The Student Room Group

Do you agree with the 'Fat Acceptance Movement'?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by alexhew1
I, personally believe that even though it is good to promote good attitudes towards ones body and being happy with ones body what ever shape or size it is. It is also a good idea to warn people of the risks of being overweight or considered obese.
This means that they shouldn't be targeted specifically for their weight but if deemed necessary they should have help and support from people instead of just telling them to 'Just eat healthy' because its not that easy...

What more help do people need? Every town and city has at least a couple of gyms, we all more or less have internet access to find information, nutritional information on packaging while not perfect has come a long way in the last 60 years or so.

Every day an obese person wakes up and decides not to do something about their weight, that is a conscious choice they are making for themselves. There is a health cost and a social cost. For some people the health cost is enough to inspire them to do something, for others the social cost. But by taking away the social cost I don't think we bring anyone closer to losing weight, nor by lying to them/enabling their lies.
Original post by george_c00per
I agree with the fact that bigger people shouldn't be discriminated against or publicly shamed personally for being overweight, and I also agree with the fact that people who are even slightly on the bigger side shouldn't be called "fat" or judged and made fun of. It's probably very horrible for their confidence and it's sometimes the reason why they become obese in the first place, as they eat to feel better, but that's obviously not the case.

I also think however that we shouldn't promote obesity as acceptable as it can be a problem and can cause many health concerns, but even still no one should say to an obese person to their face, especially if they're a stranger, that "you're fat and no one will find you attractive ever again". There are so many better ways around trying to improve their lifestyle and shaming them harshly isn't the best way around it.

Sorry if this sounds a bit hypocritical:redface:

tl;dr - don't be mean to fat people personally, especially people who aren't fat but just bigger but also don't let obesity become considered healthy

Don't fret, nothing you've written sounds remotely hypocritical :smile:

Most overweight folk are concious of their weight and the health risks linked to it, so I agree, we shouldn't be mean. I do think there should be more campaigns against obesity though.
Original post by loveleest
I said slightly overweight, learn to ****ing read.
If you want to make a post about me then direct me.

"Slightly overweight" just means the same as "Slightly depressed" or "Slightly anorexic" to me. You're on the verge of being overweight and with that comes the first signs of unhealthiness due to weight.
Original post by loveleest
But I never said "slightly obese" wtf?

I've answered your reply to the previous commenter...

"slightly obese" is a laughable thing to say.
Original post by Afro Tail
I don't think many people choose to be overweight, so it's discriminative to insult people based on their weight. I don't disagree with the Movement, but I don't think it's all that necessary.

You are what you eat.

In this case, if you eat too much, you'll be a fatty fatty bum bum.

[video="youtube;UMSWoIKUt98"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UMSWoIKUt98[/video]
I'm sorry but no. I seen some morbid obese women who literally have the bodies of whales. That is how big they are. They claim anyone who tells them to lose weight are fat shaming them. I seen one video of a morbid obese woman who complained that an employee at a store was rude because the employee tried to stop her from trying on a small while she was a triple extra extra extra large. Fat people can chose to be fat or "skinny". If they chose to be fat they should accept the consequences of their lifestyle and decision.

A fat acceptance will not make fat people desirable or prevent them from being unhealthy.
I genuinely do not care about the health of fat people but there is no way that a fat acceptance will get others to find them attractive or healthy in any way. If fat participants in the fat acceptance movement have to spend 100 dollars on "plus size" clothes or get diabetes or a heart attack from their fatness, the joke is on them.
[video="youtube;AGh74l0mtXM"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AGh74l0mtXM[/video]
Reply 47
Original post by z33
idk metabolic damage could **** your body up :dontknow:

nope
Original post by abc_123_
It's gone way too far!!!
People like meghan trainer are actually dissing skinny people for no apparent reason I personally don't think it's attractive to be fat (not that if you're fat you're unattractive tho)
And also clothing companies should not promote plus sizes!!!! Xxx

As well as this, being fat is BAD FOR YOUR HEALTH so we shouldn't endorse it

Meghan Trainor isn't actually fat or even obese. She is bigger than the average chick but she isn't huge. She wasn't dissing skinny people. It was a joke. Depends on the "plus size". Plus size =/= obese size. A size 22 is obese.
Reply 49
I like the idea behind it but I that it has become overrun with idiots who can't get their head round the concept of common sense.

Yeah, fat people can be beautiful and in a perfect world people could be fat without having to face any health issues or discrimination but that simply isn't the case and 'fat activists' can't seem to grasp that.

So many times I have seen fat activists on Tumblr complaining about being 'fat shamed' by their doctor because they told them that they needed to lose weight.

Really?? Your doctor is telling you to lose weight for the benefit of your health not because they're conspiring for all women to be a size 8 or under!

I think it's great that they are advocating self love but they also need to promote self-responsibility; Yes, you can be fat and beautiful but the bottom line is that it's simply not healthy to be that size and you should put that first.
The thing is that being morbidly obese is often more substantial in its detriment to those around than something such as wearing a pink instead of a red tshirt.

The is a line where it doesn't matter somewhere depending on the situation. You will find people trespassing on both sides of that line.

However the fat movement is not a rights issue but shameless self promotion via propaganda just as the Islamophobia movement is more obsessed with improving the image of Muslims than fighting real injustices. Goebbels and Freud would be proud.
If you're fat fine, but we see skinny people too. Exercise etc etc to keep fit should be encouraged and healthy eating. But no need to shame people because of it. Help them not moxk. Some are content with the size they are but as long as not burdening the NHS with hwalth issues it's fine.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by joecphillips
I don't mind over weight people as long as they don't go on about how life is because they are overweight

I'll be damned, you're finally tolerant of a group! Is the sky falling?
Reply 53
Original post by NeoMarxist
I'll be damned, you're finally tolerant of a group! Is the sky falling?

Yes I'm tolerant of fat people but not people who bitch about the consequences of being fat.
Original post by joecphillips
Yes I'm tolerant of fat people but not people who bitch about the consequences of being fat.

We may agree on something for the first time.
Original post by AfcFob
From a person that has gone from clinically obese to a healthy weight in one year I can say I don't agree with it because it is not good to promote that kind of living

As an alternative we should be talking about it in the sense that obese people find it difficult to delay temptation and we should be helping them to improve their ability to delay gratification

Hahhhhha omg im dying
Reply 56
No of course not, overweight means exactly what is says on the tip they are over the medically judged safe and acceptable weight. Simply because Britains populations of larger than life people is growing does not mean that we should be praising people for looking however they do no matter, these saalad dodgers should be told to get a life style change.
A case in point is the recent Ms Holiday being 'fat shamed' but was simply called plus sized by her defendents despite being morbidly obese

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending