The Student Room Group

GCSE AQA Economics Thread -- 6th June / 9th June

Hi

This is a thread for the GCSE AQA Economics exams which are on next Monday and Thursday.

How's everybody feeling about Unit 11?

Is everyone just as confused as I am regarding what exactly we need to know for the key issues? (Globalisation and Environmental Issues)

Please share notes and I will add them to the opening post.

Enjoy and good luck :smile:

EXAM DATES
Unit 11: Personal Economics -- Monday 06 June 2016
Unit 12: Managing the Economy and Key Issues -- Thursday 09 June 2016
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Username1502
Hi

This is a thread for the GCSE AQA Economics exams which are on next Monday and Thursday.

How's everybody feeling about Unit 11?

Is everyone just as confused as I am regarding what exactly we need to know for the key issues? (Globalisation and Environmental Issues)

Please share notes and I will add them to the opening post.

Enjoy and good luck :smile:

EXAM DATES
Unit 11: Personal Economics -- Monday 06 June 2016
Unit 12: Managing the Economy and Key Issues -- Thursday 09 June 2016

Feeling pretty confident on Unit 11, but Unit 12 is going to be harder and the grade boundaries are higher as well :frown:. The two research tasks have less content than other sections, but you need to know them in more detail. For example for Globalisation, you should know the benefits of Globalisation to LEDC's but if you are adding extra detail you should say how it benefits LEDC's more than MEDC's such as access to better quality technology.
Original post by Obnox
Feeling pretty confident on Unit 11, but Unit 12 is going to be harder and the grade boundaries are higher as well :frown:. The two research tasks have less content than other sections, but you need to know them in more detail. For example for Globalisation, you should know the benefits of Globalisation to LEDC's but if you are adding extra detail you should say how it benefits LEDC's more than MEDC's such as access to better quality technology.

Ahhhh -- great thanks.

Do you have a checklist or something with a list of things which may be worth researching for the key issues? I've literally no idea about the MEDC and LEDC thing you've just mentioned -- and the exam's next week!
Reply 3
Ahhhh -- great thanks.

Do you have a checklist or something with a list of things which may be worth researching for the key issues? I've literally no idea about the MEDC and LEDC thing you've just mentioned -- and the exam's next week!

I have a bit of a checklist that might help, it says the Issues for Investigation are:

- Definition of Globalisation
- Features of Globalisation e.g Increased international trade, emergence of global brands, freer movement of goods and services etc
- Benefits of Globalisation e.g. Greater range of goods for consumers, increased market size, access to cheap labour etc
- Drawbacks of Globalisation e.g. Local companies driven out of business (particularly LEDC's), the majority of the money is taken by the MNC's instead of given to local communities etc
- Ethical issues relating to Globalisation e.g. Worsens inequality between rich and poor, exploiting workers (low pay, long hours), possibly damage local economies and tradition etc
Original post by Obnox
I have a bit of a checklist that might help, it says the Issues for Investigation are:

- Definition of Globalisation
- Features of Globalisation e.g Increased international trade, emergence of global brands, freer movement of goods and services etc
- Benefits of Globalisation e.g. Greater range of goods for consumers, increased market size, access to cheap labour etc
- Drawbacks of Globalisation e.g. Local companies driven out of business (particularly LEDC's), the majority of the money is taken by the MNC's instead of given to local communities etc
- Ethical issues relating to Globalisation e.g. Worsens inequality between rich and poor, exploiting workers (low pay, long hours), possibly damage local economies and tradition etc

Wow thanks! This helps so much! Do I need to know specific companies and facts or statistics for my longer-response answers in the exam or not; just some basic theory?
Reply 5
Wow thanks! This helps so much! Do I need to know specific companies and facts or statistics for my longer-response answers in the exam or not; just some basic theory?

You don't need to know specific companies just refer to the case study a lot and then expand your points from your knowledge. I wouldn't worry about using figures in Globalisation, but try and use 1 or 2 facts of figures in the Environmental Issues 12/14 marker if you can as it doesn't hurt :smile:.
Feeling okay for economics, unit 12's my better paper even though the boundaries are higher haha
Haven't really revised all that much, but I have three exams (history, economics and admaths) on the first Monday back so it's not looking good really... how do you guys structure the 12/14 markers?
Reply 7
Original post by Vanilla Cupcake
Feeling okay for economics, unit 12's my better paper even though the boundaries are higher haha
Haven't really revised all that much, but I have three exams (history, economics and admaths) on the first Monday back so it's not looking good really... how do you guys structure the 12/14 markers?

I write around 3 or sometimes 4 paragraphs (2 for and 1 against) for the question with a pretty detailed conclusion as it counts for half of the marks.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Obnox
I write around 3 or sometimes 4 paragraphs (2 for and 1 against) for the question with a pretty detailed conclusion as it counts for half of the marks.

Posted from TSR Mobile

What kind of things are we aiming to pick up on in our conclusion after we pick the best option. What kind of ideas should we touch upon for justification?

And don't you find it weird that conclusion is worth half marks!!! (e2)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Vanilla Cupcake

Same :frown:

I have my History paper in the morning, AddMaths during afternoon and the Economics after school!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
What kind of things are we aiming to pick up on in our conclusion after we pick the best option. What kind of ideas should we touch upon for justification?

And don't you find it weird that conclusion is worth half marks!!! (e2)

Posted from TSR Mobile

You write a decision at the start of the conclusion with a reason why you have decided to pick the certain side. Then you should explain why that reason is the most important reason with a bit of an explanation to go along.

Posted from TSR Mobile
guys how do u usually revise for econ? like just past papers or notes ... i try to do a bit of both but i wanna know what works for you all!
Reply 12
Original post by mariale99
guys how do u usually revise for econ? like just past papers or notes ... i try to do a bit of both but i wanna know what works for you all!

Both work well, just do as much practice on past papers as you can 😊

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 13
how much do you need to revise for unit 11? They practically give you the info in the text
Original post by _mxrky
how much do you need to revise for unit 11? They practically give you the info in the text

To be completely honest -- not much at all. Really, I think Unit 11 is just a means of testing your information manipulation skills. Perhaps Chapter Three might be handy to revise for....
BUMP -- any one else taking this exam??
To get to the point, my teacher is a retard.
No idea what each section of the U11 and U12 paper are about, although I did get an a star in the mocks, but believe it was a fluke - I literally ********ted my way through each paper.
Now all you guys are talking about research topics; what the f***?
It would be much appreciated if anyone can answer these questions:
What is each section about?
What are the research topics?
Why are there 14 mark questions on the U12 paper?
How do you get 6 marks on the evaluation for the 12/14 mark questions?
What are balance of payments?
What are tariffs?
Thanks in advance
Original post by Merc560sel

What are tariffs?
Thanks in advance

unit 11: money, work, international trade or global economy can't remember
unit 12: managing the economy, globalisation, environmental issues

research topics are globalisation and environmental issues, you have to carry out your own research and get some nice data together

i think two marks are for including your own research so it becomes 8 + 6

never managed it so i wouldn't know lmao

balance of payments is an 'account of all money coming in and going out of the UK', so basically our imports compared to our exports. one of the macroeconomic objectives is to have a balance so exports = imports, but we're in a deficit so imports > exports

tax on imports/exports? someone confirm
Kinda worried because I feel like 1 hour and 15 minutes is so insufficient :frown:
Original post by Merc560sel
To get to the point, my teacher is a retard.
No idea what each section of the U11 and U12 paper are about, although I did get an a star in the mocks, but believe it was a fluke - I literally ********ted my way through each paper.
Now all you guys are talking about research topics; what the f***?
What are tariffs?
Thanks in advance

The Unit 11 paper centres on Personal Economics as AQA like to call it:
- Managing your money
- Work
- Global Economy (don't really see how this is 'personal economics' -- but okay AQA)

The Unit 12 paper, you can't really blag your way through to be honest:
- Managing the economy -- the UK economy basically. Practically the only useful and relevant part to this course TBCH
- Key Issue: GLOBALISATION (requires research, scroll up for a nice list that @Obnox made earlier :P )
- Key Issue: ENVIRONMENTAL ISSUE (just as baffed as you to be completely honest regarding this one)

What is perhaps most annoying about AQA and this course is that it is so ambiguous, and my teacher is, despite being pretty decent, hardly good! There's not even past papers for the key issues! UGHH

Quick Reply

Latest