The Student Room Group

OCR Chemistry A Exam Thread (Breadth - May 27 2016 and Depth - June 10 2016)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by 11234
But then to what degree do you advantage a candidate like before cambridge looked for above 90/95 ums as ums was a decent comparative method but now you cant really set a threshold to what youre looking for so maybe they have changed to raw marks but I dont see that working. Like they may both be As but what type of A because ums isnt linear

Again, AS won't be taken into account as much (or at all really). If anything, they will be putting more weighting towards GCSE and A Level predicted grades.
Original post by ComputeiT
Well the ocr textbook says that there is a precipitate from the reaction so we should be correct!

after a few mins of googling apparently, there is a precipitate but its soluble ??
but hope the book is right
Reply 542
Original post by neil20143
Again, AS won't be taken into account as much (or at all really). If anything, they will be putting more weighting towards GCSE and A Level predicted grades.

But thats kinda tenuous I hope they have a more solid way of differentiating between candidates. I mean you had a year to improve on from GCSEs and predicted grades are determined by teachers who can change them slightly
Just checked the actual specification on the ocr website and under 3.1.4 Qualitative analysis it says:

"Sequence of tests required is carbonate, sulfate thenhalide. (BaCO3 and Ag2SO4 are both insoluble.)"

oh ok good
Would 43/70 be a B or C?
Does anyone have a copy of the paper or at least the questions and topics covered? Would like to know for sure what wasn't covered so I can revise for it thoroughly for paper 2.
Just checked the actual specification on the ocr website and under 3.1.4 Qualitative analysis it says:

"Sequence of tests required is carbonate, sulfate thenhalide. (BaCO3 and Ag2SO4 are both insoluble.)"

I have tweeted the page and hopefully he will explain his answer but I think he may have just made a mistake
Original post by CyrusKLS
Does anyone have a copy of the paper or at least the questions and topics covered? Would like to know for sure what wasn't covered so I can revise for it thoroughly for paper 2.

Here you go- https://twitter.com/ChemistryALevel
But I would suggest against that because they bring things up again. other than the large markers like the Le Chattier question
Reply 548
Original post by WhyAlwaysMe?!
Is it confirmed that raw marks will be reported on our results sheet?

Yes. It says so on the official OCR specification for this qualification
Original post by A Sajid
Here you go- https://twitter.com/ChemistryALevel
But I would suggest against that because they bring things up again. other than the large markers like the Le Chattier question

The topics may come up again but what's for sure is that mass and IR spectrometry and the reaction mechanisms are sure to come..
Original post by 11234
But thats kinda tenuous I hope they have a more solid way of differentiating between candidates. I mean you had a year to improve on from GCSEs and predicted grades are determined by teachers who can change them slightly

Well unfortunately it would be nice to say AS will have some value next year but I heavily doubt it as that won't be fair on schools who are choosing not to sit them. But I guess extra-curricular will be something they'll look more at as well.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by 11234

I think I've said this three times now: they are introducing new Admissions Assessments which will replace the role of UMS.
Reply 552
Original post by kiwifruit99
Would 43/70 be a B or C?

I think 43 will be a C, although you won't be far off a B.
Original post by oni176
I think 43 will be a C, although you won't be far off a B.

That is 60% which could very well be a B
Reply 554
Original post by asinghj
That is 60% which could very well be a B

Yes, usually 70% is a B. Obviously because this is a new specification they will lower it down slightly, but considering everyone didn't find the questions too difficult by observing at the comments the candidates are making, the mark will be close to a B but have missed it by 1-2 marks.
Original post by oni176
Yes, usually 70% is a B. Obviously because this is a new specification they will lower it down slightly, but considering everyone didn't find the questions too difficult by observing at the comments the candidates are making, the mark will be close to a B but have missed it by 1-2 marks.

Fair enough, but you can't assume that the whole country found it easy just by looking at the student room, so I reckon that 75% will be an A and 60% might just about be a B
Reply 556
Original post by asinghj
Fair enough, but you can't assume that the whole country found it easy just by looking at the student room, so I reckon that 75% will be an A and 60% might just about be a B

I would love 60% for a B but it is very unlikely, as that's too low for that grade. I would suggest 65% for a B.
Could you put 2OH- rather than NaOH?
Original post by Adamrog9

Should be alright, depends on the MS with it being a new spec
Reply 559
Original post by Adamrog9

I put exactly the same thing so that's two of us

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending