The Student Room Group

Edexcel AS/A2 Mathematics M1 - 8th June 2016 - Official Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Don Joiner
Does anyone else find it hard to figure out whether there is a reaction force happening or not at a support on a beam? It seems quite hit and miss to me :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

If the beam is at the point of turning/tilting, there will be no reaction force at the point/support its about to tilt at, otherwise there will be a reaction force
(or something like that.....)
Original post by XxKingSniprxX
What did you get in M1 last June?

I need a 'B' (70 ums) in M1 minimum but Ideally If I can get 80 ums it would
give me more breathing space if I choke A* in C3/C4 I can still get a A overall. :frown:

What resources did you use to practice for M1 I.e just Edexcel past papers?
I'm hoping to do:
- Regular Edexcel A level M1 past papers: Jan 2011, June 11, Jan 12, June 12, Jan 13, June 13, June 14, June 15 = x8 past papers.
- Edexcel IAL M1 past papers: Jan 14, June 14, Jan 15, June 15, Jan 16
= x5 past papers.
- couple Madasmaths past papers if they are any on M1

= 13 past papers + any madasmaths past papers enough for a B or hopefully a A?

I'm going to start posting any mistakes/flaws in my thinking for every paper on this thread as a way to look back closer to the time. sounds like a good idea or? :smile:

There are Madasmaths past papers for Mechanics 1? :lolwut:
I never knew that I thought madasmaths was mainly for core maths
+ further pure maths. :gasp:

I'm going to just go through any topics I tend to drop marks on in M1 consistently once I finish all those past papers. (edexcel+ial papers)

Do the mixed exercises from the text book first, there are a few things they can theoretically ask but rarely do that are in there, then just do papers. I would start with papers with the lowest ums boundaries (although bear in mind the spec changed at one point so the first few of those will have very low boundaries) and then do more if you want to afterwards
Reply 102
Guys what do you think is goona come up in the exam???
hi, could some one please help me with this question? :

a block of mass 0.8kg is pushed along a rough horizontal floor by a constant horizontal force of magnitude of 7N. The speed of the block increases from 2ms-1 to 4ms-1 in a distance of 4.8m.
calculate (a) the magnitude of the acceleration of the block
(b) the coefficient of friction between the block and the floor

I calculated part (a) the acceleration which is 1.25ms-2
I am stuck on part (b) even though I've looked at the answers, I can't figure it out. thanks
Original post by peacefully_

a block of mass 0.8kg is pushed along a rough horizontal floor by a constant horizontal force of magnitude of 7N. The speed of the block increases from 2ms-1 to 4ms-1 in a distance of 4.8m.

I am stuck on part (b) even though I've looked at the answers, I can't figure it out. thanks

Is the answer 0.76? Don't want to post a wrong method.
Original post by peacefully_

So you should have a diagram whereby there is a 7N force going towards to the right, (F=mewR) going to the left, a reaction force going upwards and the weight (0.8g) due to gravity going downwards and an acceleration (1.25ms-2) going towards the right. Resolve upwards to find the reaction force and that should equal the weight (0.8g). Then resolve to the right to find mew by using F=ma (7-mewR =0.8(1.25)) Then rearrange and you should get mew which I got was 75/98 exact but round it off and it should be 0.765 to 3sf (depending on how you round it).Hope it helps! :smile:
Original post by Logic938
So you should have a diagram whereby there is a 7N force going towards to the right, (F=mewR) going to the left, a reaction force going upwards and the weight (0.8g) due to gravity going downwards and an acceleration (1.25ms-2) going towards the right. Resolve upwards to find the reaction force and that should equal the weight (0.8g). Then resolve to the right to find mew by using F=ma (7-mewR =0.8(1.25)) Then rearrange and you should get mew which I got was 75/98 exact but round it off and it should be 0.765 to 3sf (depending on how you round it).Hope it helps! :smile:

Thank you !! Really helped me :smile:
What are some things we should know in M1 for word related questions?

For example: String is inextensible = acceleration same, Smooth pulley = same tension, string is light = tension same.

Any other ones? :erm:
What are some things we should know in M1 for word related questions?

For example: String is inextensible = acceleration same, Smooth pulley = same tension, string is light = tension same.

Any other ones? :erm:

Uniform plank, why we treat people as particles.
Q) Where do you tend to drop a lot of your marks I.e what topics?

I lose a lot of my marks from the stupid v/t graphs. :hmmmm2: :argh:

I hope to be picking up marks on them very soon ... :nodots:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Middriver
Uniform plank, why we treat people as particles.

There was another question asking why can A be modelled as a particle.
Can you say that the weight is concentrated at the center? :s-smilie:
There was another question asking why can A be modelled as a particle.
Can you say that the weight is concentrated at the center? :s-smilie:

Yeah i believe that's right.
Guys I have a chemistry as exam 2 days after m1 and m2 , c3 and c4 in the weeks after.
Should I start revising m1 now or start revising for my other exam such as c3 and c4 since I want an A* in maths?
Original post by mani119
Guys I have a chemistry as exam 2 days after m1 and m2 , c3 and c4 in the weeks after.
Should I start revising m1 now or start revising for my other exam such as c3 and c4 since I want an A* in maths?

I've had exams like that, if I were you I'd revise Chemistry now (until you feel you've done enough) and then do M1 until the exam, then Chem the next day and work out what to do with the rest. (This is assuming you have worked enough for C3/C4/M2 previously, if you need to relearn everything then you need a better plan :tongue:)
Q) Where do you tend to drop a lot of your marks I.e what topics?

I lose a lot of my marks from the stupid v/t graphs. :hmmmm2: :argh:

I hope to be picking up marks on them very soon ... :nodots:

My biggest fear in M1 was the resolving forces type questions, more specifically stuff like rings on strings and elevators with more than one object on them, and things hanging on planes and stuff.
Original post by SeanFM
My biggest fear in M1 was the resolving forces type questions, more specifically stuff like rings on strings and elevators with more than one object on them, and things hanging on planes and stuff.

Ah. I felt the same until 2-3 days ago when I recapped my knowledge on them & reviewed couple pp q's. I have to say Madasmaths is the best resource available to student so many questions/examples on each topic with worked solutions I.e you can see how they resolved in what direction & how the diagrams look like.

I went over my M1 paper last year June 15, which I got a 'D' and did it again and went +18 raw marks and scrapped 'A' without doing any past papers. I just hope a similar paper like last year comes up though I'm going to try & do everything I can.

What exams have you got left? what are you applying for?
Ah. I felt the same until 2-3 days ago when I recapped my knowledge on them & reviewed couple pp q's. I have to say Madasmaths is the best resource available to student so many questions/examples on each topic with worked solutions I.e you can see how they resolved in what direction & how the diagrams look like.

I went over my M1 paper last year June 15, which I got a 'D' and did it again and went +18 raw marks and scrapped 'A' without doing any past papers. I just hope a similar paper like last year comes up though I'm going to try & do everything I can.

What exams have you got left? what are you applying for?

Yes, madasmaths is a very useful site :yep:

Ah, that'll probably be the hardest past paper yet so.. if you can get an A first time next time then that is good :tongue:

I sat M1 in 2014 :moon: a second year starting-my-third-year-maths student at Bath and have am on summer holiday :colondollar:
Original post by SeanFM
Yes, madasmaths is a very useful site :yep:

Ah, that'll probably be the hardest past paper yet so.. if you can get an A first time next time then that is good :tongue:

I sat M1 in 2014 :moon: a second year starting-my-third-year-maths student at Bath and have am on summer holiday :colondollar:

Haha, then you have to teach me your ways "Senpai" :laugh: The irony :lol:

How you finding maths at Bath? Hows the uni like?
What u wanna do after uni?.

Hows life as a mod? :grin:

Haha, then you have to teach me your ways "Senpai" :laugh: The irony :lol:

How you finding maths at Bath? Hows the uni like?
What u wanna do after uni?.

Hows life as a mod? :grin:

:lol: there is no secret, throughout the year I worked hard for Maths and Further maths (did every question in the textbook for almost every module) and mechanics isn't my strong point but I was lucky to not have an icky paper, and just being careful in the exam and double checking every line, returning to questions to double check everything.

My opinion on Bath (though it's not really Bath but Maths at uni tbh) is mixed. There have been some interesting areas-ish but a lot of it is just :puke: and I'm not a huge fan of Algebra/Analysis. However, Bath is good in that in the second/third years there are loads of interesting options (some maths related, some not so much) that you can study so I am excited about that. Bath in general is great, with even some 'education' modules to do with teaching maths/science at primary/secondary schools.

The one complaint I have is timetabling. I disagree with second+ years having 9:30 exams or even 9:15 lectures - it's just inconvenient (sounds easy if you start secondary/6th form at 9:00 but it's a bit different to that to be honest, and the hours that you spend in lectures can just drag on (I've literally dozed off in lectures after having 3 or 4 in a row). The exam timetables aren't the best they could be either - exams are spread over 3 weeks, and this semester it was Wednesday 16:30 and Friday 16:30 on the first week, same on second and then MONDAY at 9:30 when it could have been on the last Friday, almost everyone had finished exams before that Monday apart from that last exam so it was silly not to have it on Friday really. And the last complaint about timetabling is that there are just 2 or 3 hour gaps between timetables that aren't long enough for it to be worth going home, and it's effort to study at the library during those hours :dontknow:

Life as a mod.. :dontknow: it's not too bad :tongue: it's interesting how much stuff actually goes on behind the scenes (which I didn't know even existed before) but I can't comment further on that :wink:
Original post by SeanFM
x

Ah I see. I'm just doing Jan 2012-June 15 regular edexcel past papers (6 past papers) + all the available past papers for Edexcel IAL Jan 14-Jan 16 (5 past papers) = 11 past papers in total + x number of madasmaths past papers that I can fit in my schedule before the exam day & recapping/going through a large majority of Madasmaths Q's/Examples for every module. :sigh: ---> :work: = 24/7.

Its worked perfectly for C3/C4 went from 62%(c) to 93-95% (a*).
I just need to make sure I score 80% in M1 or at worse 75% to make sure I bag the A* as 90% in C3/C4 isn't hard but the 480 ums given I fkd up my most important AS module(C2) when I should have got 100% ums. :argh:

Do you learn about 'game theory' in your 3rd year at bath or?
It seems really interesting. :tongue:

Ouch, what 5 unis did u apply to via ucas & what was your insurance? :smile:
I know them feels. :jumphug: Fair enough... :shh: Our convo being watched! :lol:
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending