The Student Room Group

I had my phone in my pocket during my exam?! Help?

Scroll to see replies

Sounds like you did the right thing. Not that doing the right thing is always necessarily the best thing to do, as it probably would have been best just to leave it if nobody noticed. But the fact that you voluntarily told the invigilators about it should put you in a good position. If someone really was using their phone to cheat, how likely would they be to tell the invigilators that they had it? Plus, I doubt they would wait to tell you if you were in trouble. If you were going to be disqualified from the exam I think they probably would have taken you out of the hall straight away.

It's a shame that it made you lose focus for the rest of your exam, but this one exam is only a small part of the qualification, so as long as you do well on the other exams you should be fine. Also, you never know - you may have done better than you think! You can learn from this mistake. You'll probably sit a lot more exams in the future, and from now on you'll be even more likely to remember to hand your phone in, or not take it into the exam at all.
Original post by TheCyanNinja
Sounds like you did the right thing. Not that doing the right thing is always necessarily the best thing to do, as it probably would have been best just to leave it if nobody noticed. But the fact that you voluntarily told the invigilators about it should put you in a good position. If someone really was using their phone to cheat, how likely would they be to tell the invigilators that they had it? Plus, I doubt they would wait to tell you if you were in trouble. If you were going to be disqualified from the exam I think they probably would have taken you out of the hall straight away.

It's a shame that it made you lose focus for the rest of your exam, but this one exam is only a small part of the qualification, so as long as you do well on the other exams you should be fine. Also, you never know - you may have done better than you think! You can learn from this mistake. You'll probably sit a lot more exams in the future, and from now on you'll be even more likely to remember to hand your phone in, or not take it into the exam at all.

thank you so so much!! I feel so much better now thank you!
Original post by noor.m
I honestly feel like such an idiot, today during my english lit exam I felt a vibration in my pocket and when I put my hand inside I realised that my phone was inside!
I got really worried so I immediately put my hand up and apologised to the examiner saying I didn't realise it was in my pocket, I saw the examiners talking at the front but they didn't say anything to me when they gave me my
phone back.
I'm really upset because instead of focusing on my lit exam I was too worried about getting penalised because of my phone and I can't get to sleep now because of it :frown:
I made so many mistakes in the exam,
I didn't write a conclusion, I rushed so many points and for the unseen poem I didn't write an equal amount for all the bullet points as I did with all my past papers :frown:

Ok, so your problem is your worried about getting a bad grade and your assuming you did badly because of nervousness? What I would do if I was you is speak to the appropriate people and explain the situation, they might give you the benefit of the doubt and let you retake it. However, if that is what you are going to do be as tactful and polite as possible and maybe just maybe they'll let you retake, just be calm about it.
Reply 23
I'm just wondering, because in our school, the invigilators let us check ourselves before the exam begins and make sure no one has anything in our pockets at all, do they not do that at your school? I'm just wondering haha. Don't worry though, if none of the invigilators saw you actually on your phone then they can't exactly say anything. It's happened in our school before so you will be fine! :smile:
Reply 24
We all know that saying '**** happens!' ...meh all you have to do is think how lucky you are this wasn't a uni exam where you would be looking at being banned. There will always be mistakes you do in life/exams so just see it as a learning curve, I also believe your over exaggerating your views on how you did in the exam... i'm sure you did well.
Original post by Ricki 1
I'm just wondering, because in our school, the invigilators let us check ourselves before the exam begins and make sure no one has anything in our pockets at all, do they not do that at your school? I'm just wondering haha. Don't worry though, if none of the invigilators saw you actually on your phone then they can't exactly say anything. It's happened in our school before so you will be fine! :smile:

the invigilators let us check ourselves too but because I always have my phone in my locker I kind of just assumed it was in there:colondollar: Also, I was waaaay too worried about the exam paper to worry about what the invigilators were saying tbh which is reason 2345566 as to why I'm an idiot:h:
try not to worry about it. use it as a learning curve. make sure you don't bring your phone into future exams - if needs be, you can always redo this English exam next year.

see what your grade is on results day and if you aren't happy - think about applying to do the exam again next year.

remember, it is only ONE exam.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by noor.m
firstly, I walk home so I need my phone in my pockets and also, my alarm in the morning is on my phone and I need it at full volume, but yeah it was my fault for being an idiot and
not checking my phone :colondollar:

ah oh well, i'm sure most of us have taken their phone with them into at least 1 exam ^-^
Reply 28
They would have told you at the time. If they were gonna do something theyd keep you back and sort it out then and there :smile: Dont worry about your grade - english is very difficult to be able to tell how well you did, so im sure you did just as good as usual :smile: and anyway, any grade is better than being disqualified
I doubt anything bad will happen to you especially because it is only GCSE level.

However the invigilator does technically have to fill in a malpractice form and the exam board has every right to refuse your script because of this.

HIGHLY unlikely that this will happen
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by CrazyFool229
I doubt anything bad will happen to you especially because it is only GCSE level.

However the invigilator does technically have to fill in a malpractice form and the exam board has every possibility of refusing to mark your script.

Really? How do u know this anyway, if u dont mind me asking?
Original post by x-bhakti-patel
Really? How do u know this anyway, if u dont mind me asking?

Hi there,

https://youtu.be/SvzzdKhkQoI?t=8m23s

Please refer to that video made by Cambridge International Examinations. The procedure is pretty standard across all boards. As you can see the guy is not removed from the exam hall and carries on.
Hi there,

https://youtu.be/SvzzdKhkQoI?t=8m23s

Please refer to that video made by Cambridge International Examinations. The procedure is pretty standard across all boards. As you can see the guy is not removed from the exam hall and carries on.

yes, I saw it I know understand, I dont realy know much about this procedure as it has never happened to anyone at my college, so...
yes, I saw it I know understand, I dont realy know much about this procedure as it has never happened to anyone at my college, so...

Like I said, I highly doubt the OP will be disqualified for something like this, especially because they were honest to the invigilator about it. However it is important to consider all possibilities
Reply 34
You are very fortunate. One of my classmates did the same thing as you and his case was reported to igcse. He got half the mark reduced for the entire paper.
Like I said, I highly doubt the OP will be disqualified for something like this, especially because they were honest to the invigilator about it. However it is important to consider all possibilities

ur absouletly right that they would not be disqualified if they are honest, and they would record their honesty as well, however if they had lied and gone through the whole exam and the examiner found out, they could be disqualified. This is what u were trying to say right?
ur absouletly right that they would not be disqualified if they are honest, and they would record their honesty as well, however if they had lied and gone through the whole exam and the examiner found out, they could be disqualified. This is what u were trying to say right?

Yeah, pretty much.
Well there's nothing you can do now, but at least from now on you'll always check your pockets before walking into the hall. Btw you're so lucky your phone was on silent because if the invigilators heard the ring, you would've been disqualified.
lol farts are funny because then people have to deal with it, they can't move
One for our resident exams officers:
@Compost @gdunne42 @Muttley79

Quick Reply

Latest