The Student Room Group

PGCE - Current Students Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by meme12
Thank you for the reply, when the universities and schools stop accepting new applications ?

There's no set date - it varies from place to place, but if you're applying for this year I'd recommend ASAP.
Original post by kpwxx
You always have a choice. Your mental health is important, and you shouldn't have to feel like that because of your job.

Having said that, do bear in mind that NQT year is usually very different from the PGCE. You have charge of your class, which although it sounds like lots more work (and in ways, it is) it's also easier as you're working to you, not someone else. You get more experience of planning much more quickly and it helps you become quicker at it very fast!

Also, I know it varies from person to person, but I find earlier years much quicker and more intuitive to plan for (and behaviour management and assessment too!). How did you feel on your Early Years placement? If you feel more at home in Early Years that will make a big difference.

Lastly, it sounds like setting aside some time to spend with your family, not thinking about work, would really help. I know that's way easier said than done, but worrying about work is not helping the work get done, it's just intruding on the family time and making you exhausted. Maybe try mindfulness/meditation or something to get your mind off it before you start the time with your family. I like slowly thinking about each part of my body from toes upwards and becoming aware of it. It can really focus you away from thoughts and worries (I know it sounds a bit wishy washy but worth a try!).

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you both so much. You are right and I do really appreciate your comments. My background is early years so I am far more comfortable with EYFS curriculum. Just need to stop worrying constantly.
I do the "relax each body part" with my children when they can't sleep... maybe I should try it myself!

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm doing a PGCE.

I'm just wondering in terms of job applications who should I put as my references?

Should they be my personal tutor on my course, a reference from a placement or a previous employer (I worked for a couple of years between undergrad and PGCE).
I put my tutors from the university , it's ok.
are you applying now?
Yes.

I'm also wondering during half term is it best if I send the application in the post or is it best if I go into the school in person?

I was wanting to meet some of the staff but I'm not sure if anyone will be there during half term?
you have to apply through UCAS
Which subject ?
you already did PGCE, either but you will not find anyone now half term, I think it's good if you put one reference from work and one tutor as reference.
So not even the school office staff will be in?

I'm applying for a primary teaching post.

Just to clarify I'm applying for the actual teaching position and not for the PGCE course so UCAS won't be necessary.
I don't think they will be , but why you don't give them a call Tuesday morning.
Original post by Trainee_teach74

Just to clarify I'm applying for the actual teaching position and not for the PGCE course so UCAS won't be necessary.

There will probably be a member of staff in school during some point in the half term, but I wouldn't rely on it. Best thing to do is to email the person in charge of the applications (usually the headteacher in my experience) and ask if it would be possible to visit the school.

However, ideally you'd be visiting the school you're applying to during the term time. That way you get a feel for it and how the place works. If you haven't done this already and there is time before the applications close, I advise visiting during school hours.

If you have visited, then just send the application any which way - email or post is fine, delivering it in person probably won't get you any brownie points since it'll literally be handed over to the school office and nothing else will come of it.
Every job application I've seen has specified in the ad how to send the app. Usually email, occasionally post. I've never heard of anyone handing it in in person, and I don't see the value of doing it.

Either you just hand it to the office staff, or you're interrupting the slt for no real reason.

I don't think so, phone them Tuesday morning and check .
I'm doing a PGCE.

I'm just wondering in terms of job applications who should I put as my references?

Should they be my personal tutor on my course, a reference from a placement or a previous employer (I worked for a couple of years between undergrad and PGCE).

For your references, your uni's handbook should have guidance on who to put. For example, at my uni, our personal tutors wrote our references but we had to put down the head of school. This is because they were checked regularly so that references could be dealt with swiftly, rather than there being a chance of it sitting in our tutor's pigeon hole for a week while they were out visiting schools etc.

It's also a good idea to let whoever at your uni writes it know you've applied and they might expect a request soon. You can let them know (in a few lines) the key things about the job so that they can tailor the reference if they feel it's appropriate.

For my other reference, I used my mentor from the most relevant PGCE placement. They've seen you teach and can comment on that.
I don't think so, why you don't give them a call on Tuesday.
Reply 7897
Counting down the lessons... Only a few weeks to go... Wow, been a bloody tough year! 😂
I want to use the Tales of Beedle the Bard in my next Literacy topic... does anyone think that would be a problem given that I am currently teaching year 2 and 3???
Original post by beanbrain
I want to use the Tales of Beedle the Bard in my next Literacy topic... does anyone think that would be a problem given that I am currently teaching year 2 and 3???

If the pupils are interested in Harry Potter then it sounds like you're onto a winner. Even if not I imagine it could lead to some interesting discussions. Just be sure to read the book through thoroughly to check for anything that could be inappropriate. If in doubt, ask your mentor.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending