Computer Science 2016 Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Grade 2 in STEP 1 here for straight computing
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London
Original post by meganfurley
Past offers for Computer Science at Imperial and Cambridge:

What level STEP has been a condition for Computer Science offers from Imperial or Cambridge?

Has anyone heard of anyone being asked to do STEP 2?

It seems for imperial this year in general comp sci students get STEP 1 and JMC get STEP 3 however some may have more STEP (such as both 1 and 2 or 2 and 3) and some may have no STEP so, at least this year, it's normal to expect STEP 1 unless you've already done something they like before application

Though they do say they only make these offers if they think you can get them so I wouldn't worry about STEP if you are

I haven't got a clue what Cambridge is like though but I'm sure someone who didn't get rejected would ;(
Original post by meganfurley
Fantastic and congrats! Imperial or Cambridge?

Imperial ftw
Reply 463
I have a AEA offer (Merit) for MEng Computing.
I live in Germany and there are no centres which offer AEA Mathematics here. I would have to go to London to take it.

Is it possible to take STEP I instead of AEA? I can take STEP in Germany.
Original post by gerCS
I have a AEA offer (Merit) for MEng Computing.
I live in Germany and there are no centres which offer AEA Mathematics here. I would have to go to London to take it.

Is it possible to take STEP I instead of AEA? I can take STEP in Germany.

I'm sure if you email them they will be fine with that, considering STEP is much harder
Has anyone recieved info on how to apply for Housing?
Reply 466
Original post by suyash2099
Has anyone recieved info on how to apply for Housing?

Nope. Should be coming soon though hopefully
Reply 467
So how much programming experience do you guys have?

Spoiler

BTW, there's a Facebook chat we've made, if anyone is not there and wants to join pm me!
Reply 469
Current first year here. If anyone has any questions, feel free to ask.
Reply 470
Original post by bwr19

How's your first year been?
Original post by bwr19

Probably a stupid question, but there any advantages or disadvantages to using a mac/pc laptop in computer science?
Reply 472
Original post by Jabberjay_
Probably a stupid question, but there any advantages or disadvantages to using a mac/pc laptop in computer science?

Nah, not really. There are a lot of people here with Macs for sure, but equally many people have Windows (including myself). If you do have Windows, consider dual booting with some kind of Linux distribution, though, as it will make things a lot easier for you.

The computers in the laboratory use Ubuntu (and some of them run a Windows virtual machine but it's seldom used).
Reply 473
Original post by zshn
How's your first year been?

Pretty good, thanks for asking! There's certainly a lot of work and you will be under some pressure, but it's totally worth it. Make sure you start out on the correct foot and you should really enjoy the first year. We hold some fantastic events and get in some great guest speakers. The lecturers are generally really passionate about their research and are more than willing to help you out. I've also found that every year is very friendly with each other - so don't be afraid to talk to 2nd, 3rd, 4th years when you get here.

The course is also quite good - a good mix of different disciplines which keeps things interesting. Look forward to 2-4 weekly deadlines, though.

You will be busy, but if you keep on top of it, there's still time to enjoy yourself as well.
Original post by bwr19
Nah, not really. There are a lot of people here with Macs for sure, but equally many people have Windows (including myself). If you do have Windows, consider dual booting with some kind of Linux distribution, though, as it will make things a lot easier for you.

The computers in the laboratory use Ubuntu (and some of them run a Windows virtual machine but it's seldom used).

Also do you know how leniant imperial are with people who miss offers, say getting A*AA instead of A*A*A? Do you know anyone who got in but missed their offer?
Reply 475
Original post by Jabberjay_
Also do you know how leniant imperial are with people who miss offers, say getting A*AA instead of A*A*A? Do you know anyone who got in but missed their offer?

Not very, I'm afraid. I know of people who missed their offer by literally 1 or 2 UMS. Exception may be if you applied to JMC and slightly missed your maths offer - then you may be considered for normal Computing.
Reply 476
Original post by bwr19
Pretty good, thanks for asking! There's certainly a lot of work and you will be under some pressure, but it's totally worth it. Make sure you start out on the correct foot and you should really enjoy the first year. We hold some fantastic events and get in some great guest speakers. The lecturers are generally really passionate about their research and are more than willing to help you out. I've also found that every year is very friendly with each other - so don't be afraid to talk to 2nd, 3rd, 4th years when you get here.

The course is also quite good - a good mix of different disciplines which keeps things interesting. Look forward to 2-4 weekly deadlines, though.

You will be busy, but if you keep on top of it, there's still time to enjoy yourself as well.

Nice to hear a balanced perspective on it, there's a lot of negativity around the workload and social life at Imperial which worried me for a bit.

Are there any halls would you recommend/not recommend applying for?
Reply 477
Original post by bwr19
Not very, I'm afraid. I know of people who missed their offer by literally 1 or 2 UMS. Exception may be if you applied to JMC and slightly missed your maths offer - then you may be considered for normal Computing.

Are they also not very lenient on STEP offers either? Say, if you had an offer of A*AAA (A* in Maths) + STEP 1 at Grade 2, but you get A*A*AA (A* in Further Maths and Maths) but miss out on thr STEP part?

(This is for normal Computing)
Original post by bwr19

Do you think ability with Maths helps more in the first year or previous programming experience?
Reply 479
Original post by zshn
Nice to hear a balanced perspective on it, there's a lot of negativity around the workload and social life at Imperial which worried me for a bit.

Are there any halls would you recommend/not recommend applying for?

Do not apply for Xenia. It's South Kensington prices at a Woodward-ish distance. (I'm there and I wasn't too thrilled when I initially found out)

Woodward is very far but cheap and the best facilities since it only opened this year. Beit is very noisy because it's where the union is so beware of that. Wilson is only a short walk/cycle away, and Pembridge is very small and isolated. Southside/Eastside are extremely nice (and literally across the road from uni) so pick those if the prices are okay for you.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending