Scroll to see replies

Original post by Ethan100
What are causes of crimes ?!??

MODERN STUDIES PRELIM WAS SOO RUSHED NOT MUCH TIME IS GIVEN :frown:

Geographical location
Peer Pressure
Alcohol
Original post by alx2000
Will this be your last exam? Its mine, I cant wait till I no longer have to spend days on end revising, its so boring!

It's my last exam also :tongue:
Reply 62
If anyone needs some practice KU questions, modernstudiestutor.com has loads!
Reply 63
What are causes of crimes ?!??

MODERN STUDIES PRELIM WAS SOO RUSHED NOT MUCH TIME IS GIVEN :frown:

I got told we had the prelim the day before and I had 3 other tests that week lol love it. Was your prelim for modern really late? Mine was late April. Causes of crime could be lack of education, poor upbringing, lack of role models, poverty, substance abuse etc
Reply 64
Original post by alx2000
If anyone needs some practice KU questions, modernstudiestutor.com has loads!

Yes! I love that it basically does the work for you
Original post by Puppo
I got told we had the prelim the day before and I had 3 other tests that week lol love it. Was your prelim for modern really late? Mine was late April. Causes of crime could be lack of education, poor upbringing, lack of role models, poverty, substance abuse etc

Damn, that's unlucky. No our prelims were actually the start of the year In january. I don't understand why Modern is 1 hour 30 minutes because usually the SQA make the exam times so you have a little time to check what you have written. This is not the case with modern, sadly ;(

Thanks for the causes of crime :smile:
Reply 66
Damn, that's unlucky. No our prelims were actually the start of the year In january. I don't understand why Modern is 1 hour 30 minutes because usually the SQA make the exam times so you have a little time to check what you have written. This is not the case with modern, sadly ;(

Thanks for the causes of crime :smile:

The exam is actually 1 hour 45 minutes but it's still not great. I can write quite fast but writing fast and legible is a whole other issue haha. No problem, if you need statistics or examples for anything let me know and I'll see if I have anything :smile:
Original post by Puppo
The exam is actually 1 hour 45 minutes but it's still not great. I can write quite fast but writing fast and legible is a whole other issue haha. No problem, if you need statistics or examples for anything let me know and I'll see if I have anything :smile:

Hahaha Yeah that's what I meant

They really can't ask for legible writing when we are given that time.
Okay thanks, If I need anything Ill give you a shout :smile: !
Reply 68
If anyone could help w this it'd b much appreciated!

So I know the pros and cons of 2 voting systems- ams and stv. Do I need to know about fptp as well or am I ok knowing the two I know? Thank you!
Original post by Puppo
If anyone could help w this it'd b much appreciated!

So I know the pros and cons of 2 voting systems- ams and stv. Do I need to know about fptp as well or am I ok knowing the two I know? Thank you!

I do not even know what stv/ams is but If you are doing Democracy in the UK there may be questions specifically talking about first past the post. I had one in the prelim :smile:
Reply 70
I do not even know what stv/ams is but If you are doing Democracy in the UK there may be questions specifically talking about first past the post. I had one in the prelim :smile:

I'm doing democracy in scotland so I'm hoping it isn't something I need to know. Thanks for the help, I was quite confused! :smile:
Original post by alx2000
Did any of you who were taught the Democracy in Scotland unit learn about the reasons why we have councils? I did but I'm not sure whether to revise that because its not on the course notes at all on SQA so I'm not sure if it was just an extra bit my school done?

No, we never learnt about that but we did learn about councils. I think you should still revise that but don't pay too much attention to it.
Reply 72
Original post by Puppo
I'm doing democracy in scotland so I'm hoping it isn't something I need to know. Thanks for the help, I was quite confused! :smile:

We will only need to know about FPTP very briefly as it is part of the AMS voting system but the only time we would have to speak about FPTP is in a question where we are explaining how AMS works I am sure.
This may be a stupid question but if the question is out of 8 marks and it's an advantage/disadvantage type question and you are doing 3 paragraphs how would you split it up. For example if you did 2 advantages then 1 disadvantage would that be okay or would it have to be equal ?
This may be a stupid question but if the question is out of 8 marks and it's an advantage/disadvantage type question and you are doing 3 paragraphs how would you split it up. For example if you did 2 advantages then 1 disadvantage would that be okay or would it have to be equal ?

If it was an 8 marker and the question was advantages and disadvantages..

I would do 2 advantages and 2 disadvantages (personal preference) :biggrin:
If I was asked a question about how an election system operates, for example First Past the Post. How would I divide/Write how it operates in paragraphs.

How do I divide 1 system in say 3 paragraphs, What would you talk about ?
If I was asked a question about how an election system operates, for example First Past the Post. How would I divide/Write how it operates in paragraphs.

How do I divide 1 system in say 3 paragraphs, What would you talk about ?

I do democracy in scotland and I've only learnt ams
Reply 77
Original post by alx2000
We will only need to know about FPTP very briefly as it is part of the AMS voting system but the only time we would have to speak about FPTP is in a question where we are explaining how AMS works I am sure.

Thanks a bunch! I'll cover it briefly tomorrow
Consequences
Financial - Costs a lot for small companies especially, causes great loss of money and bankruptcy, can harm companies and individuals, costs £2,600 per crime
Physiological - Emotional effects can often be worst effect, makes victim feel vulnerable and scared to leave house. Feel unprotected and loss of trust. Often affects elderly people the most. An example of a crime with bad emotional effects may be abuse.
Physical - Physical effects can also be very bad with very damaging effects and even death. Can place limitations on the person and cause them long damaging effects on their lives and their family around them as they have to care for the victim. Can lead to hospitalization. An example of a crime to lead to this is physical/ domestic abuse.
Sorry this is so close to the exam, Good Luck for tomorrow!
I saw someone ask for consequences of crime but now I cant find who asked it?? I dont even understand :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest