The Student Room Group

Regressive left

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/election-us-2016-36404323

The regressive left are at it again. Why do the left hate democracy?

Scroll to see replies

Because this isn't biased at all.

Moved to a more appropriate section.
Original post by iEthan
Because this isn't biased at all.

Moved to a more appropriate section.

How is this in anyway bias?
BBC are supposed to be totally unbias, if anything they're slightly left leaning
Original post by GwynLordOfCinder
How is this in anyway bias?
BBC are supposed to be totally unbias, if anything they're slightly left leaning

I meant the political affiliation of OP. Because those described in the article act against their political interest, they are accused of being regressive or 'democracy hating'. Whereas, the other side of the argument is the vile campaign which Trump is running. Not only to mention, that democracy gives them the right to protest should they wish to.

Regarding the bias of the BBC… I think they generally do a good job of being impartial, perhaps with a few slip-ups/inequalities here and there.
love freedom

hate the freedom of those who don't conform to their views

gg
Original post by iEthan
I meant the political affiliation of OP. Because those described in the article act against their political interest, they are accused of being regressive or 'democracy hating'. Whereas, the other side of the argument is the vile campaign which Trump is running. Not only to mention, that democracy gives them the right to protest should they wish to.

Regarding the bias of the BBC… I think they generally do a good job of being impartial, perhaps with a few slip-ups/inequalities here and there.

Trump isn't breaking the law, the protestors are. Attacking the police is not legal protesting.
I'm likely one of the people he wants to keep out and even I can see that.

Also are you suggesting we only ever post articles that we agree with? That we should never post anything that we disagree with? Should LGBT protestors never post any acts of violence agaisnt the LGBT community because they would be bias?
Or is this your own left wing bias talking againsy those on the right?
So many questions, so little time...
Original post by GwynLordOfCinder
Trump isn't breaking the law, the protestors are. Attacking the police is not legal protesting.
I'm likely one of the people he wants to keep out and even I can see that.

Also are you suggesting we only ever post articles that we agree with? That we should never post anything that we disagree with? Should LGBT protestors never post any acts of violence agaisnt the LGBT community because they would be bias?
Or is this your own left wing bias talking againsy those on the right?
So many questions, so little time...

I'm not suggesting that at all! I think it's important to debate, even if we disagree with the content at hand. I may be on the left, but debate is really important challenging issues are the best types of things to debate :yes:
*yawn*

Britain First said they will take 'direct action' against where Sadiq Khan 'lives, works [and] prays'. This is also action against an democratically elected official.

But we don't go around calling Britain First the epitome of the right do we?
Original post by iEthan

Difference is, as a democracy we promote freedom of speech. Whether you agree with Donald Trump's policies, he has the right to espouse them. And his supporters - who have voted for him to represent them in a democratic election - have the right to back him. You are more than welcome to consider him abhorrent, as his detractors do. You are more than welcome to protest against him. What you are not allowed to do, is try to censor Trump and his followers with a campaign of violence aimed at his rallies, which is what this is fast turning into. By all means disagree with him, but don't try to act as though these violent protests are somehow noble.

Ironically, these kind of protests do wonders for Trump's campaign. Every time his rallies are met with a violent, Democrat-led protest, it paints Trump as the moderate and his detractors as the extremists. It paints Trump as the arbitrator of democracy, compared to an opposition who is incapable of winning by democratic means and who is instead resorting to censorship. If the actual election is marred by such violent opposition to Trump, it could well be that which carries him into the White House.
Original post by Luke Kostanjsek
Difference is, as a democracy we promote freedom of speech. Whether you agree with Donald Trump's policies, he has the right to espouse them. And his supporters - who have voted for him to represent them in a democratic election - have the right to back him. You are more than welcome to consider him abhorrent, as his detractors do. You are more than welcome to protest against him. What you are not allowed to do, is try to censor Trump and his followers with a campaign of violence aimed at his rallies, which is what this is fast turning into. By all means disagree with him, but don't try to act as though these violent protests are somehow noble.

Ironically, these kind of protests do wonders for Trump's campaign. Every time his rallies are met with a violent, Democrat-led protest, it paints Trump as the moderate and his detractors as the extremists. It paints Trump as the arbitrator of democracy, compared to an opposition who is incapable of winning by democratic means and who is instead resorting to censorship. If the actual election is marred by such violent opposition to Trump, it could well be that which carries him into the White House.

I completely agree with you. Violent protest is never OK. They are not noble for resorting to violence at all.
Original post by iEthan

examples of this so called vile campaign iEthan?
Original post by BasicMistake

But we don't go around calling Britain First the epitome of the right do we?

Pretty sure most lefties do equate anything right of centre with EDL/Britain First.
Original post by The gains kinggg

Doesn't democracy mean allowing people to make their own minds up as to who they want to vote for, maybe taking part in debates, for example? And not backing out like a coward. :wink: As Mr Trump, the republican nominee has done.
Reply 14
How are these people being regressive? They are protesting against regressive policies from a regressive politician. Just because in doing so they step over the boundaries of the law doesn't make change that fact.

If a politician came on the scene in this country and suggested we start up the slave trade again, I doubt I'd be called regressive if I was arrested for unlwaful protesting.

The right to speak out against people we don't like is fundamental to democracy, it would be undemocratic if you nazis had your way and the protestors were shot and killed like they would have in non-democratic countries.
Original post by offhegoes
How are these people being regressive? They are protesting against regressive policies from a regressive politician. Just because in doing so they step over the boundaries of the law doesn't make change that fact.

If a politician came on the scene in this country and suggested we start up the slave trade again, I doubt I'd be called regressive if I was arrested for unlwaful protesting.

trump has done nothing wrong.
Reply 18
trump has done nothing wrong.

That is your opinion, not mine or theirs.
The left are always regressive. No left wing government improves the country

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending