The Student Room Group

GCSE AQA English Literature - June 2016 *Official Thread*

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1500
Original post by MeganMcAlister
Did anyone do Poppies and Belfast Confetti for the conflict cluster??

YESSSS I did too
Original post by gigge
Did anyone compare poppies with come on come back ?? i think they suited quite well

Yes! You and my friend at school are the only people who I found who compared poppies with come on come back. I was so confident with those two poems and they matched quite well. hopefully I get an A.
Original post by MeganMcAlister
I'm sure you've done great! I can't tell how I did, although I definitely feel like I did better in the unit 1 exam x

Yes I feel exactly the same! X
Are these points for THCM and Hour ok?
I discussed how thcm is metaphyscial poetry and a dramatic monologue which is structured with thesis antithesis and synthesis with stanza size suggesting differences in time -- I linked with the speakers belief in carpe diem and how he is concerned by time etc. Also belief of carpe diem in hour where the speaker believes the first moments of love should be cherished--- uses sonnet form but a different metre to reflect the special moment they share- hence why they must seize it
Then I discussed how hour's speaker believes in natural love rather than one bombarded by artificial light and worthless tradition - portrays this through extended metaphor of nature and value- I then contrasted this with how the speaker of thcm believes he and the beloved will naturally fall in love through the use of changing pronouns from singular to plural...
Finally I said that both believed love has difficulties but believes they can be overcome if the love is strong enough - e.g rivers in thcm suggests distance but his vegetable live suggests strength and also rivers will meet; hour has a foreboding shadow created by fairytale references and 'but' although they backhand the night due to the power of the hour ...
Please tell me what you think:p:p

Posted from TSR Mobile
I compared To his coy mistress with Manhunt, you can compare the poem with any other poems as long as you back your points up :smile:
Original post by Ziggyyyy
I did Poppies and Bayonet Charge, did anyone else???

my friend did that!
Did anyone compare Poppies with Out of the Blue or was it just me:biggrin:
Loads of people did poppies with Belfast confetti/out of the blue. Spoke to my teachers and it's all good
I did the Right Word and At the Border. ((conflict))
anyone else? xD
Original post by GCSElyfe
Did anyone compare The Right word with At the border,1979?

Posted from TSR Mobile

moi!! thank God theres someone else lol
Idk if I interpreted the Unseen poem right. I talked about how the young soldiers are using the blades in a ruthless way without realising the consequences.
I did Poppies and Out of the Blue. Anyone else did the same?

This is what I commented, I am not sure if it's correct:

Mother not wanting to touch the boy's hair and how he become "intoxicated". Shows mum difficulty of look after him as he let him loose to the "treasure chest". The fact that she could be lonely as no mention to partner and could remember of times like Christmas as "pear tree" used. Child likely died as she saw a "dove" that easily flew away in the sky, making her feel she shouldn't have let him go. (Poppies)

Talked about his difficult choice of whether jumping would mean dying with dignity or other interpretations. The fact that he has to face a difficult choice of accepting death as he is closer to the ground. (Out of the Blue)

Compared imagery in both. Compared how one is repetition shows desperately and other one is metaphor.
(edited 7 years ago)
For relationships I did To His Coy Mistress and Quickdraw, but I'm worrying more and more that I'm wrong☹️
Original post by missimoody
For relationships I did To His Coy Mistress and Quickdraw, but I'm worrying more and more that I'm wrong☹️

If you were able to draw out differences and similarities between the two poems then your fine
Did anyone else do poppies and the falling leaves?
Original post by PokemonSean72
I did Poppies and Out of the Blue. Anyone else did the same?

This is what I commented, I am not sure if it's correct:

Mother not wanting to touch the boy's hair and how he become "intoxicated". Shows mum difficulty of look after him as he let him loose to the "treasure chest". The fact that she could be lonely as no mention to partner and could remember of times like Christmas as "pear tree" used. Child likely died as she saw a "dove" that easily flew away in the sky, making her feel she shouldn't have let him go. (Poppies)

Talked about his difficult choice of whether jumping would mean dying with dignity or other interpretations. The fact that he has to face a difficult choice of accepting death as he is closer to the ground. (Out of the Blue)

Compared imagery in both. Compared how one is repetition shows desperately and other one is metaphor.

Yay! I did the same

I talked about her leaning on the grave like a wishbone, showing how she wishes she can bring him back and how her happiness is reliant on her son being alive. I talked about the freedom of the dove which juxtaposes the lack of freedom of her son, creating a sad tone and makes the reader feel sympathy, and about how she is almost nervous to visit her son's grave

I then talked about the bird imagery in Out of the blue, showing a lack of freedom, this fear of death and him questioning if he will be saved (shown by "does anyone she a soul worth saving?") and the hopelessness of the situation through the white flag imagery
Original post by jenivii
moi!! thank God theres someone else lol

I DID TOO!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
I did the Character and Voice cluster and was so happy with the questions because I was gonna compare Medusa and The Ruined Maid anyway.
I did the question about how characters present themselves/their feelings or something.
I wrote about jealousy, loneliness and power and did a paragraph on each. On each paragraph i did 2 language features and effect on reader for Medusa, and then 2 language features and effect on reader for The Ruined Maid.
For example, when I talked about jealousy in Medusa i did the quote 'as thought my thoughts hissed and spat on my scalp' and wrote that this could mean her thoughts are uncontrollable as they are compared to a snake, and the sibilance of 'spat' and 'scalp' shows an aggressive tone.
I had no clue what to do for the unseen, I found it really difficult. I wrote about how the young boy was not mentally ready for war as all the weapons were dangerous etc etc.
Original post by ellielouxse
I did the Character and Voice cluster and was so happy with the questions because I was gonna compare Medusa and The Ruined Maid anyway.
I did the question about how characters present themselves/their feelings or something.
I wrote about jealousy, loneliness and power and did a paragraph on each. On each paragraph i did 2 language features and effect on reader for Medusa, and then 2 language features and effect on reader for The Ruined Maid.
For example, when I talked about jealousy in Medusa i did the quote 'as thought my thoughts hissed and spat on my scalp' and wrote that this could mean her thoughts are uncontrollable as they are compared to a snake, and the sibilance of 'spat' and 'scalp' shows an aggressive tone.
I had no clue what to do for the unseen, I found it really difficult. I wrote about how the young boy was not mentally ready for war as all the weapons were dangerous etc etc.

I did the same sort of thing for The River God, I'm worrying I've answered the question wrong..
Original post by tashaaparsons
I did the same sort of thing for The River God, I'm worrying I've answered the question wrong..

why?

Quick Reply