics%20(2008)&Status=Pearson-UK:s-smilie:tatus%2FLive&Specification-Code=Pearson-UK:s-smilie:pecification-Code%2F9371#step3

(ii) If the exam board want's to reduce the number of A's or A*'s then they just need to alter the UMS conversion ...

Now don't get me wrong, I like the solutions that Arsey writes and can see that they are very useful indeed; but as far as I can see, the exam board have no issue with solutions been posted, So long as they do not include the solutions of the Examinations from the latest sitting ... In terms of revision, this will affect no-one, I am fairly sure that prior to the next cohort of students taking the Exams it will be fine to post solutions, in fact Edexcel themselves will host the papers and solutions prior to the next set of exams.
Not sure

I would assume they coincide at some point during the exam to stop cheating

What time do you take the exam local time?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by physicsmaths
What time do you take the exam local time?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Diff start times

For example AM papers could be 9, 10:45, 11, 11:15
Diff start times

For example AM papers could be 9, 10:45, 11, 11:15

Yeh impossible to cheat, well we could if you sent answers to us but you won't be able to get answers from UK students anyway.
Yeh impossible to cheat, well we could if you sent answers to us but you won't be able to get answers from UK students anyway.

That's reassuring
That's reassuring

LOL. Haha reassuring for us. All the internationals are too clever as it is.

Posted from TSR Mobile
LOL. Haha reassuring for us. All the internationals are too clever as it is.

Posted from TSR Mobile

to be fair you get some really stupid internationals just ask @Zacken or @Ayman!
Reply 236
Don't think it matters whether arsey does it or not, someone else will. Shutting down arsey is futile and for arsey to concede is even more futile
Reply 237
Original post by dpm
I don't understand where either of you are coming from?

(i) The exam board in question do provide Past Papers and mark schemes: [url="http://qualifications.pearson.com/en/support/support-topics/exams/past-papers.html?Qualification-Family=A-Level&Qualification-Subject=Mathematics%20(2008)&Status=Pearson-UK:Status%2FLive&Specification-Code=Pearson-UK[excludedFace]s-smilie[/excludedFace]pecification-Code%2F9371#step3"]http://qualifications.pearson.com/en/support/support-topics/exams/past-papers.html?Qualification-Family=A-Level&Qualification-Subject=Mathematics%20(2008)&Status=Pearson-UK:s-smilie:tatus%2FLive&Specification-Code=Pearson-UK:s-smilie:pecification-Code%2F9371#step3

(ii) If the exam board want's to reduce the number of A's or A*'s then they just need to alter the UMS conversion ...

Now don't get me wrong, I like the solutions that Arsey writes and can see that they are very useful indeed; but as far as I can see, the exam board have no issue with solutions been posted, So long as they do not include the solutions of the Examinations from the latest sitting ... In terms of revision, this will affect no-one, I am fairly sure that prior to the next cohort of students taking the Exams it will be fine to post solutions, in fact Edexcel themselves will host the papers and solutions prior to the next set of exams.

heres an example - a week before the add maths ocr exam the 2015 is not available to a regular person. seems unnecessary to be so unhelpful to me
Reply 238
Original post by candol
heres an example - a week before the add maths ocr exam the 2015 is not available to a regular person. seems unnecessary to be so unhelpful to me

There are 8 years worth of papers here: http://www.ocr.org.uk/qualifications/free-standing-maths-qualification-fsmq-additional-mathematics-6993/

and your teacher will have the 2015 copy ... ask him/ her?
So I won't be able to get my A Level Maths grade by the 24th of June?:biggrin: Hehe

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending