The Student Room Group

How much do you reveal on 1st date?

I'm a guy and I always feel like I reveal too much about myself on a first date.
That's not to say I'll sit there talking about myself for hours on end, quite the opposite, I'll only talk about myself when asked. But, I feel like I give away too much about myself, so much so, that there's nothing left to no about me when the date is finished.

Is this a bad thing? Does anyone else ever feel like this?
Only give a taster - VERY brief.
I personally don't think it's a bad thing. However,it depends what sort of things you reveal. If you say basics the it's fine but I'd never really go in depth on the first day. For instance,I wouldn't really reveal my surname or family situation or what happened in the past but would rather talk about what I'm doing now, and what I'm planning to do in the future. Hope that helps :smile:
Literally everything knowing me. Though I've only ever had one first date which I didn't realise was a date until earlier this year. It happened over 3 years ago. Yeah, I'm a bit slow - that's why I don't do dates. I prefer getting down to business straight away. :perv: I take the term "open book" to extremes. I'm more like "book lacking spine". I can't help but talk to people about my mental health issues, my lady parts, my back fat, my left boob being one cup smaller than my right when I first meet them. I'm doing it now. :colondollar:
Dates? As in the palms?

I don't really speak to my food.
Give away nothing, remain a mystery by being quiet and show your annoyance if they have flipping nothing planned. Then you are good to go.
Reply 6
It's a bit about marketing and a bit about being yourself. I agree with what someone above about present and future being a focus, rather than the past. But sharing a bit of your background is important too. Light hearted and witty and nothing heavy or angsty.
Reply 7
Original post by Vixen47
Literally everything knowing me. Though I've only ever had one first date which I didn't realise was a date until earlier this year. It happened over 3 years ago. Yeah, I'm a bit slow - that's why I don't do dates. I prefer getting down to business straight away. :perv: I take the term "open book" to extremes. I'm more like "book lacking spine". I can't help but talk to people about my mental health issues, my lady parts, my back fat, my left boob being one cup smaller than my right when I first meet them. I'm doing it now. :colondollar:

Did you get a 2nd date?
Original post by Zarek
It's a bit about marketing and a bit about being yourself. I agree with what someone above about present and future being a focus, rather than the past. But sharing a bit of your background is important too. Light hearted and witty and nothing heavy or angsty.

Our in house dating advisor :wink:
Reply 9
I speak in ellipses, aphorisms and ribald repartee; if I'm on-form, they'll know even less about me after the first date than they did prior.
Reply 10
[QUOTE=queen-bee;65257635]Our in house dating advisor :wink:My success at getting 1st dates is abysmally low, but a bit better at converting them in to reasonable relationships
Original post by Vixen47

:O
You shouldn't talk too much about yourself on a first date. You're meeting a stranger for the first time and it's a lot more interesting getting to know someone slowly over a period of time as opposed to having all their baggage thrown in your face in your first meeting.
(edited 7 years ago)
I think i divulge quite a bit in a 1st dates, I told my partner a fair bit about my past and family (would never drop the dead dad bomb until i've known someone a few weeks normally but everything else i think i'd consider sharing) although our first date ended up lasting a good few hours since we didnt stop talking, there's always things to learn about a person even when you've been together a while i think.
Reply 14
I go all the way - naked chicken dance.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending