The Student Room Group

GCSE AQA English Literature - June 2016 *Official Thread*

Scroll to see replies

Okay so most ppl for relationships did the 1st question but i did the second q for relationships and i compared brothers/nettles whereas everyone who did the 2nd question did brothers and sister maude, so will the fact ive done something no one else has done have more chance of lowering my mark or increasing my mark?

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Ella_08
This is great, v insightful :wink:

Omg you don't know how happy you have just made me feel :h: I am really bad at poetry and especially unseen poetry, so that is so nice to hear! I'm sure you will have very done well :wink: I know this seems completely excessive but you've really brightened up my day :wink: 😂 Thank you! 😊
Original post by FfionT
YESSSS I did too

Yes, I also did!!! I found them easy to compare as well as they shared a page for extra convenience!!!!
Did anyone else compare Brothers/ Quickdraw in relationships? :smile:
Original post by beccaholland
Anybody compare 'The Ruined Maid' with 'Les Grands Seigneurs'? I'm so happy this question came up, it was perfect! Unseen was good too :smile:

me!!
I compared THCM to Hour but wrote a massive point on how time's presented even though the question was just on attitudes towards love.. Do you reckon that's okay?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I think I did a really bad job with the unseen poem ngl. I wrote about the title being like a relationship between two people almost personifying the weapons, suggesting the speaker is being a bit crazy, making the weapons out to be something with a mind of its own, showing the speaker's hatred towards the weapons - now I'm typing this I could've maybe added how it shows the speaker's hatred towards the IDEA of the boy going to war rather than just the weapons lol. I also mentioned tones of hatred through alliteration, softer words like "nuzzle" juxtaposing the bad words describing the weapons (emphasises innocence of the boy), and also "sharp with the sharpness" - near repetition accentuates danger of weapons. I don't think this is a very in depth analysis tbh.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by alicerose.j
I compared THCM to Hour but wrote a massive point on how time's presented even though the question was just on attitudes towards love.. Do you reckon that's okay?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Time is a major part of both poems in its presentation of love and so I think as long as you made some sort of reference to the time being used to show the need to fall in love now and cherish the moment, it should be ok :smile:. Also for your other post, I like your points! The one you said you should have added wasn't worth adding tbh because it isn't necessarily the speakers feelings but how he presents the impact of weapons on the boy- so you didn't need it :redface:. Hopefully it will turn out well for you , best of luck :smile: .

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Pepsi Cola :)
Omg you don't know how happy you have just made me feel :h: I am really bad at poetry and especially unseen poetry, so that is so nice to hear! I'm sure you will have very done well :wink: I know this seems completely excessive but you've really brightened up my day :wink: 😂 Thank you! 😊

Honestly i was so impressed by ur answer! like the assonance thing was great (I had no idea it was in there). I loved the colour interpretation too :tongue: aw i'm happy i made you feel more confident, you should feel really happy with it. I think i did well, Wilfred Owen is my hero!!! I only spent a bit of time on it - i talked about the blood/ and the juxtaposition between the soft word "stroke" and the hard alliteration, showing that war has become conventional for the soldier as he's treating the weapon like a toy. Something like that. for structure, i said that the uniform 4 stanza length shows the blind obedience of soldiers and how theyre dominated by authority figures/ have their fate already laid out. Stuff like that. Also what cluster do you do? :smile: :smile:
Original post by leopard923
Time is a major part of both poems in its presentation of love and so I think as long as you made some sort of reference to the time being used to show the need to fall in love now and cherish the moment, it should be ok :smile:. Also for your other post, I like your points! The one you said you should have added wasn't worth adding tbh because it isn't necessarily the speakers feelings but how he presents the impact of weapons on the boy- so you didn't need it :redface:. Hopefully it will turn out well for you , best of luck :smile: .

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you so much! Hopefully it will go well and good luck to you too! (if you did the exam, I guess you did if you're on here lol)x

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by alicerose.j
Thank you so much! Hopefully it will go well and good luck to you too! (if you did the exam, I guess you did if you're on here lol)x

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by lucygr8y
This is a summary of what I wrote in the unseen. Is this ok?!

1) Repetition- 'sharp and sharpness' + other examples to suggest how the weapons yearn war.
2) Tension- the men don't want to fight but the weapons are 'hungry for blood
3) Personification- there were a couple of examples- these show the weapons desire for war/ the effect they have.
4) Simile
5) 'cold steel' description= the weapons were heartless and emotionless about war
6) View of God- he didn't grow talons so this showed he didn't want there to be fighting
7) View of people due to God- the benevolence of God caused the people to think against the war and the weapons. This meant they would be scarred by wa
8) Imagery- the line about the bullet shooting through the heart.

In the character and voice, I compared the change in The Ruined Maid to Brendon Gallacher.

yes I talked about some of your points. However I believe that for an A* you needed to talk about form/structure. I talked about how the syllables and rhyme were inconsistent, which perhaps is symbolic of the fact that war and war weapons are unpredictable. I then expanded by saying that this unpredictability is reinforced by the permeating idea of appearance vs reality, so then i used the 'cold steel' as an example and expanded. I also talked a lot about oxymoron's, juxtaposition and enjambment and other techniques.
Original post by Krish235
yes I talked about some of your points. However I believe that for an A* you needed to talk about form/structure. I talked about how the syllables and rhyme were inconsistent, which perhaps is symbolic of the fact that war and war weapons are unpredictable. I then expanded by saying that this unpredictability is reinforced by the permeating idea of appearance vs reality, so then i used the 'cold steel' as an example and expanded. I also talked a lot about oxymoron's, juxtaposition and enjambment and other techniques.

I don't think you have to talk about all of them tbh, the Section B mark scheme says and/or between language, structure and form. I think, if you do 2 its still good, or even 1 as long as you do them well. They generally have low expectations for unseens because well, no one has ever seen it before and we have to analyse and write an essay about it in 30 mins so it is easy to leave things out.
Original post by studentgcse2016
me!!

Yay! What did you write?
Does anyone know what came up in the AQA foundation paper for Character and Voice?
Guys is there chance of getting an A without mentioning structure in the unseen ugh I completely forgot 😳
Original post by Tutor 101
Does anyone know what came up in the AQA foundation paper for Character and Voice?

I done foundation, character and voice and the The River God and The Clown Punk came up, I picked the The River God

Posted from TSR Mobile
I did relationship poetry higher and and THCM and sonnet 116 I talked about how when time stops love ends in to his coy mistress whereas when time ends in sonnet 116 love prevails I mentioned a lot of techniques, structure and form to get the higher band
Original post by gigge
Guys is there chance of getting an A without mentioning structure in the unseen ugh I completely forgot 😳

I think it should be okay because the mark scheme says language and 'or' form and 'or' structure but i hope its okay too bc i mentioned a lot of form and structure but only mentioned repetition as a language feature oops!

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by quiiddle
I think it should be okay because the mark scheme says language and 'or' form and 'or' structure but i hope its okay too bc i mentioned a lot of form and structure but only mentioned repetition as a language feature oops!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah thanks I got 38/40 in my coursework would that be able to save me not sure what the percentage to coursework and exam is though do you know?:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending